|Posted By:||Billie Padilla|
|Subject:||Re: Bio: OSCAR LESEURE, History of Detroit, a Chronicle of Its Progress...|
|Post Date:||February 22, 2008 at 11:40:23|
|Forum:||Spanish-American War Forum|
History of Detroit, a Chronicle of Its Progress, Its Institutions, and the People of the Fair City of the Straits
THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY
CHICAGO AND NEW YORK
Section 30 Pages 1145-1146
OSCAR LESEURE, M. D. Among Detroit's leading surgeons and gynecologists should be mentioned Oscar LeSeure, M. D., senior surgeon and president of the medical board of Grace Hospital.
Dr. LeSeure was born at Danville, Illinois, January 27, 1851, and is the son of Prosper and Elizabeth (Wilhoit) LeSeure. The father, a native of Nancy, Meurthe et Moselle, France, was born in 1820, and came to the United States at the age of eleven, his parents locating at Covington, Kentucky, across the Ohio river from Cincinnati. In 1842 he removed to Illinois and three years later located at Danville, where he became a prosperous merchant and for many years was engaged in
business there. His death occurred in Danville in 1897, although for the last few years of his life he had spent the greater part of his time in California. His wife, a native of Virginia and a member of one of the honored families of the Old Dominion, died in 1858.
Oscar LeSeure attended the public schools of Danville, after leaving- which he entered the University of Michigan and was graduated from the medical department in 1873. For the six months following, he served as house physician in the United States Marine Hospital at Detroit, and in March, 1874, he took a degree at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City. Returning in that year to Danville, he entered the practice of his profession in that city. In 1886 he went abroad and spent a year in the study of surgery, and for six months of that time was on the staff of the eminent Paul Reclus, in the Hotel Dieu, Paris, France. On his return to the United States, in 1887, he located in Detroit and entered practice, giving special attention to surgery and gynecology, and when Grace Hospital opened was appointed surgeon and gynecologist of that institution, with which he has been connected ever since. In 1892 Dr. LeSeure again went abroad, attending hospitals in Edinburg and London, and when he had returned to this country, Governor Rich (in 1895) appointed him a member of the Detroit Board of Health. During June of the same year he was appointed professor of surgery in the homeopathic department of the University of Michigan, and he held this until 1900 when he resigned. In 1894 he was elected president of the Homeopathic Society of Michigan and was chosen a member of the Prismatic Cult of Detroit the same year. In 1897 he was elected president of the Detroit Board of Health and when the Spanish-American war broke out President McKinley appointed him major and brigade-surgeon of United States Volunteers and assigned him to duty at Sternburg Field Hospital, afterwards Sternburg General Hospital, at Chickamauga Park, where he became executive officer of the hospital and so remained until it was closed in November, 1898. He received his honorable discharge the following month. Dr. LeSeure was next appointed by Governor Bliss, a member of the State Board of Registration in Medicine of Michigan, on which he served for four years, and in 1906 was its president. In 1905 he took another trip abroad, spending seven months in the hospitals of London, Berlin and Vienna, and again returned to Detroit, where in March, 1907, he was appointed surgeon-in-chief to the Michigan Central Railroad. Since 1904 he has been president of the Medical Board of Grace Hospital, where he is senior surgeon. He is a member of the Practitioners Society of Detroit, and is also connected with the Michigan State Homeopathic Medical Society, the American Institute of Homeopathy, the American Association of Military Surgeons, the American Association of Railway Surgeons, and the Wayne County Medical and State Medical Societies. On December 24, 1874, Dr. LeSeure was married to Miss Caroline Stransbury of Danville, a native of Pinckney, Michigan.