|Subject:||Re: James Tierney/Eva Patterson NewRochelle|
|Post Date:||January 27, 2004 at 06:17:29|
|Forum:||Tierney Family Genealogy Forum|
There was a P.J.Tierney and Sons, Incorporated company in New Rochelle in the 1920's. They had the largest Dining Car factory in the world. E.T.Tierney was President of the company and E.J.Tierney was Vice President. P.J.Tierney, himself, operated an "owl" car back in the eighties and nineties, and made a living at it. He expanded ---bought up old trolley cars, converted them into lunch wagons and hired men to operate them. By 1895 he had a chain of 38, all doing business and bringing him loyalties. Then he started building them for other men to buy and operate. "In those days they sold for $1,000 each, and they were worth it." (Quoted from an article in "American Industries", January, 1925, Vol. XXV No.6 Publ. by The National Manufactures Co, 50 Church St., NYC
There were 16 lunch cars in the town of White Plains, NY.