|Posted By:||William Foster|
|Subject:||Re: Looking for Foster Descendants|
|Post Date:||April 28, 2005 at 17:33:20|
|Forum:||Davie County, NC Genealogy Forum|
Please contact me at (email@example.com)
My Ancestor William bought property next to Charles Mcdaniel ! William was the father of Tilman buried at Fork Church .
The James I refer to is James b:1760 who married Elsey Smith
Name: James 1 FOSTER
Given Name: James 1
1. James paid ten (10) shillings for a marriage license (circa 1784)presumably to marry Elsie (Elsey) Smith. They were married December28, 1785. It is not known if this was his first marriage.
2. James received (1787) NC land grant #1722 of 640 acres (@ 50shillings per 100 acres) on the Yadkin River, at mouth of Dutchman'sCreek above the Rock Ford, near Bucknors Mill in Rowan Co., NC. Grantwas adjacent to land owned by Thomas Fauster(Foster ?), Jacob Bucknorand William Copeland in the southeastern corner of Rowan County (see1976 Lagle map and Hughes maps). Transaction is cited in theRowan/Davie County land records as Number 854, pg. 688. 11 July, 1788
Note: The above property, presently owned (in May, 1998) byMilburn Stevens and his wife, is approximately four and one-half milesfrom Highway 64 on Highway 801 in the Fork Community. There is acemetery on the property containing at least twenty-five graves,possibly more. To reach the burial site, turn left on Dillon Road,thendown to the second utility box. The cemetery is in the woods on thesouth side of the road. The site overlooks the Yadkin River.
3. James received 200 acres (1786), part of a subdivision of a stategrant to William Morris.
4. James received 130 acres (1792) from Jacob Crouse, no wife signs,on Dutchman's Creek, Rowan Co., NC (now part of Davie Co., NC) for 145Lbs.(NC State money). Witness: Wm. Bailey and Robt. Foster. 1792 Jan.Book 13, pg 205, Salisbury NC Court House (proven May Court, 1793).
Note: It is believed that Wm. (William) Bailey, a witness to theabove transaction, was the son-in-law of Thomas Foster (b before 1743)and Lucy Ellis. William married their daughter, Lucy Foster, a sisterof Robert Foster, their son, who was the other witness to the abovetransaction.
5. James made and signed a will ( December 30, 1810). It wasprobated/proved in Rowan County, NC, May 1811, Will Book G, pg 195).Will to be executed by his wife, Elsie Smith Foster and Robert Foster,friend. Witness: David Craig and Thomas Foster, Jr. Rowan Countyrecords, dated July 1835, indicate that Benjamin Foster, a son ofJames and Elsie, later served as Administrator of James' estate.
James left all his property to wife Elsie during her lifetime--thento be sold and divided between his six sons( James, Jr., John,George, Thomas, Samuel and Benjamin). He left to his daughter, Elsie,the large family Bible and household needs.
Note: It is believed that Robert Foster, one of the executorsnamed in James' Will, was the son of Thomas Foster (b before 1743) andLucy Ellis. David Craig, a witness to James' Will, was the brother-in-law of said Robert Foster. David Craig married Mary (Molly) Foster,a sister of Thomas Foster, Jr. who was the other witness to the Will.Thomas also was a son of Rober Foster and Lucy Ellis.
The participation in the above transactions by Robert Foster (whois listed as a "friend") and Thomas Foster, Jr., who are believed tobe the sons of Thomas Foster, Sr., coupled with the participation ofWilliam Bailey and David Craig(e) who were the sons-in law of Thomas,Sr. raises a question-- Was James a cousin of Thomas Foster, Sr. (theywere both born in the same time frame) ?
Birth: ABT 1760 in possibly Rowan CO., NC: 1
Death: 30 DEC 1830 in Rowan County, NC 1
Event: Event 1 ABT 1762 Davie Co Heritage, by Elsie Greene Wilcox, Article 705 1 2
Father: Hugh FOSTER b: ABT 1720 in Cecil County, MD
Mother: Abigail b: ABT 1724 in probably New Garden, Guilford County, NC: LSD (NHCH-4L)
Marriage 1 Elsie(Elsey) SMITH b: ABT 1765 in Rowan County, NC
Married: 28 DEC 1785 in Rowan (now Davie) Co., NC 1
James 2 FOSTER b: bet 1785 & 1800 in Rowan Co., NC
John FOSTER b: ABT 1786 in Rowan Co., NC
Thomas FOSTER b: AFT 1786 in Rowan Co., NC
Samuel 2 FOSTER b: ABT 1787 in Rowan CO, NC
Robert FOSTER b: BEF 1787
George FOSTER b: ABT 1791 in Rowan Co., NC
Benjamin FOSTER b: 1796 in probably Rowan CO, NC
Elsie (Elsey) Smith FOSTER b: ABT 1800 in Rowan Co., NC
MyAncestor William Foster moved into Old Rowan / Davie Co abt 1795 --and settled near James .