|Posted By:||herb wiggins|
|Subject:||Wm. W. Lewis Family Grp.; NC> TN> GA> Hinds, MS> Milam, TX|
|Post Date:||September 23, 2010 at 10:39:19|
|Forum:||Milam County, TX Genealogy Forum|
Not directly related to this family, but if anyone has additions or knows of any living descendants of these earliest pioneers in Mexican Tejas & the Texas Rep., please write. Thanks.
William W(Wesley?) Lewis, b. ca. 1783-4 in NC (1850 Census, Tx, Milam),d. 16 Oct. 1853, Milam, bu. unk.
Ma. 1st ca. 1805, TN? to Susanna? ---
Ma. 2nd ca. 1814, place? to Nancy ---, MS? born 1790's d. after 1840?, MS (Hinds/Carroll Co.)
There is a Nancy Thompson ma. to a Wm. Lewis ca. 1829, MS, but unable to prove this was the Nancy in the 1840 census, or what happened to her.
1. James LEWIS b. & d. unk.
2. Joseph Duff LEWIS b: 23 JUN 1805 in TN, d. 25 SEP 1888, bu. Babyhead Cem., Llano Co., TX. ma. 1st Jane --- (b. ca. 1805) in MS?, d. ca. 1850; 2nd 21 Sep. 1854, Robertson Co., TX to Malinda Williams.
3. Rebecca, b. ca. 1808, TN, d. after 1860, Milam, TX. Ma. 1st to John Wesley House, ca. 1830, he b. ca. 1780, d. 1835-40, Robertson, TX. Bu. Unk. 4 children.
Ma. 2nd to Elisha Mcdonald, b. ca. 1814, TN, d. ? No children known. See House forum on John Wesley House.
Some state, without evidence, she was a "niece" of Wm. W. Lewis. but do NOT state her parents. She was likely living in Hinds Co., MS in 1830, same page as Lee Smith and his father, Daniel. Later to Milam, TX, listed in 1850 census there with Elisha McDonald, & Wm. W. Lewis listed WITH her, tho no relationship listed. She was likely a daughter, naming her first child after Nancy Lewis, poss. her stepmother, tho is consistent with naming patterns within families.
4. Penelope L. "Nellie" LEWIS b: ABT. 1815, d. after 1860 Milam, TX , ma. 26 Aug. 1826, Claiborne Co., MS, to Lee Clayton Smith, b. 10 Jan. 1802, TN, d. before 1860?, Tx or MS?
5. William Jefferson LEWIS b: ABT. 1810, died ca. 10 Mar. 1866, Brazos, TX.. Ma. Martha --- before 1838;
Daus. Nancy Ann and Martha Jane, MS.:
1860 Tx, Brazos, wi. Jon. Semans, aged 49, b. TN
with Eliz. 61, TN, recently married 1856 to Mrs. Eliz. Harris, b. ca. 1798, TN.
Poss. former wife. of John Harris 49, Ky, Eliz. 52, NC, Wmson./Milam 1850 census.
1850 Rankin, MS, Jeff. Lewis, 40, Martha 40, both, TN, Martha 11 TX, and Nancy 6, Mary, 2, Gabriella 3/12(12 oct.), and Jas. B. Smith 24, AL. Jas. 1, with T. Prewitt 40 on same page. Again consistent with a Smith/Lewis tie.
6. Zascassenah (Misprint?) Poss. Cassandra (F), b: ABT. 1818, fate Unk.
7. Andrew Jackson LEWIS b: ABT. 1818 in MS/GA, d. 21 Nov. 1888, Wilson Co., TX; bu. Cameron, Milam, TX, ma. ca. 1835 (TX or MS) to Arcena -----, b. ca. 1818, d. after 1900, Austin, TX, 10 children known, see group & query this forum on Arcena & Adnrew Jackson lewis.