|Posted By:||Bruce Myers|
|Subject:||Re: Osman / Osmun of Northampton / Lehigh County, PA|
|Post Date:||May 20, 2012 at 13:18:39|
|Forum:||Lehigh County, PA Genealogy Forum|
Thanks Bill for your reply and the new information regarding Elizabeth Osman's precise birthdate which has so far eluded me. I too recently discovered that Allen County, IN website and Elizabeth's obituary abstract. Have you checked familysearch.org "Illinois Deaths and Stillbirths..." for additional information on Margaret Osman? It appears she was the "Mrs. Rev. Deemer (Deamer) of Chicago, IL" you referred to in your 2006 post and the last surviving daughter of John and Rebecca (Bellis) Osman. She was buried in Defiance, OH along with a daughter, I think. Your 2006 posting prompted a renewed search and updated group sheet for Joseph and Elizabeth Rhodes with a lot of Allentown, PA area connections:
JOSEPH RHODES: b. 6 Jun 1806, PA; d. 22 Aug 1851, Naperville, IL; bur. 24 Aug 1851, Naperville Cemetery, DuPage Co., IL; marriage, 10 Aug 1827, Lehigh Co., PA to ELIZABETH OSMAN, b. 10 Mar 1806, Mansfield, NJ, d. 15 Feb 1890, Elwood, Jackson Twp., Will Co., IL, bur.(?) Naperville Cemetery, DuPage Co., IL [*note: I find her listed as "Scheduled 1890" in the Cemetery Records, but I have been there and there is no stone for her. Maybe she is buried with second husband, Frederick Nehs, but I haven't found his gravesite yet]. Marr. (2) FREDERICK NEHS after 1851. Five children were born of this (1) union.
1. REBECCA RHODES, b. 27 Feb 1829, Allentown, PA; d. 27 Nov 1921; bur. Naperville Cemetery, DuPage Co., IL. Married BENJAMIN C. (Rev.) WAGNER 23 Feb 1849, DuPage Co., IL.
2. ELI RHODES, b. 23 Dec 1830, Allentown, PA; d. 29 Aug 1917 Plainfield, Will Co., IL; bur. 31 Aug 1917, Plainfield Cemetery, Plainfield, IL. Marr. REBECCA H. (?).
3. ELOVINA RHODES, b. 1 Sep 1833, South Whitehall Twp., Lehigh Co., PA; d. 15 May 1913, Joliet, Will Co., IL, bur. at Naperville Cemetery, DuPage Co., IL 18 May 1913. Marr. JACOB A. MYERS 19 Sep 1851 in Naperville, DuPage Co., IL.
4. SARAH ANN RHODES, b. abt 1842, PA; marr. ADAM W. SNYDER 16 Feb 1860, DuPage Co., IL.
5. SOPHIA RHODES, b. 20 Dec 1846, Delaware, OH; d. 5 Nov 1920, Dunkerton, IA; marr. HENRY X. MYERS (Jacob A. Myers' younger brother) 30 Nov 1865 probably also in DuPage Co., IL but not confirmed yet.
Bill, have you seen any hard evidence yet linking John Osman, Sr. and Rebecca Bellis? Although your research builds a very good circumstantial case and appears iron-clad I've apparently missed a few years of your search. Thanks so much for writing!