|Posted By:||Janice Thurmond|
|Subject:||Zenos Swilley b. ©1745 Craven Co., NC; d. ©1813 Jones Co|
|Post Date:||March 18, 2007 at 14:31:02|
|Forum:||Jones County, NC Genealogy Forum|
Seeking information on the family of Zenos/Zenas Swilley and his wife, Piercy Maiden Name Unknown. Zenos/Zenas' property was divided into 8 parts after his death, indicating a wife and 7 children. From Deed Records of Jones Co., these children have been identified:
1. Stephen Swilley b. bet. 1780 - 1790 NC; d. bet. 1840 - 1850. Spouse unknown. In 1820, Stephen was found in Jones Co., NC census; 1830, he was in Pulaski Co., GA census; 1840, he was in Onslow Co., NC census. He has not been found in any census after 1840.
2. Nancy Swilley b. © 1784, d. before 1815, married ?Joseph? Clark
3. Lydia E. Swilley b. © 1790, d. © 1824 Onslow Co., NC; married Jacob Koonce, Jr.
4. Sarah Swilley b. © 1794; married Benjamin Griffin. A Benjamin Griffin was found in the 1820 Jones Co., NC census - could that be this couple?
5. Mary Swilley b. © 1800, d. before 1860; married Briton Aman. He was found in 1860 Onslow Co., NC census without Mary (have assumed she was deceased).
6. Caty Swilley married ?Thomas? McQullen
7. (THEORY - not proved yet) Henderson Swilley b. © 1809; d. after 1870 Rapides Parish, LA; married Sarah Maiden Name Unknown.
On the same page with Zenos Swilley in the 1810 Jones Co. census, there is a Sarah STILLY.
On the same page in the 1820 Jones Co. census with -iercy STILLY, there is a Sarah STILLY.
What I am wondering - was there actually a STILLY family in Jones Co., NC at the same time and in close proximity to my SWILLEY family? Was the -iercy STILLY (left hand edge of page illegible) recorded on page 188 in the 1820 Jones Co. census actually Piercy SWILLEY and her surname misspelled?
Was the SWILLEY name actually misspelled S-T-I-L-L-Y in 1810 and 1820?
Any information would be appreciated very, very much!
Janice Newton Thurmond, Marietta, GA