|Posted By:||Paul Hamel|
|Subject:||Re: can't open .paf files with PAF|
|Post Date:||December 05, 2010 at 09:14:13|
|Forum:||Personal Ancestral File Forum|
Thanks Bill. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the PAF5 and companion several times, including removal of respective folders where it installed. Still wouldn't work. However, after loading companion 55b (noted in your post), and then applying a manual update to the Progeny PDF printer that I found in the Amyuni forum (see below), I was able to get it to work. (The Amyuni forum didn't mention the 55b version that you did. Their instructions included altering the Progeny PDF printer, which wasn't visible to me with the published Companion 5.4 version. After loading the 55b version from your link, then applying the Alumni update [below] and restarting PC, all functionality is now working). For sake of others that may be having this problem:
- I loaded PAF Companion 55b per your post, and activated it with my paid unlock certificate for ver 184.108.40.206. At this point, both the 'Publish' and 'Preview' options failed, bring up an error, even with the Progeny PDF Printer.
- Then I applied the Progeny PDF Printer update noted by 'Loretta' with Alumni forum, which was this:
- Click on Start (bottom left of screen)
- Select Printers & Faxes (or Devices and Printers in Win7 Pro)
- Right-click 'Progeny PDF Printer'
- Select 'Printer properties' (NOT 'Properties')
- Select the Ports tab
- Select Add Port... button
- In Printer Ports dialog, select Local Port
- Click 'New Port...' (NOT 'New Port Type...'
- On Port Name dialog, enter: PCOMPport
- Click OK
- On the Printer Ports dialog, click cancel
- On the Progeny PDF Printer Properties dialog, make sure that the 'PCOMPport' port is checked
- Click Apply, then OK/close.
- Restart PC. The Progeny printer worked on restart.
I'm very surprised that the Companion 55b version isn't available (or publicised) on the PAF site. In my looking for a resolution to my issue, there appears to be quite a few people that can't get PAF Companion working with Win7 64-bit. Also not quite sure why some people (such as your 5 systems noted yesterday) all work fine, while others like myself, it fails. Regardless, I'm very glad you had it in your post Bill. You got me up and running again! Thank you very much!!