|Posted By:||Grady Greene|
|Subject:||Re: Asa WRIGHT m. Nancy [Clower] MYERS (Miers) in 1867|
|Post Date:||January 02, 2007 at 22:42:50|
|Forum:||Caldwell County, TX Genealogy Forum|
Revis, Thanks for your reply to my query on Nancy Wright.
I received the following information from a volunteer researcher at the Caldwell County Genealogical and Historical Society. I quote:
In checking our Caldwell County Cemetery Book, I found no listing for Nancy Clower Myers/Miers Wright in Prairie Lea or any other recorded cemetery. I checked several other sources but found nothing. Am I correct that you assume Asa Wright to be Nancy's husband?[Yes, you are correct. Asa and Nancy were married in Guadalupe Co., Sept. 22, 1867. Marriage performed by W.B. Sherrill, J.P.]
In our ancestor charts I found an Asa Wright, born 28 Nov. 1795 in GA, died 03 March 1873 in Guadalupe County, TX who was married to Elizabeth Taylor (?) who was born ca 1802 in GA and died by 1867 in Guadalupe County ( It might be that this record confuses her death date with that of her marriage). Perhaps Elizabeth was another name for Nancy.
A second ancestor chart traces Mary Carie Wright, born 22 July 1873 in San Marcos to James F. Wright who married Matilda A. Miears. James was the son of Asa Wright and Elizaeth Taylor; Matilda was the daughter of Jarred Miears who was born 25 Jun3 1802 in GA and died 1855. Jarred was married 18 December 1820 to Nancy Clowers who was born 07 March 1803 in GA and died 1870 in Guadalupe Co. She was buried in Brushy Cemetery. I feel this certainly must be the person for whom you are searching.
In checking the Brushy Creek Cemetery inventory, I did not find Nancy listed; however, several Wrights are buried there and there are also several unmarked graves, one of which might possibly be that of Nancy, but that is just supposition.
FYI: Brushy Creek Cemetery may be reached by traveling about 1 mile north of Kingsbury (located on US Hwy 90 between Luling and Seguin), turn left on Gander Slough Road, and cross the railroad tracks. Follow Gander Slough Road for approximately 2 miles. The cemetery is located onthe property of Tucker Hollomon who resides in Seguin. His phonenumber is 830/379-4263. This survey was conducted March 20,1993 by Sandy and Eric Haugen, Joshua Rawlinson, Steve and Evan Herbold.
I hope this information will provide you some leads."
After receiving this information, I wrote an inquiry to the Guadalupe Genealogical Society. I will quote that message here:
My inquiry to you concerns where I might locate historical Guadalupe County newspapers - those that were being published around a particular date. The purpose of this is to obtain definitive data on the demise of Nancy (CLOWER>MYERS/MIERS) WRIGHT, the wife of Asa WRIGHT.
1. Nancy CLOWER was my Great Great Grand Aunt. Researchers from my Clower side state that Nancy died in Prairie Lea [Caldwell County] - or in the vicinity.
2. The 1860 Guadalupe Co. Census, taken on August 14, enumerates her as a widow, age 57 and a son, Thomas L., age 18, living with her. The Enumeration district was P.O. Barrowdale.
3. Nancy and Asa were married in Guadalupe County, Sept. 22, 1867 - both being apparently widowed, knowing each other, and living within a few dwellings of each other.
4. The 1870 Census lists Asa Wright, Age 74 with Nancy, Age 67. The community was P.O. Seguin, Precinct 4 - Date of Enumeration was July, 1879 [no day listed].
5. Asa Wright's probate filed: "Asa Wright, Desc. Mar 20 1873. Case #631." [Guadalupe County Probate files]
All of this leads me to believe that in Guadalupe County may lie the answer to my original inquiry:
1. What were the newspapers being published in Guadalupe County in 1870, or thereabouts?
2. Would they normally contain death notices or obituaries?
3. Have they been microfilmed and where might I obtain a copy of the microfilm to search for this information?
Thanks very much for your assistance,
So Revis, that is what I have to date. It is very interesting that you are a descendant of Asa Wright and Elizabeth (Betsy) Taylor. I don't have the data at hand, but I a couple of the daughters of Jarrett and Nancy Myers' married a couple of Asa's sons. Sophenia(?) married George Wright Dec. 9, 1852 in Caldwell Co., and Matilda married James L. Wright [I don't have a date].
Absorb all of this, and if my data matches what you have, we are "in the same ballpark," or family I should have said.