|Posted By:||Garland Elizabeth DeCourcy|
|Subject:||Who is Joseph E. Walling b.1/16/1838 Oswego co, NY|
|Post Date:||February 27, 2002 at 16:45:40|
|Forum:||Walling Family Genealogy Forum|
I am looking for the family of my gggreat grandfather Joseph Eden Walling b. 1/16/1838 Oswego co, NY died 10/22/1923. My great aunt who cares for all the family graves in Butte NE shall try to track down his death certificate later this year.
The Oswego county Genealogical society/ Records center checked the 1820 Federal Census and found no Wallings but found Willam Wallin between 26-45,(household had 1 male under 10, 2 female under 10, 1 female 26-45) They were in Richland, Oswego, NY. She thinks that this male under 10 could very well be the father of my Joseph born 1/16/1838. Does anyone have any info on this family of this William Wallin & his wife & kids?
1830 Census index for Richland, Oswego, NY has 2 Wallings listed Eden Walling & Oliver Walling. If anyone has access to full census info or has knowledge of these fellows & /or their household please send it my way.
In Richland, Oswego co NY genweb site they have a list of "overseers of Highway" & there was an Elden Wallen elected 3/6/1838 listed
I have him marrying in Beloit, Wisconsin 2/16/1865 to Elizabeth J. Casper b. 11/20/1835 d. 12/24/1900 witness & family presumed mother Mrs. Jane L. Casper.
They lived in WI, IL, OH & lived, died & buried in Butte NE.
Here is a picture of him from a GAR post http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/county/boyd/vets.html (he is front row far right. note in the list there is a Eden Walling listed. Also Hiram Henry Atwood is the father of Logan John Atwood who married Mae Elizabeth Walling [Josephs granddaughter from his son Charles Edwin/Edward, see her below) The Levi Bennett also married into the family via a Mary Walling & had an Alta Bennet.
My Joseph Eden Walling was in the Civil war rooster for Wisconsin w/ a presumed brother:
Joseph E. Walling sergent 47th WI infantry company H (Veterans Volunteer Corps.; residence Beloit, enlist or muster in Feb 3 or 8/1865, muster out 9/4/1865 [presume he was in the service in another war via the "veteran corps")
Eden Walling, Pvt. 22nd Wisc Infantry company I;
residence Beloit, enlistment or muster in date 8/5/1862 discharge 1/24/1863 disability.
I know alot of names travel & get passed down in families.
The Joseph E. Walling above & Elizabeth Casper had 4 children that I know of:
1) Charles Edwin (also listed sometimes as Edward) Walling b. 6/12/1866 This is my direct decendant who had to leave his wife & kids when there was some gambling mix up w/ the Dix family & changed his name to Charlie Wilder. We believe he died during a flu epidemic in WY as family didn't hear from him after that & his wife & 5 of their young kids took to walking from Rapid City, SD to Butte, SD. They got lost in the wilderness & were rescued & made it back to the home of Joseph E. Walling in NE. Would like to find birth info for him if available.
2) Ella May Walling b. 4/8/1868 d. 7/3/1885
3) Ralph Devillo Walling b. 2/4/1871 d. 3/7/1873
4) Pearl E. R. J. Walling b. 8/4/1878 d. 4/1881
Charles Edwin/Edward Walling above married Katherine "Kate" Elizabeth O'Mahoney (b. abt 1865 as 6yrs of age when survived the Great Chicago Fire d. 10/28/1937 buried in Butte NE. dau of Michael C. O'Mahoney & Hanna J. Mulville) 10/28/1890 Woodstock, Pipestone, Minnesota [I have the marriage documentation on order]
they had 6 kids:
had twin girls 1st:
1) Ora Walling
2) Ollie Walling
3) Mae Elizabeth "Lizzy" Walling (my ggrandmother)m. Logan John Atwood had 10 kids, 1 being my grandma, Thelma Lavina Atwood Corse who remembers this Joseph E. Walling, as she & her mother moved for a time to Butte NE to tend to the ailing man & my grandma had to attend "The Country school" there that year til he passed.
4) Pearl Katherine Walling
5) Joseph Edward Walling
6) Thelma "Babe" Walling