Posted By:Carol Powell
Subject:Re: Military Reservation
Post Date:January 09, 2003 at 08:48:45
Message URL:
Forum:Crow Wing County, MN Genealogy Forum
Forum URL:

You will find Allen Morrison on

William Folsom, Fifty Years in the Northwest
Viewing records 1-6 of 6 Matches

page xxxvii
Allen Morrison 480

page 461
The first board of officers, qualified Jan. 7, 1850, were: Commissioners, Wm. A. Aitkin, chairman; Joseph Brown and James Beatty; assessors, Truman A. Warren and Reuben M. Richardson; attorney, W. D. Philips. The voting precincts were at Sauk Rapids, Swan River and Crow Wing. The judges of election were: For Sauk Rapids, J. Russell, Wm. Sturgis and Curtis Bellows; for Swan River, Philip Beaupre, James Green and Duncan Stewart; for Crow Wing, Allen Morrison, Wm. Morrison and Sylvester Stateler. The first election was held at Pierre Bottineau's house, now in Sherburne county. George Egbert and Thomas Holmes were judges of election.

page 471
Morrison county was named in honor of Hon. Allen W. Morrison, who came to Minnesota some time in the 20s, and was [p.471] prominent in the early history of the Territory. It was organized April 18, 1856, by the election of the following county officers: Commissioners, Wm. Trask, Elliott J. Kidder and W. W. Stebbins; register of deeds and clerk of board of commissioners, Nathan Richardson; judge of probate, James Fergus; sheriff, Jonathan Pugh; district attorney, W. B. Fairbanks; assessors, W. B. Tuttle and John Fry.

page 478
C. H. Beaulieu appears to have been the first white man to locate within its boundaries. He established a trading post as early as 1837, near the mouth of Crow Wing river. His successors in trade were Allen Morrison and Donald McDonald. Philip Beaupre was here in 1844. When Fort Ripley was built S. B. Olmstead, with his family, built a house and improved a farm opposite the fort on the east bank of the Mississippi. Mr. Olmstead came from Prairie du Chien in 1849. While residing here he served as a member of the second, fifth and sixth territorial legislatures, and in 1854 was elected president of the council. After living here several years, he removed to Texas, and died there some years ago. Mr. Olmstead kept a hotel and managed to secure most of the hay, beef and wood contracts for the fort. Henry M. Rice had a trading post at one time at Crow Wing village, about eight miles above the fort. John H. Fairbanks ran a ferry at the village. Other settlers were Wallace Bean, Henry Whipple, F. M. Campbell, W. B. Wakefield, Ed. Lyndes, Albert Fuller, Thomas Cathcart, Daniel S. Mooers, S. C. Abbe, and members of the Beaulieu family. James A. Parish was the first justice of the peace. John McGillis, who lived at Crow Wing in 1853, was the second and served about fifteen years. In 1856 the first farm was opened on government land, not far from Crow Wing village, by Wallace Bean. The second [p.478] farm was taken by David McArthur, a Canadian, originally from Scotland. George Van Valkenburg opened a blacksmith shop at Crow Wing in 1856, lived there two years and was then employed as government blacksmith by the Indian department, and served as such for twelve years. Crow Wing country was organized in 1857, with the following board of officers: County auditor, C. H. Beaulieu; register of deeds, F. M. Campbell; county treasurer, Robert Fairbanks; county commissioner, J. H. Fairbanks, Allen Morrison, S. B. Olmstead; judge of probate court, Dennis Shaff. The county organization took effect Jan. 1, 1858. The county was attached for judicial purposes, first to Ramsey, and then to Morrison county. F. W. Peake came to Crow Wing in 1858, and opened a trading post, and was afterward one of the mercantile firm of Peake & Wakefield. Rev. E. S. Peake, an Episcopal clergyman, came to Crow Wing about the same time, built a church and remained as rector till the breaking out of the war, when he accepted the chaplaincy of a Wisconsin regiment. After the war he removed to California, and carried on a mission a few years, but later returned to Minnesota and is now stationed at Detroit. Rev. Francis Pierz, a Catholic priest, officiated at Crow Wing and Belle Prairie until 1870, when he returned to his home in Austria.

page 481
Allen Morrison was one of a family of twelve, seven boys and five girls. His father was born in Scotland, but emigrated to Canada, where he died in 1812. Two of the boys were in the English Navy, and killed at the battle of Trafalgar, in Egypt. William Morrison, a brother of Allen, and several years his senior, was among the early explorers of Northern Minnesota, having visited the Territory as early as 1800, and was one of the party who discovered Lake Itasca, the source of the Mississippi [p.481] river. Allen's first visit to this region was in 1820, when he came to Fond du Lac, as a trader in what was then known as the "Northern Outfit." For several years he was associated with his brother William in the Fond du Lac department, during which time he was stationed at Sandy Lake, Leech Lake, Red Lake, Mille Lacs, and Crow Wing, and when the Indians were removed to White Earth, went there also, and remained until his death. In 1826 he was married to Miss Charlotte Chaboullier, who died at Crow Wing in the fall of 1872. She was a daughter of a member of the old Northwestern Fur Company, who was a trader on the Saskatchewan, and died in Canada in 1812. Mr. Morrison was the father of eleven children. Caroline, now in Brainerd, was married to Chris. Grandelmyer in April, 1864. Rachel resides with her sister, Mrs. Grandelmyer. John J. and Allen, at White Earth; Mary, the eldest, now Mrs. J. R. Sloan, at St. Cloud; and Louisa, now Mrs. John Bromley, at Northern Pacific Junction. Mr. Morrison died on the twenty-eighth of November, 1878, and was buried at White Earth, in the historic valley where he had passed so many eventful years. His name, however, will not perish, nor his virtues be forgotten. In the first territorial legislature he represented the district embracing the voting precincts of Sauk Rapids and Crow Wing, and when the present county of Morrison was set off, the legislature named it in honor of this esteemed veteran pioneer.

Charles Lanman, Trip Along the Mississippi River, 1846
Viewing records 1-1 of 1 Matches


It was in a company of some fifty men, composed of voyagers and Indians, and commanded by Allen Morrison, that I performed my pilgrimage to the head waters of the Mississippi, and around the shores of Lake Superior. There were ten canoes in our fleet; the largest (about forty feet long) was occupied by Morrison, myself, and five picked men. He was on his annual visit to the north, to attend the Indian payments, and the great majority of the Indians travelled under his flag, partly for the fun of it, but principally for the purpose of drawing upon him for food, which he always dealt out to them with a liberal hand.

Christopher Andrews, Letters from Minnesota and Dakota
Viewing records 1-1 of 1 Matches

page 191
Crow Wing Allen Morrison.