|Posted By:||Linda Benson Cox|
|Subject:||Griswold, Jabez & Mary "Polly" Pruitt, Schuyler County, New York|
|Post Date:||October 15, 2006 at 11:52:34|
|Forum:||Schuyler County, NY Genealogy Forum|
Looking for clarification on the Griswold family. What I have is:
Jabez Griswold was born June 08, 1757 and died November 25, 1839 in Watkins, Schuyler County, New York; he married Mary 'Polly' Pruitt who was born January 19, 1765 and died February 08, 1843 in Watkins, Schuyler County, New York – married October 20, 1784; both are buried in the Watkins Glen Cemetery, Watkins, Schuyler County, New York. They had three children:
i.John Griswold born August 27, 1787 in Dover, Dutchess County, New York and died April 17, 1874 in Hudson, Lenawee County, MI; he married Sabra Bennett born March 19, 1793 in Fort Edward, Washington County, New York – married January 01, 1812 in Fort Edward, Washington County, New York. He lived in Dutchess, Saratoga, Washington, Steuben, and Ontario counties, in New York State, and in 1834/5 immigrated to Michigan, arriving at Hudson, Lenawee Co., January 2, 1835. He built a log house, on a farm near Hudson, where he lived until 1870, when he moved into Hudson. Upon the death of his wife, he rented their town house and lived with his daughter, Sabra Ann (Griswold) Cady of Hudson. They had 7 children.
ii.Clarry Griswold was born August 30, 1794 Saratoga County, New York and died November 05, 1860 in St. Genevieve, MO; she married Henry Havens who was born October 30, 1789 in Arglyle, Washington County, New York and died September 24, 1880 in Hamilton, Heath Twp., Allegany County, MI. Henry was son of Joseph Havens and Martha Bennett. Clarry and Henry had 12 children.
iii.Squire Griswold born August 17, 1798 in Fort Ann, Washington County, New York and died February 24, 1880 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York; he married first Temperance McDowell who was born May 13, 1804 and died September 11, 1841 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York. She was the mother of Sarah Ann Griswold Bunn. His second wife Frances ‘Fanny’ M. was born November 23, 1816 was born in Schuyler County, New York and died April 22, 1882 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York – all three were buried in the County Line Cemetery, Schuyler County, New York. The 1835 Catlin (Dix) Town Tax Roll states that Squire had 67 acres of land. Squire Griswold had 12 children.
The children of Squire Griswold and Temperance McDowell were:
1) Eliza Griswold was born about 1822 in New York.
2) Emily Cook Griswold was born October 25, 1823 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York; she married Nathaniel Milliman Wheeler in 1841.
3) Sarah ‘Sally’ Ann Griswold was born January 02, 1825 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York; she married Samuel Dennis Bunn (see above).
4) Robert Griswold was born about 1829 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York and died after 1850.
5) Harriet Griswold was born October 03, 1831 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York and died April 02, 1896; she married James Beahan who was born December 08, 1826 on the farm, Schuyler County, New York and died March 09, 1906 – married December 25, 1852; both are buried Glenwood Cemetery, Watkins Glen, New York. He was a farmer. They had 5 children.
6) Albert Griswold was born in 1833 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York.
7) Lucinda Griswold was born about 1835 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York.
8) Ruth A. Griswold was born about 1839 in Dix, Schuyler County, New York.
The children of Squire Griswold and Frances ‘Fanny’ M. were:
9) Freelove Griswold was born about 1844.
10) Ortunsy Griswold was born about 1846.
11) Frances Griswold was born about 1849.
12) Harvey Griswold was born about 1854.
Any further informatin on this family would be greatly appreciated.