|Posted By:||Dori Partsch|
|Subject:||Re: Wilder Book on Walling Family|
|Post Date:||July 17, 2002 at 11:14:17|
|Forum:||Walling Family Genealogy Forum|
I was "tracking" Eden Walling in hopes that he would provide some clues to the ancestors of my ggg-grandfather, George E. Brown, who appears to have originated in Foster, RI. George E. Brown married Aphema Seamans. They lived for a time in Eaton, Madison Co., NY, then in Richland, Oswego Co., NY, and then in Hebron, McHenry Co., IL. Some of their children moved on to central Nebraska. A small number of families, which I believe are most likely related by blood and/or by marriage, followed a similar path out of Rhode Island, and Eden Walling's family, with related Soules, appears to be among them.
Here are some details:
1. Ridlon, G.T. Sr., HISTORY, BIOGRAPHY AND GENEALOGY OF THE FAMILIES NAMED SOULE, SOWLE AND SOULIS, Vol. II, Journal Press, Maine, 1926, p. 859 of the online text at GenealogyLibrary: "Soules In Richland, New York. Caleb Soule (1), son of David (1) and Olive (WALLEN) Soule, was born somewhere in Rhode Island as early as 1785, and his mother found a home with him long after his father's death. She had only two children. She died in 1863. He (David) died in 1851. ... [Caleb Soule's] parents lived at Cicero Corners and afterwards went to Richland, N. Y., thence removed to Wisconsin."
2. Using the Ancestry.com census images, I found this list of neighbors, Eaton, Madison Co., NY, 1820 census, (Image 5): ...Oliver Westcott, Jr., Oliver Westcott, Elmore WALING, Parley Hopkins, Elisha Slater. (Westcotts, Hopkins, and Slaters had family ties to the Seamans.)
In Richland, NY, 1830 census (Image 19): ...Elisha Slater, Ruth Brown, Stephen Brown, Elisha Brown, Nancy Soul, Justin Wait, Eden WALING, Daniel Slater, Oliver Westcott
In Richland, NY, 1840 census (Image 3): ...[Charles] Westcott, Peter Jackson, Elisha Brown, Stephen Brown, Eden WALLIN
3. The online BLM Land Patents database indicates that Eden Walling bought land in McHenry Co., IL, in 1848.
4. Ancestry.com, 1850 census, Hebron, McHenry Co., IL, Roll M432_117, p. 464; Index says Image 294, but image screen says Image 8 of 17:
Dwelling 63, Household 63:
Eden WALLEN, age 47, Farmer, b. RI
Ruby Wallen, age 41, b. NY. (All the children, likewise, b. in NY.)
John B., age 18
E[m_ _] O., age 16 (male)
Harvey D., age 14
Joseph E., age 12
Hannah R., age 11
[Freelove], age 5
5. Obenchain, Elaine and McHenry Co. Illinois Genealogical Society, McHENRY COUNTY ILLINOIS CEMETERIES, Vol. I, Northwest Townships, publ. by the Society, 1990, p. 235. Burials in the Linn-Hebron Cemetery:
WALLING, Harvey D. Co. F 15 Ill. Inf. GAR
Walling, Eliza, w/o H.D., d. March 6, 1874, 38 yr.
Walling, Ruby, w/o Eden, d. Sept. 22, 1853, 43 yr.
I suspect that the ancestors of Eden Walling lived in the Scituate/Foster locality, Providence Co., RI.