|Posted By:||Lorraine, Allrelated|
|Post Date:||August 03, 2010 at 11:52:13|
|Forum:||Bedford County, TN Genealogy Forum|
Carol Vass has gotten me interested in renewing the search for parentage of my James GAMMILL, b. 30 Sep 1797(calc) , TN, d. 22 Apr 1874 (76y,6m, 22d), Buck Prairie Twp, Lawrence Co., MO, m. to Sarah Unk. (possibly Sally WHITES), b. 27 Nov 1799 (calc), NC, d. 1 Aug 1885 (85y, 8m, 5d).
In reviewing my notes, trees, sources, and looking at the information Carol so kindly provided, it seems likely that my 4xggfather James Gammill is the James GAMMILL, son of William GAMMILL and Ann McGAUGHEY, b. abt. 1808, if the date could be pushed back to cir 1797, which is only calculated from the gravestone information.
The other possibility is the James H. GAMBILL, son of Thomas Bradley GAMBILL and Susanna Fisher NASH, b. 1794, TN.
Both of these GAMMILL/GAMBILL/GAMEL lines were in the Bedford Co. area, and I discovered yesterday that Aaron GAMBILL (GAMBLE) married Elizabeth Kennedy on 27 Nov 1801 in Davidson Co., TN (Marriages of Davidson County, Tennessee, 1789-1847, Edyth Rucker Whitley, comp., (1981), p. 9), as did a James GAMMILL marry a Sally WHITES on 22 Oct 1818, ibid., p. 50. William GAMMILL's son Andrew married a Jane WHITIS that might have been related to Sally WHITES.
Children's names used by my James and Sarah GAMMILL seem to be similar to William GAMMILL/Ann McGAUGHEY, but maybe they were just popular at the time:
Elizabeth A., Charles Newton, Nancy Caroline, Lucinda J., Sarah Evaline, Talitha A., Harriet Meddline, Samuel Harrison, Joseph J.
The GAMBILLs also married into my Bedford Co., TN Hix lines.
Can any of you GAMMILLs or GAMBILLS out there account for what happened to each of my possible James GAMMILL/GAMBILLs? Who they married, if not Sally WHITES? Or if Sally WHITES, what happened to them? I can discount them, if anyone can show what happened to my possibles. I know from Carol Vass that William GAMMILL left his son James a dollar in his will, and that son James GAMMILL did not move to Cole Co., IL, as many of William's children did. The others stayed in Bedford Co., TN, which is also where my 3xggfather, Charles Newton *Nute* GAMMILL, was born.
I have come to the conclusion that the only way we are really going to know which line we belong to is through Y-DNA testing. I have no male Gammills to call on, but I did put our James GAMMILL's information on the pedigree forum for the Gambling Family Tree (http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/gambling/pats) for the Gambling Surname Project at FamilyTreeDNA:
This group seemed to offer the broadest name variables, including Gambill, Gambrill, Gamewell, Gamel, Gammill. Unfortunately, there are only three members! I don't know if Ancestry has a group going, since I currently don't have a membership. Ysearch has some German ancestry Gamels and English Gammills. Are there Scottish and Scotch-Irish Gammills out there testing?
Has anyone compared the Thomas Bradley GAMBILL Y-DNA with the James GAMMILL/Margaret MILLER Y-DNA? Is it possible that both families are related?
Finally, I'm listing the last known males from my Gammill family, in the hopes that one of *their* male descendants or relatives reading this might be motivated to get tested and share results.
Last known (to me, from my research) males with direct paternal line from my 4xggfather James GAMMILL:
1. William GAMMILL, b. 1856, MO., lived in Lawrence Co., Buck Prairie Twp., Marionville. (Charles Newton, James)
2. Everett E. GAMMILL d. 1973, Hughes Co., OK (Samuel Jackson, Charles Newton, James)
3. Gerald R. GAMMILL, d. 1990, Christian Co., MO (Samuel Jackson, Charles Newton, James)
4. Chester GAMMILL, d. 1977, Cherokee Co., OK (Samuel Jackson, Charles Newton, James)
5. Wilford B. GAMMILL, d. 1968, bur. Lawrence Co., MO (Samuel Jackson, Charles Newton, James)
6. George W. GAMMILL, d. cir 1999, Madison Co., IL (Samuel Jackson, Charles Newton, James)
7. Samuel Max GAMMILL, 2008, Greene Co., MO (Samuel Howard, Samuel Jackson, Charles Newton, James)
8. Ron GAMMILL, 2008, Mountain Home, OK (Samuel Howard, Samuel Jackson, Charles Newton, James)
9. Jesse J. GAMMILL, d. 1902, Lawrence Co., MO (Samuel Harrison, James)
10. Vinnie E. or G. GAMMILL, d. 1949, Tarrant Co, TX (Samuel Harrison, James)
11. Vernon B. GAMMILL, b. 1882, MO (Samuel Harrison, James)
12. Joseph J. GAMMILL, d. 1862, Lawrence Co., MO (James)
Thanks, all, for your thoughts on this.
x-posted to GAMBILL, GAMMILL, GAMEL, and Davidson Co. forums