|Posted By:||Shirley Grammer|
|Subject:||La Vernia, Texas, Wilson County, (Cemetery Dedication)|
|Post Date:||October 14, 2002 at 15:10:30|
|Forum:||Guadalupe County, TX Genealogy Forum|
The Rector Chapel Presbyterian Cemetery (also known as the Wiseman Cemetery) La Vernia, Texas, Wilson County, has been designated as a Texas State Historic Cemetery. The historical marker and medallion will be dedicated on Saturday, November 2, 10:00 A.M. at the cemetery located on FM 2772. Directions: From downtown La Vernia, take FM 775 North, go one mile, take FM 2772 East, go one-half mile. The cemetery is located on the right hand side of the road.
The cemetery was established in 1877 on the William Robert Wiseman Farm. The following families are interred here: Allen, Bowden, Crews,Cromer, Duncan, Miller, Murray, Sharples, Yantis and Wiseman.
A church was erected at this site in 1876 but moved to downtown La Vernia on Chihuahua Street South in 1891. The church is now the Primitive Baptist Church.