|Posted By:||Debbie Robison|
|Subject:||Re: Captain Thomas West Alexandria 1755-1804 or 6|
|Post Date:||December 28, 2011 at 20:43:06|
|Forum:||Fairfax County, VA Genealogy Forum|
Hypothesis: Captain Thomas West was the eldest son of John West, Jr.
1. The will of John West Jr., written in 1771 and proved in 1775, lists sons Thomas West (eldest), John West, and Hugh West. Also lists brothers George West and Rev. William West. (Fairfax Will Book D1(653)4). Thomas West inherited land from his father, including 627 acres where John West's mother was living at the time.
2. This land is mentioned in a 1786 description of a road order. The order describes a road from Alexandria to Holmes Run passing by Captain T. West's land. See page 251 of the Fairfax County Road Orders available online at http://www.virginiadot.org/vtrc/main/online_reports/pdf/03-r19.pdf. Other land mentioned, such as Bird and Hawkins, was located near the land that Thomas West inherited from his father. In fact, Thomas West sold part of his land to William Bird for a mill. (As noted in Fairfax Deed Book X1(24)41)
Hence, the above two facts highly suggest that the Thomas West (the Captain) was also the son of John West, Jr.
Hypothesis: Thomas West, son of John West, was married to Anna.
1. This is proved in a deed from Thomas West and Anna, his wife, to William Duvall on 2 Apr 1788. It was noted in the deed that the land sold was part of the land Thomas West was devised in his father's (John West's) will. Note: This was the last deed Anna West entered into during her lifetime in Fairfax County.
Hypothesis: Thomas West, son of John West, Jr., had a daughter named Catherine West.
1. This is proved in a deed of gift from Thomas West to his daughter, Catherine West. The deed notes that the land was part of the land devised unto Thomas West by his father John West, Jr. (Fairfax Deed Book B2(28)188 dated 22 Apr 1799)
Hypothesis: Thomas West, son of John West, Jr., had a daughter named Nancy who married Francis Martin. And Thomas West had remarried to a woman named Elizabeth.
1. This is proved in a deed of gift from Thomas West and Elizabeth, his wife, to Francis Martin, son-in-law of Thomas West, and daughter Nancy (wife of Francis). Land was adjacent to Catherine West's gift. (Fairfax Deed Book J2(36)165 dated 19 Aug 1801.)
Hypothesis: Thomas West had a daughter named Catherine Maria Turner who married William Turner.
1. This is proved in a deed from William Turner and Catherine Maria, his wife, to Anthony Charles Cazenove on 11 Apr 1805. The deed states that this was part of the land that was given and granted to Catherine Maria by her father Thomas West. Some of the metes and bounds are similar to those given in the deed of gift. (Fairfax Deed Book E2(31)488 dated 11 Apr 1805)
Hypothesis: Thomas West was married to Anna Payne.
1. It is possible that Anna's maiden name was Payne since William Payne lists Anna West as his daughter in his will. (Fairfax Will Book D1(653)441, written 27 May 1872, proven 20 Aug 1782)