|Posted By:||Shelly Carey|
|Subject:||Griffith / Griffeths - William Sr, William Jr, Jonathan|
|Post Date:||September 30, 2010 at 10:01:04|
|Forum:||Pittsylvania County, VA Genealogy Forum|
I am attempting to document my ancestry and have a few questions regarding some Griffith (Griffeth) ancestors from Pittsylvania County:
- Would anyone have access to a document that would relay the children of Jonathan Griffith and his wife? (possibly born around 1737)
- Would anyone have access to a document that would relay the children of William Griffith and Susannah Jones? They were married Aug 3, 1782 in Henry County, VA.
- Would anyone have access to a document that would relay the children of Joseph Griffith and Sally Prosize? They were married Sept 29, 1795 in Pittsylvania County, VA.
- Joseph Griffith was born Aug 18, 1775 in Danville, Pittsylvania Co, VA.
- I am also looking for the will of the same Joseph Griffith, most likely died in Pittsylvania County, VA before 1830. He lived on Cherrystone Creek, on the Griffith plantation.
The family lived in Pittsylvania County, VA, per tax records from 1782-1802.
I believe Joseph, who may also go by Jesse Griffith, is the son of William (Jr) Griffith or Jonathan Griffith. Iím not sure which of the two brothers (William Jr or Jonathan) through which my ancestry occurs. I found numerous land and tax records on the family, but donít know the names of their offspring, to validate. William Sr Griffeth (Griffith) made his will in Pittsylvania County, VA in 1780, naming wife Rachel, sons William (Jr), and Jonathan.
Here are some of the related facts I know:
William Griffeth (unsure of birth year) will dated 08/15/1780. He was dead before 1786. Given 400 acres in 1770. (He may have migrated from Pennsylvania to Virginia before 1770).
Married Rachel (unknown last name) unsure of birth date or date of death. It appears she died around 1793, as that is when the 100 acres mentioned in Williams will is given to Jonathan Griffeth. (In the will it is mentioned that 100 acres will go to Jonathan upon his motherís death.)
William Jr b. 1736 d. around 1788.
Jonathan b. 1737 d. around 1833. Granted 158 acres between 1782-1784.
Joseph (might possibly have been known as Jesse?) Griffith b. Aug 18, 1775 in Danville, Pittsylvania Co, VA. He is listed as Joseph on marriage license. Death before 1830? He isnít listed on 1830 census. Sally is listed as head of household. Joseph was probably at least 21 at the time he was mentioned in his grandfatherís will was written (William M. Griffith) in 1785.
Josephís marriage to Sally Prosize Sept 29, 1795 in Pittsylvania County, VA.
Isham G. Griffith born in 1841.
Isham B. Griffith and Isham G. Griffith moved to TN in 1845. I donít believe Joseph Griffith moved with them.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Shelly Griffith Carey