|Posted By:||Gary Welch|
|Subject:||Re: A reference to the "Locks" in 1844|
|Post Date:||October 13, 2000 at 15:27:25|
|Forum:||Wayne County, NY Genealogy Forum|
It almost certainly refers to the Erie Canal, which was completed in 1825 and connects Lake Erie at Buffalo to the Hudson River at Albany (about 360 miles in all). It passes through Wayne Co. from west to east and is only a couple of miles north of Farmington. There is currently a lock in Macedon directly north of Farmington but the canal has been rebuilt a couple of times and locks have been moved and/or eliminated since the original canal.