|Posted By:||Reginald Enman|
|Subject:||RUTH PACKARD wife of Eliphapalet Lane|
|Post Date:||November 09, 2003 at 09:21:31|
|Forum:||Oxford County, ME Genealogy Forum|
Looking for information on RUTH PACKARD wife of Eliphapalet Lane, and her ancestors, what follows is the information i have on her and some of her descendants
1. RUTH1 PACKARD was born September 06, 1758 in Unknown, and died April 30, 1816 in Wilton, Franklin, Maine. She married ELIPHALET LANE July 19, 1777 in New Gloucester, Cumberland, Maine, son of BENJAMIN LANE and HANNAH LANE. He was born September 08, 1754 in Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts, and died Bef. 1783 in Probably Massachussetts.
Notes for RUTH PACKARD:
Moved to Bethel, Oxford, Maine with her second husband.
1790 Census Sudbury Canada, York County, Maine (Bethel, Oxford, Maine)
Free White Males over 16 years of Age 1
Free White Males under 16 years of Age 3
Free White Females 4
The Free White Male over 16 would be Gideon, the father
Gideon the son (1784) and Hosmer (1789) would be two of the Free White Males under the age of 16
Ruth Packard would be one of the Free White Females
Ruth (1785) and Sarah (1787) would be two more of the Free White Females
According to Lapham's history of Bethel all the rest of Gideon Powers and Ruth Packard's children were born after 1790.
This leave 1 Free White Male under 16 and 1 Free White Female. These would be Eliphalet Lane (1780) and Betty Lane (1780) Source Mark Vail.
More About RUTH PACKARD:
Burial: 1816, Powers Cemetery, in Wilton, Franklin, Maine
Burial Fact 1: Her gravestone reads Truth not Ruth. Source, Maine OId Cemeteries Association.
Religion: August 27, 1780, Owned covenant with the First Church, New Gloucester
Notes for ELIPHALET LANE:
New Gloucester, Cumberland, Maine typewritten list of the original handwritten town records. Marriage intentions underlined names mean that the names were not entirely legible.
Page 3. Item 30
The intention of marriage between Mr. Eliphalet Lane and Miss Ruth Pacor (Packard) both of this town, was entered and published July 19th 1777.
Because his father left 1 eighth of his property to his children., when he died about 1805, and there were 10 children, I believe Eliphalet must have died before his father, his brother John died during the war. So this would explain the one-eighth left to the other children. Can find no concrete record of his date of death.
Child of RUTH PACKARD and ELIPHALET LANE is:
2. i. ELIPHALET2 LANE, b. January 15, 1780, New Gloucester, Cumberland, Maine; d. March 26, 1852, Weld, Franklin, Maine.
Generation No. 2
2. ELIPHALET2 LANE (RUTH1 PACKARD) was born January 15, 1780 in New Gloucester, Cumberland, Maine, and died March 26, 1852 in Weld, Franklin, Maine. He married EUNICE BARBOUR Bef. 1800 in Probably Maine, daughter of JOHN BARBOUR and SUSANNAH WILSON. She was born Abt. 1779 in Portland, Cumberland, Maine, and died November 30, 1813 in Webbs Pond Plantation, Maine.
Notes for ELIPHALET LANE:
According to the book on the Dows Family, Eliphalet Lane was a carpenter. He came to Bethel, Oxford, Maine, from North Yarmouth and settled in the east part of town. His mother Ruth Packard Lane Powers also settled in Bethel, Oxford, Maine.
Notes for EUNICE BARBOUR:
According to the 1810 Census Record she resided in Webbs Pond Plantation, Oxford, Maine.
More About EUNICE BARBOUR:
Residence: Weld, Maine
Children of ELIPHALET LANE and EUNICE BARBOUR are:
i. POLLY3 LANE, b. Abt. 1800, Probably Maine; d. Abt. 1900, Death Date Unknown, Assumed dead after 100 years.
ii. ARSENETH LANE, b. Abt. May 24, 1800, Probably Maine; d. Abt. 1900, Death Date Unknown, Assumed dead after 100 years; m. BARETT HOWARD, Abt. 1820, Unknown; b. Abt. 1800, Unknown; d. Abt. 1900, Death Date Unknown, Assumed dead after 100 years.
More About ARSENETH LANE:
Contact 1: Richard Enman Sharon Collins files
3. iii. SYLVANUS LANE, b. July 25, 1802, New Gloucester, Cumberland, Maine; d. June 15, 1879, Grafton, Oxford, Maine.
iv. CHARLES B. LANE, b. December 19, 1804, Probably Maine; d. Abt. 1904, Death Date Unknown, Assumed dead after 100 years.
v. BETSEY LANE, b. Abt. 1807, Probably Maine; d. Abt. 1809, Probably Maine.
vi. JOTHAM SEWELL LANE, b. November 06, 1809, Probably Maine; d. March 10, 1856, Unknown.
Generation No. 3
3. SYLVANUS3 LANE (ELIPHALET2, RUTH1 PACKARD) was born July 25, 1802 in New Gloucester, Cumberland, Maine, and died June 15, 1879 in Grafton, Oxford, Maine. He married SUBMIT FOSTER Bef. October 1827 in Unknown, daughter of ASA FOSTER and ANNA BARTLETT. She was born March 04, 1808 in Newry, Oxford, Maine, and died August 25, 1847 in Hanover, Oxford, Maine.
Notes for SYLVANUS LANE:
His gravestone reads Sylvanus Lane died June 15, 1879 age 76 yrs 10 ms.
A deed in 1826 shows that Sylvanus Lane and Barrett Howard bought a grist mill from Phinias Frost in Howard's Gore for $600.00, Sylvanus's share of the grist mill was sold to Barrett Howard in 1829 for $200.00. The second deed has both Sylvanus's signature and Submit Lane's signature. Jotham Sewell Lane later bought back the Lane portion of the grist mill for $300.00. Source Mark Vail.
More About SYLVANUS LANE:
Burial: June 1879, Grafton, Oxford, Maine
Notes for SUBMIT FOSTER:
# Name: Submit FOSTER
# Sex: F
# Birth: 1805 in Newry, Oxford, Maine
# Death: 25 AUG 1847 in Hanover, Oxford, Maine
# Burial: AUG 1847 Rumford Point Cemetery, Rumford Point, Oxford, Maine
Marriage 1 Sylvanus LANE b: 25 JUL 1802 in New Gloucester, Cumberland, Maine
* Married: BEF OCT 1827 in ???
1. Has Children Jotham Sewell LANE b: 12 OCT 1827 in Hanover, Oxford, Maine
2. Has No Children Mary F. LANE b: 1824 in Probably Maine
3. Has No Children Roscoe H. LANE b: 9 MAR 1836 in Hanover, Oxford, Maine
More About SUBMIT FOSTER:
Burial: August 1847, Rumford Point Cemetery, Rumford Point, Oxford, Maine
Children of SYLVANUS LANE and SUBMIT FOSTER are:
i. MARY F.4 LANE, b. Abt. 1824, Probably Maine; d. Abt. 1924, Death Date Unknown, Assumed dead after 100 years.
ii. JOTHAM SEWELL LANE, b. October 12, 1827, Hanover, Oxford, Maine; d. December 25, 1903, Upton, Oxford, Maine; m. ELOHI VERRILL BEAN, August 27, 1855, Probably Oxford County, Maine; b. May 28, 1835, Bethel, Oxford, Maine; d. January 18, 1918, Errol, Coos, New Hampshire.
Notes for JOTHAM SEWELL LANE:
His gravestone reads At rest Jotham S. Lane Oct 12, 1827 Dec. 25, 1903 Elohe V. his wife May 28, 1835 January 18, 1918.
More About JOTHAM SEWELL LANE:
Burial: December 1903, The Upton Cemetery, Upton, Oxford, ME
Cause of Death: He died of pneumonia
Medical Examiner: Reported by W.J. Twitchell, MD
More About ELOHI VERRILL BEAN:
Cause of Death: Senility
Died at Age: January 18, 1918, Age - Years 82 - Months 7 - Days 20
Medical Examiner: W.F. Noyes, MD
iii. ROSCOE H. LANE, b. March 09, 1836, Hanover, Oxford, Maine; d. Abt. 1936, Death Date Unknown, Assumed dead after 100 years.