Posted By:Michael DeLorenzo
Email:
Subject:Jacob & William W sons of Jacob & Maria M (Ostrander) Raub
Post Date:June 12, 2004 at 04:28:50
Message URL:http://genforum.genealogy.com/oh/pickaway/messages/563.html
Forum:Pickaway County, OH Genealogy Forum
Forum URL:http://genforum.genealogy.com/oh/pickaway/

Not my family line, just sharing.

From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883."
page 387, Big Creek Township, White County, Indiana

"JACOB and WILLIAM W. RAUB, at Chalmers, are doing an extensive business, and handle all kinds of grain, live stock and coal. Their annual average shipments of grain reach 150,000 bushels, and their shipments of live stock are in proportion. They commenced business at Chalmers under the present firm name in November, 1872, when they erected extensive cribs and grain warehouses, which they provided with a large corn-sheller, and then put in a steam engine. In 1879, they put up their steam elevator. JACOB RAUB, the senior member, is the eighth child, and WILLIAM W. RAUB, the junior member, is the youngest of thirteen children born to JACOB and MARIA M. (OSTRANDER) RAUB, the former a native of Sussex County, New Jersey, and the latter of Troy, New York. MRS. RAUB was the daughter of DR. EDWARD OSTRANDER, the well known mathematician of New York, and author of "OSTRANDER'S ARITHMETIC". In 1815, JACOB RAUB, Sr., removed with his parents to Pickaway County, Ohio. He was married in Ross County, Ohio, in 1822. In November, 1836, he moved to Tippecanoe County, Indiana where he bought 280 acres of land, which he improved and resided upon until his death, in November, 1849. He was a public-spirited man, and took an active part in securing the right of way for the Crawfordsville & LaFayette Railroad, which is now part of the L., N. A. & C. R. R. MRS. MARIA M. RAUB died April 26, 1875. JACOB RAUB, senior partner in the firm of J. & W. W. RAUB, was born in Ross County, Ohio, October 3, 1835, and received a very good common school and academical education. As early as 1851, he began the grain business at South Raub, Tippecanoe County, as the junior member of the firm of A. & E. RAUB & BROS. This firm shipped the first car-load of grain ever sent over the N. A. R. R. between Crawfordsville and LaFayette. The firm, in connection with their business, were also extensively engaged in farming. In December, 1864, the firm was dissolved and the lands divided. JACOB RAUB, having received his share in lands situated in this township, moved upon the same in 1866, and engaged in farming and stock dealing. In 1867, he commenced handling grain at Chalmers, in connection with his farming. In 1872, he purchased a part of the ROSS farm, on which he laid out the present village of Chalmers. He has been in the grain business for the past twenty-nine years, longer, probably, than any other man in the county. He was Vice President of the White County Agricultural Society in 1869, and President thereof in 1870. In 1868, he was nominated by the Democrats for Reprentative in the State Legislature from White and Benton Counties, and, although the district was Republican by 120 majority, he was defeated by only 83 votes. In company with his brother and others, he was largely influential in securing the first gravel road ever located in White County, and which is now being built through Chalmers. MR. RAUB was married, March 28, 1871, to MISS SALLIE C. REYNOLDS, a native of this county, and daughter of BENJAMIN REYNOLDS, one of the county pioneers. To this union have been born four sons, all still living. WILLIAM W. RAUB was born in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, December 26, 1845, and at the age of sixteen commenced business on his own account as a farmer and stock dealer. For several years he bought stock for packing houses at LaFayette, and also shipped to Chicago. In 1865, he moved to Danville, Illinois, and became interested in two coal mines, as a member of the firm WEBSTER, STUFFLEBEAM & CO., who represented a capital of at least $25,000. Two years later, he sold his interest at a hansome profit, and returned to Tippecanoe, where he engaged extensively in stock-rearing, and also engaged in shipping stock and grain. In 1872, he bought a farm of 280 acres near Chalmers, where he has ever since resided. MR. RAUB was married, December 18, 1877, to MARY ALLEN, a native of Wisconsin, and daughter of C. G. ALLEN, a commission merchant at the Union Stock Yards, Chicago. Two children have been born to this union, one now deceased. In politics, MR. RAUB is a Democrat."