|Posted By:||Eve Royce|
|Post Date:||March 25, 2005 at 09:43:36|
|Forum:||Mckay Family Genealogy Forum|
Does anyone know these families?
Descendants of William McKay
Generation No. 1
1. William2 McKay (William1) was born 1744 in Skye Isle, Inverness, Scotland, and died April 04, 1802 in Chesterfield, SC. He married Margaret Monroe December 31, 1799 in Rowan County, NC.
Children of William McKay and Margaret Monroe are:
+ 2 i. Hugh3 McKay, born March 24, 1780; died in Cheraw, Chesterfield Co, SC (Buried in St. David's Churchyard).
3 ii. Catherine McKay, died August 15, 1814 in Richmond, NC.
4 iii. Adam McKay. He married Catherine Henderson.
5 iv. Alexander McKay, born 1792.
Generation No. 2
2. Hugh3 McKay (William2, William1)1 was born March 24, 1780, and died in Cheraw, Chesterfield Co, SC (Buried in St. David's Churchyard). He married Sarah Nicholson1 March 27, 1802 in Chesterfield Co., S.C., daughter of Angus Nicholson and Annie McCall.
Children of Hugh McKay and Sarah Nicholson are:
6 i. William4 McKay, born June 10, 1803 in Chesterfield, SC; died February 06, 1807 in Chesterfield, SC.
+ 7 ii. Ann McKay, born November 07, 1804; died September 17, 1877 in Hernando, De Soto County, MS.
8 iii. Sarah McKay, born March 21, 1805.
9 iv. Isabella McKay, born June 21, 1807; died Aft. 1845.
10 v. William Ramell McKay, born June 21, 1807; died 1828 in Quincy, Florida.
+ 11 vi. Donald Lanceford McKay, born September 25, 1808 in Chesterfield, SC; died June 13, 1869 in Chesterfield Co, SC (Buried in St. David's Churchyard).
12 vii. John Andrew McKay, born February 10, 1810 in Bennettsville, SC; died August 23, 1871 in GA. He married Margarietta Jane Postell October 22, 1839 in Beaufort District, S.C..
13 viii. Jane McKay, born May 11, 1811 in Bennettsville, SC; died November 06, 1850 in Bennettsville, SC. She married John McCollum.
+ 14 ix. Angus Nicholson McKay, born February 10, 1813 in Chesterfield Co, SC; died in Hernando, De Soto County, MS.
15 x. Katherine McKay, born August 01, 1815 in Chesterfield Co, SC; died December 06, 1821 in Chesterfield Co, SC (Buried in St. David's Churchyard).
Generation No. 3
7. Ann4 McKay (Hugh3, William2, William1) was born November 07, 1804, and died September 17, 1877 in Hernando, De Soto County, MS. She married Henry Dockery November 18, 1830 in Greensville, NC.
Children of Ann McKay and Henry Dockery are:
+ 16 i. Thomas C.5 Dockery, born 1832 in NC.
17 ii. Laura A Dockery, born 1837.
18 iii. Olivia Dockery, born 1842.
19 iv. Donnell Dockery, born 1844.
20 v. Hugh Dockery, born 1849.
11. Donald Lanceford4 McKay (Hugh3, William2, William1) was born September 25, 1808 in Chesterfield, SC, and died June 13, 1869 in Chesterfield Co, SC (Buried in St. David's Churchyard). He married Mary Jane Coachman November 16, 1836 in Georgetown, SC.
Children of Donald McKay and Mary Coachman are:
21 i. Mary C.5 McKay, born October 25, 1850; died September 01, 1911 in Buried in Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, SC. She married Edwin P. Frost.
22 ii. Ramelle L. McKay, born December 12, 1838; died September 18, 1916 in buried in Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, SC.
14. Angus Nicholson4 McKay (Hugh3, William2, William1)1 was born February 10, 1813 in Chesterfield Co, SC, and died in Hernando, De Soto County, MS. He married Rebecca Ann Rice2 September 30, 1846, daughter of David Rice and Nancy Branch.
Notes for Angus Nicholson McKay:
DESOTO COUNTY, MISSISSIPPI
LARGEST SLAVEHOLDERS FROM 1860 SLAVE CENSUS SCHEDULES
MCKAY, A. N., 65 slaves, page 92
Tennessee the Volunteer State 1769?1923: Volume 3
PETER P. VAN VLEET.
On the 24th of April, 1884, Mr. Van Vleet was united in marriage to Miss Ramelle McKay, daughter of Major Angus Nicholson and Rebecca Ann (Rice) McKay. Their children are: Mrs. Elsa Van Vleet Connor, the wife of General William D. Connor, an officer of the United States army; Mrs. Curtis King of Memphis; and McKay Van Vleet, who succeeded his father as president of the Van Vleet-Mansfield Drug Company. [p.17]
In 1870, both Joseph Rice (married to Mary Ann Nicholson who has ties to the McKay family) and Angus Nicholson McKay (married to Joseph's sister Rebecca) are living next door to one another in Hernando, DeSoto, Mississippi.
Children of Angus McKay and Rebecca Rice are:
23 i. David Rice5 McKay, born 1849 in Chesterfield Co, SC; died 1850 in Chesterfield Co, SC (Buried in St. David's Churchyard).
24 ii. Donald McKay, born Abt. 1850.
25 iii. Mattie McKay, born Abt. 1855.
+ 26 iv. Ramelle McKay, born Abt. 1859.
27 v. Rebecca McKay, born Abt. 1863.
28 vi. Isabella McKay, born Abt. 1865.
Generation No. 4
16. Thomas C.5 Dockery (Ann4 McKay, Hugh3, William2, William1) was born 1832 in NC. He married Mary F..
Child of Thomas Dockery and Mary F. is:
+ 29 i. William Alfred6 Dockery, born Abt. 1865 in Mississippi.
26. Ramelle5 McKay (Angus Nicholson4, Hugh3, William2, William1) was born Abt. 1859. She married Peter P. Van Vleet April 24, 1884.
Notes for Ramelle McKay:
Ramell is dead by the 1920 census - her husband is listed as a widower.
Child of Ramelle McKay and Peter Van Vleet is:
30 i. Angus McKay6 Van Vleet, born 1888 in Memphis, TN.
Notes for Angus McKay Van Vleet:
Can be found on the 1920 census as McKay Van Vleet.
Generation No. 5
29. William Alfred6 Dockery (Thomas C.5, Ann4 McKay, Hugh3, William2, William1) was born Abt. 1865 in Mississippi. He married Hughla M. Rice, daughter of Joseph Rice and Mary Nicholson.
Notes for Hughla M. Rice:
Mississippi State University Library
Special Collections Department, Manuscripts Division
Manuscript Collections Documenting Agriculture and Rural Life
Dockery (William Alfred) Family Papers. 1887-1980 and undated. 1 cu. ft.
Primarily letters between William Alfred Dockery and Hughla Rice Dockery, 1887-1945 and undated, of Dockery Farms, Sunflower County, Mississippi. Also includes materials concerning Joe Rice Dockery, Dockery Farms and other area plantations.
Children of William Dockery and Hughla Rice are:
31 i. Frances A.7 Dockery, born December 25, 1898 in TN; died January 1986 in Parkin, Cross County, AK. She married James Cherry.
32 ii. Joseph Rice Dockery, born 1906; died July 1982 in MS.
1. Hugh and Sarah McKay Bible.
2. Nancy Branch/David Rice Bible.