Posted By:Michael DeLorenzo
Email:
Subject:J. P. Wood b.1833 son of Jacob & Nancy (Bartmess) Wood
Post Date:May 29, 2005 at 16:13:28
Message URL:http://genforum.genealogy.com/oh/darke/messages/514.html
Forum:Darke County, OH Genealogy Forum
Forum URL:http://genforum.genealogy.com/oh/darke/

Not my family line, just sharing.

The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883.
page 724, Indian Creek Township, Pulaski County, Indiana.

"J. P. WOOD was born in Covington, Ohio, June 6, 1833, and is the eldest of the nine children of JACOB and NANCY (BARTMESS) WOOD, natives of Virginia and Maryland, and of French and Holland descent. JACOB WOOD was a harness-maker, and in 1828 settled in Montgomery County, Ohio, where he was married. He next moved to Covington, carried on his trade, and about 1840 moved to New Harrison, Ohio, where he engaged in general mercantile trade, in connection with harness-making. From 1847 to 1856, he bought farms in Darke County, aggregating 700 acres, and added farming to his other business, and also engaged in real estate transactions, purchasing large tracts of tax lands. In 1856, he soldout his business in New Harrison, and removed to Hill Grove, where he conducted the same line of business until 1860, when he again sold out, and also disposed of a part of his Ohio land; and came to Jasper County, Indiana; bought 320 acres of land, and added thereto until he was owner of over 700 acres, and he he devoted his entire attention to farming and stock-rearing. In 1868, he traded a part of his Jasper County property for the flouring-mill at Pulaski, this township. He moved here in 1869, and in 1870 erected a store building, and engaged in general merchandising, in connection with milling, which he continued until his death, October 6, 1876. About the time of his marrige he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which for many years he was a local preacher; for several years also he was Postmaster, both in Ohio and Indiana. J. P. WOOD learned harness-making of his father, and followed the trade for a number of years. In 1855, he went to Butler County, Iowa, bought 400 acres, erected a board shanty, and improved the farm until the fall of 1869, when he came to Pulaski, this township, and opened a harness-shop. In 1870, he and his brother DAVID purchased the stock in their father's grist mill, and operated the mill, under rent, until 1875, when they bought the building and eighteen acres of land adjoining. In 1877, J. P. bought his brother's interest, and now operates the mill on his own account. June 25, 1856, MR. WOOD married MISS MARTHA J. EPPERSON, of Crawford County, Indiana, who has borne him eight children, seven yet living."