|Posted By:||James Scamman|
|Subject:||Re: Rocky Point location in Exeter, NH 1670's|
|Post Date:||December 23, 2012 at 09:54:51|
|Forum:||New Hampshire Genealogy Forum|
Stratham was settled in 1631 and incorporated in 1716. The area, called Winnicutt by the Pennacook Indians, was known as Squamscott Patent or Point of Rocks because of its location between Great Bay and the Squamscott River. The sixth town in the colony to be incorporated, the town was named for Wriothesley Russell, Baron Howland of Streatham, a friend of Massachusetts Royal Governor Samuel Shute, when New Hampshire was still a part of that colony.