|Posted By:||Cathy Farrell|
|Subject:||ROBERT BOYD McKEE born 1800 married MARY CECELIA BOLE Dec. 22, 1870|
|Post Date:||March 29, 2012 at 13:24:40|
|Forum:||Mckee Family Genealogy Forum|
Title: Armstrong County, Pennsylvania: her people past and present, embracing a history of the co and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, v.2
Chicago: J.H. Beers, 1914
ROBERT BOYD McKEE is of pure Scotch-Irish stock, his father, ROBERT McKEE, having been born in Ballyclare, Antrim, Ireland, in 1800, and his mother being of an old Irish family. His father came to America about 1833. He was a cooper by trade, and after working for some time in Virginia and Maryland finally settled in Freeport about 1838.
JOHN JACKSON, MR. McKEE’S great-grandfather on the maternal side, came from Ireland in 1770, settling first in Lancaster County, then moving to near Hannastown, Westmoreland County, and finally locating permanently in what is now called Kiskiminetas Township, Armstrong County. Here he cleared the land and established the well-known JACKSON farm, near Apollo, which is still held in the family. Here a daughter was born July 1, 1776, which tradition says was the first child born to the white settlers in the territory then known as the “Backwoods,” north of the Kiskiminetas river. This daughter married WILLIAM HILL, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, April 5, 1798, and to them nine children were born. The youngest daughter, ELIZA, born in the bounds of the famous “Appleby Manor” Sept. 17, 1815, was married to ROBERT McKEE Aug. 12, 1841, at her home in South Buffalo Township. Three children came to them, the youngest, ROBERT BOYD, on Aug. 14, 1846. In the September following the father died, leaving the mother with two children to battle with the world.
ROBERT B. McKEE spent his childhood in Freeport, attending school for four months (pg. 377) of the year, and assisting his uncles on their farms until his sixteenth year, when he hired with a farmer for six dollars a month. After six months’ service he began working on the old Pennsylvania canal, helping run the ferry over the Allegheny at Freeport, working on the West Pennsylvania railroad, and doing general chores until August, 1864, when he enlisted, becoming a private in Company I, 5th Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery. He was promoted to corporal Oct. 5, 1864, and at the close of the war was honorably discharged, June 30, 1865. Returning home he attended a select school and the Freeport Academy during the balance of the summer and the following winter, was then granted a certificate, and began to teach in the Wilson School of North Buffalo Township in November, 1866. Here he taught the four months’ term and an additional month, for which the citizens raised the money, the following winter took a school in Laneville, and thereafter was a teacher for three years in the public schools of Freeport.
MR. McKEE was married Dec. 22, 1870 to MARY CECELIA BOLE, a member of an old and respected family of the county, and in the spring of 1871 went to housekeeping in Pittsburgh, where he was employed as foreman in an oil refinery for four years. In the spring of 1875 he returned to Freeport and bought an interest in the dry goods and grocery business with Levi Bush, the firm being Bush & McKee. In 1879 he sold out and assumed charge of the Freeport Journal, organized by him as a stock company, and purchased from the original owners, who had started it in 1876. He gradually acquired all the stock, running it alone until July, 1902, when his son CHARLES H. taken into partnership. The paper under the editorial charge of MR. McKEE has been a power for good in the community and has a large and steadfast list of subscribers.
MR. McKEE has four sons, all living: BURTT F., living in Oakmont, and assistant manager of the American Typefounders Company (he is married and has seven children); CHARLES H.; JESSIE C., employed on the Journal; and ROBIN B., purchasing agent for the West Penn Steel Works at Brackenridge, Pa.
MR. McKEE is a member of the Presbyterian Church, in which he and his wife were the leaders of the choir for over 30 years; he is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R. He was an employee of the State Legislature in 1879, clerk of the State Senate in 1881, and secretary for Hon. Joseph G. Beale in the 1908 sessions of Congress. From 1883 to 1884 he was in the revenue service under Colonel Jackson, was a member and secretary of the school board for six years, borough treasurer 20 years, helped organize and was for over 30 years a director of the Freeport Building & Loan Association, member and secretary of the Freeport Cemetery Association for 25 years, justice of the peace for two terms, and a notary public for 25 years.
In 1902 he went to visit the birthplace of his father in Ireland and included England and Scotland in the tour. He has been a Republican all of his life until late years, and expects to return to his first love when the party is reorganized.