|Posted By:||Deloris Williams|
|Subject:||Re: Descendants of John Mills and Sallie Ann Richardson circa 1852|
|Post Date:||January 29, 2011 at 14:54:38|
|Forum:||Nash County, NC Genealogy Forum|
His name was actually JOHN JOSEPH MILLS, not sure who his parents were, but his wife, SALLY RICHARDSON, b. 1836, was the dau/of JEREMIAH RICHARDSON & PATSEY DEMPSEY of Halifax Co.,NC; her uncle, NICHOLAS RICHARDSON was the bondsman for their 1852 marriage.
The family moved around several times prior to finally settling in Nash Co. in 1880, not always with their names listed correctly but they can readily be identified as a unit because of the age matches, it could be that none of their neighbors got to know them enough to get everyone's names correct when the census man came by, since it was common, here are their census records, most of the families they married into were free families, except as noted:
1. U.S. Federal Census, 1850 Halifax County,North Carolina,Image 164,#1595/1595:.
JOHN MILLS-24-M-MU-HALIFAX CO.
2. U.S. Federal Census.
1860 Franklin County,North Carolina,Louisburg, Image 87,#734/734:.
3. U.S. Federal Census, 1870 Warren County,North Carolina,Littleton,Twp.8,Image 23,#175/175:.
JOSEPH MILLS-45-M- MU-FARMER-$60 -NC
SUCKY MILLS-35-F-MU-KEEPING HOUSE-NC
MARTHA MILLS-13-F-MU-FARM LABORER -NC
WILLIAM MILLS-12-M-MU-FARM LABORER-NC
LUCY MILLS-8-F-MU-AT HOME-NC
FRANCES MILLS-6-F-MU-AT HOME- NC
ALFRED MILLS-3-M-MU-AT HOME- NC
BETSY MILLS-8/12-F-MU-AT HOME-NC.
4. U.S. Federal Census.
1880 Nash County,North Carolina,Nashville,District.174,Image 21,#166/166:.
JOHN MILLS-MU-55-M-FARMER-NC NC NC
SALLIE MILLS(wife)-MU-44-M-KEEPING HOUSE- NC NC NC
SARAH F.MILLS(dau)-MU-17-S-FARM HAND-NC NC NC
ALFRED MILLS (son)-MU-14-S-FARM HAND-NC NC NC
ROSA A. MILLS (dau)-MU-10-S-AT HOME-NC NC NC
J. N. MILLS (son)-MU-9-S-AT HOME-NC NC NC
E. J. MILLS (dau)-MU- 6-S-AT HOME-NC NC NC
JOHNIE MILLS (son)-MU-3-S-AT HOME-NC NC NC.
5. Marriage Index or License.
Both parents were listed as "Living" when their son, John W. Mills, married Dorcian Richardson on Sept. 13, 1897. I haven't found them in the 1900 census.
JOHN J. MILLS & SALLY RICHARDSON had a total of abt 10 children:
1. MARY ELIZABETH MILLS(1856-1900/1910) -mar.Aug. 10,1879 Warren Co. to LUTON PETTIFORD(1853-1929) s/o CALVIN PETTIFORD/WINNIE RICHARDSON.
2. WILLIAM W. MILLS (1858-1942) -mar. Jan. 8, 1880 Nash Co. to AVERY PETTIFORD(b.1855) d/o ARCHIBALD PETTIFORD & ELIZABETH RICHARDSON.
3. MARY MILLS (1859-bef 1870)
4. LUCY MILLS (1862-1928) not sure who she married, but was listed as divorced when she died.
5. SARAH FRANCES MILLS (1864-1934) -mar. Oct. 31, 1880 to MONROE DOCK PETTIFORD (1858-1934)s/o CALVIN PETTIFORD & WINNIE RICHARDSON.
6. ALFRED MILLS(1867-1952)-mar. 1st on Dec.27, 1888 Halifax Co. to SALLIE WEST (b.1854) d/o NICHOLAS & TABITHA WEST, former slaves; mar. 2nd on June 11, 1905 Nash Co. to LOUVENIA HOWARD(1880-1941) d/o WILLIAM HOWARD & LIZZIE LUCAS.
7. ROSA MILLS (1869-???)
8. JAMES NORWOOD MILLS (1871-1934) -mar. on June 24, 1890 Warren Co. to MARY PENNIE RICHARDSON (1870-1951)d/o BENJAMIN RICHARDSON & ANN MARIA RICHARDSON; they apparently divorced because PENNIE remarried on Jan. 9, 1927 Halifax Co.,NC to ROBERT HENRY MILLS (1860-1949)s/o SAMUEL ELIJAH MILLS & LUVENIA EVANS, this was R.H. MILLS 4th marriage.
9. E. J. MILLS (1874-???)
10. JOHN WASHINGTON MILLS (1877-1924) -mar.1st on Sept. 13, 1897 Warren Co., to DORCIAN E. RICHARDSON (1881-???)d/o HAYWOOD RICHARDSON & BELINDA TABORN; mar. 2nd on Jan. 23, 1910 Halifax Co.,NC to NANCY LOU RICHARDSON(1880-1920/30) d/o WILLIAM HENRY RICHARDSON & NANCY JONES.
I have more on this family here: