|Posted By:||Mona Knight|
|Subject:||LEA in Caswell County records books|
|Post Date:||January 23, 2007 at 16:20:41|
|Forum:||Caswell County, NC Genealogy Forum|
The Caswell Co. deed book for 1817-1840 has at least 100 plus pages listed for the surname LEA in the index! They were obviously well known in that county! There is no William R. (for Richard) Lea, but many, many pages for William LEA. I'll try to send info that seems pertinent or might give you a clue in your research.
1. Deed Book S, p. 31-32. Vincent LEA of Petersburg, VA, and William LEA of CC (Caswell County) to Abraham Villines of CC, for $400.75, 114 1/2 Ac on Panther Creek of N Hyco, adjacent John Thomas, James Nelson, being land owned by William Evans and sold at sheriff sale recorded Book P, p. 309; 25 May 1817; witnesses John H. McNeil, Gabl B. LEA.
2. Deed Book S, P. 32-3, Vincent LEA of Petersburg, VA to Gabriel B. LEA, of Leasburg, for $50, 5.75 acres adjacent Leasburg on w side road to Hillsborough, adjacent former Courthouse lot; 19 Mar 1814; witness Lemuel S. Bowers and John H. McNeill.
3. Deed Book S, p. 239, William LEIGH (LEA?) of CC to William Richmond of same, for $393, 105 ac adjacent Gabriel LEA Senr, Thomas Johnston, William LEA, William McDaniel; 11 Mar 1818; wit - James Darby, Jas Whitlow.
4. Deed Book T, p. 42, Thomas Fisher of Robertson Co., TN, attorney for John Stephens of same, to Archibald Samuel and James LEA, son of Capt. John LEA of CC, for $2,436, 203 ac on little Cr adjacent Cuningham old line; 14 May 1818; wit - Wm B Graves, Danl S Farley, Jno Smith, John C. Rogers.
5. Deed Book T, p. 112, George W. LEA of Madison Co., Territory of Alabama, to Nicholas Thompson of CC, for $150, lot 42 in Leasburg with outback lot; 8 May 1819; wit - Abner Stanfield, John Vanhook.
There are dozens of other land entries, too many for me to list.