|Posted By:||Albert Vidaurre|
|Subject:||Re: Carrizozo, New Mexico|
|Post Date:||November 11, 2000 at 12:44:29|
|Forum:||Santa Fe County, NM Genealogy Forum|
From the book "New Mexico Place names-A Geographical Dictionary."Edited By T.M.Pearce.
CARRIZOZO-(Lincoln).In SW Lincoln County,at junction of US 54 and 380.Named for Carrizo Springs.In 1899,the EP&NE RR built their line to this point and a town was started,but is was not platted until 1907.James Allcook,foreman for a cattle ranch,then added a second ZO to Carrizo,making the name Carrizozo,the extra syllable indicating "Abundance."A.H.Harvey was the first Postmaster,as well as first depot agent.Post Office,1902-.