|Posted By:||Gene Rogers|
|Subject:||WILLIAM ROGERS of Texas (Lampasas Springs area0|
|Post Date:||October 02, 2001 at 11:27:23|
|Forum:||Lampasas County, TX Genealogy Forum|
I have run into a brick wall trying to identify my great grandfather WILLIAM "BILL" ROGERS. We have a few facts and a whole lot of rummors. Listed below is known facts and rumors:
1. On 29 August 1884 WILLIAM ROGERS married M.L. GRIFFIN (Mary Lucinda "Mollie" Roark Griffin)in Tyler, Smith County, Texas (have copy of marriage license).
2. On 9 June 1885 in Jacksonville, Cherokee County, Texas WILLIAM & MOLLIE had a son, MANCE MAIN ROGERS (information from MANCE MAIN ROGERS Application for Social Security nember).
3. In August 1885 WILLIAM, MOLLIE & MANCE were living in Lampasas Springs, Texas (Lampasas Springs is now Lampasas). Shortly after that MOLLIE took MANCE and left WILLIAM and returned to live with her mother (Martha Jane "Mattie" Mitchell Roark Boyce) in Jacksonville, Texas.
4. MOLLIE considered her first two marriages (GRIFFIN & ROGERS)to be failures and did not keep any information pertaining to the marriages. She also refused to speak of either man to her children.
5. On MANCE MAIN ROGERS' Application for Social Security Number he listed his father's name as JOHN. It is possible that WILLIAM ROGERS full name could be JOHN WILLIAM ROGERS or WILLIAM JOHN ROGERS.
6. MOLLIE listed herself as a widow when she married Isaac Hayes Thompson in 1894.
7. Between 1910 and 1930 MOLLIE (listed as a widow for the third time) visited her son MANCE MAIN ROGERS and his family in Conroe, Texas several times. Several of her grandchildren clearly remember asking MOLLIE where grandpa Rogers was and she always joking replied, "The last time I saw him, he was being chased by a posse."
RUMORS & STORIES:
1. That WILLIAM had a sister named SARAH that married a Kuykendall and lived in a stone house in San Saba, Texas.
2. That WILLIAM had another sister named ELLA, who owned or ran a clothing store in Lmapasas Springs, Texas.
3. One story has WILLIAM being killed by lightening in Lampasas Springs, Texas when his son was about a year old (1886).
4. One story has WILLIAM being shot and killed on a neighbors porch (reason unknown).
Anyone having any information or leads, PLEASE contact me.