|Posted By:||Justin Maitland|
|Subject:||Re: Comfort Myers, who married Charles M. Maitland|
|Post Date:||August 04, 2005 at 05:42:15|
|Forum:||Maitland Family Genealogy Forum|
Descendants of Conrad Shively and Mary Moyer
Conrad Shively b. 1773 in York, PA (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) d. June 7, 1850 in Louisville, Stark Co., Ohio (8) m. Mary Moyer (4)
I. Philip d. 1843 in Clear Creek, Ashland Co., Ohio m. Susannah
ii. Frederick m. Elizabeth Ream
iv. John b. Jan. 29, 1800 in West Buffalo, PA d. Sept. 17, 1873 in Miami Co., Indiana Married: Margaret (Risinger?)
vi. Barbara m. Isaac Crowl
viii. Conrad b. Nov 3, 1806 in West Buffalo, Northumberland Co., PA d. March 29, 1878 in Sigourney, Keokuk, Iowa m. Mary Magdelena Grice
ix. Sarah m. James Allen
x. Eva m. John Hyett
xi. Samuel m. Anna Jane Vaulthier
xii. Catherine m. Isaac Burgert
1. Conrad Shively was living in West Buffalo, Northumberland Co., Pennsylvania in 1800 according to the 1800 Census Report for West Buffalo, Northumberland Co., Pennsylvania. This can be found on Roll M32_37, Page 856. Conrad is found living next door to Christian Shively and close by Henry Shively and another Christian Shively.
2. Conrad resided 29 Nov. 1803 in West Buffalo, Northumberland Co., Pennsylvania (Deed Book M pg. 43 at Sunbury, Pennsylvania).
3. Personal Researcher: Susan K. McMahan.
4. Personal Researcher: Larry Wayne Shively: Editor of the Shively Newsletter, P.O. BOX 10863, Chicago, Illinois 60610-0863.
5. Fellowship of Brethern Genealogists Newsletter, Volume 23, Number 3, Fall 1991, pg. 44.
6. Arthur Geiger Black, comp., Descendants of Christian Shively of Warwick Twp., Lancaster Co., and later York Twp., York Co., Penn.(Kansas City, MO: Arthur G. Black 1941), pgs. 14-15, Daughters of the American Revolutionary Library, Washington D.C., LC Microfilm: 86/5260.Photocopy in possession of MDGeorgeson.
7. Family Tree Maker, Mortality Index: United States, 1850-1880, DC #164, Novato, CA: Broderbund, 2000, Sec. XXVI, Ch. 44, Stark Co., OH 1850. “Shively, Coonrad, Sex: M, Age: 77, Born in PA, MO: Sept. Cause: Gravel, Occ: Farmer.
8. 1830 Census Report in Osnaburg, Stark Co., Ohio for Conrad Shively and Household 1 male 10-15, 1 male 50-60
1 female 15-20, 1 woman 50-60
9. Northumberland County Deed Book, at Sunbury,
Pennsylvania, Book M, pg. 443. "29 Nov 1803: Conrad Sheibly, Christian Sheibly, John Sheibly to Frederick Sheibly, of West Buffalo Twp., Northumberland, PA, farmer, one of the sons of John Sheibly late of the said West Buffalo Twp., Northumberland, PA, yeoman, have on date hereof received of Conrad Sheibly, Christian Sheibly and John Sheibly my full and whole share of lands of said John Sheibly, deceased, situated in West Buffalo Twp., Northumberland, PA, adjoining the lands of said Christian Sheibly, John Wierback and the said John Sheibly and Penns Creek, containing 83 acres and 83 perches and allowances, according to the division of us made and provided for that purpose for the sum of 460£ lawful money of PA. Each of remise, unto Frederick Sheibly, in real estate above described of the real estate of said John Sheibly, deceased. Signed: Conrad Sheivley, Christian Sheibly, John "X" Sheibly. Witnesses: Frederick Gutelies, Daniel Lamsel. Ackd: 29 Aug 1804 before George Youngman, JP, Comm. PA by Conrad Sheibly, Christian Shiebly, John Sheibly. Recorded 28 Aug 1804."
10. Original place name: Bellefont, Columbiana, Ohio. This city seems to have disappeared by 1940. The land is located in Middleton Twp., Columbiana, Ohio.
11. Columbiana County, Ohio Deed Book, Lisbon, Ohio, Book 6, pg. 363. "Nicholas Young, Barbary, wife, of Columbiana Co., OH to Conrad Shivley, same place, dated 1 Apr 1819. $28.25: lots #32, 33 and 28; 50 x 152.5; in town of Bellefont, Ohio as shown on map of sd town (land was in Columbiana Co., OH in 1819)."
12. Union County Deed Book, at Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, Book F, pg. 199. "Gives the heirs of Conrad Berger: Christian Shively, m. Susanna Berger; Mary Berger, wife of Conrad, decd, had m. _____ Spiegelmyer; Sarah Berger, m. John Henry Hummel; Peggy Berger, m. Leonard Boyer; Mary Elizabeth Berger, m. George Boop; Eve Shively, wife of John, then wife of Philip Mann."
13. Union Co., PA Deed Book, Book I, pg. 250.
14. Stark County, Ohio Deed Book, Canton, Ohio, Deed Book I, pg. 115.
15. Stark Co., OH Deed Book, Deed Book I, pg. 116.
16. Columbiana Co., OH Deed Book, Book 25, pg. 713. "Conrad Shively, wife, Mary, of Stark Co., Ohio to Jacob Young, of Columbiana Co., Ohio, dated 24 Aug 1835. Part of Section 6, Twp 7, Range 1, Columbiana Co., Ohio, lots 28, 32 and 33 in town of Bellefonte, being lots Nicholas Young and Barbara, wife sold to Conrad Shively. Witnesses: George Dunbar, Jacob Nueff? Ackl: 24 Aug 1835, recorded 5 Jun 1837. (This land is in the NW corner of Middleton Twp - see deed this data dated 1 Apr 1819, Book 6, pg. 363) It is N of Rogers which is in MIddleton Twp."
17. Conrad resided 29 Nov 1803 in Buffalo Twp., Northumberland, Pennsylvania. He received a land deed for three lots, #32, 33 and 28, in town from Nicholas Young 1 Apr 1819 at Bellfonte, Columbiana, Ohio. He received a land deed 26 Jan 1821 at Buffalo Twp., Northumberland, Pennsylvania. He resided in West Buffalo Twp., Union, Pennsylvania. He moved to Nimishillen Twp., Stark, Ohio. He received a land deed for land in the SE quarter of Section 11, Twp. 19, Range 7 7 Mar 1826 at Nimishillen Twp., Stark, Ohio. He sold the land in the SE quarter of Section 11, Twp. 19, Range 7 to Philip Shively 23 Feb 1829 at Nimishillen Twp., Stark, Ohio. He sold lots 28, 32 and 33 in town to Jacob Young 24 Aug 1835 at Bellfonte, Columbiana, Ohio. He died from gravel(?). He had a will 26 May 1845 at , Stark, Ohio
1830 Census Report of Philip Shively and Household in Nimishillen, Stark Co., Ohio 1 male 30-40; 1 woman 20-30
1840 Census Report of Philip Shiveley and Household in Clear Creek, Richland Co., Ohio, pg.107 1 male 40-50, 1 female 5-10, 1 woman 30-40
1850 Census Report of Susannah Shively in Clear Creek, Ashland Co., OH 34/34
Susannah Shively 46 F PA
Elizabeth 18 F OH
http://genforum.genealogy.com/shively/messages/940.html: By Barbara Klee, May 30, 2004
My great great grandparents were Philip and Susannah Shiveley. Philip died in 1843, Susannah in 1880. On the 1850 Clear Creek census Susannah is listed along with her daughter. On the same page are John and Margaret Shiveley and Israel Shiveley. They must have been neighbors. I know that John and Israel are related to Philip as they are listed as purchasing assets from his farm at his death. I have seen another younger Philip listed as a child but I am not sure if he is a son of Israel. Don't know if this is of help to you but I have found that our Shiveley line is really difficult to find. B Klee
Eva Shively married John Hyett (1)
i. Eva Hyett (1)
ii. Sarah Hyett (1)
1. Personal Researcher: Susan McMahan.
2. 1830 Census Report in Nimishillen Stark Co., Ohio for John Hyett and Household 1 male 5-10, 2 males 10-15, 1 male 30-40
This family lives next door to Frederick Shively 2 females Under 5, 1 5-10, 1 woman 30-40
Frederick Shively married Elizabeth Ream on September 3, 1828 in Stark Co., Ohio (1,2)
1. Marriage Index: IL, IN, KY, OH, TN, 1720-1926, Novato, CA: Broderbund, 1995, Sec. V, Ch. 33, Stark Co., OH (1809-1849). Compiled By Dorothy Ledbetter Murray and Nicholas Russell Murray, Hunting For Bears, Inc., P.O. BOX 25593, Salt Lake City, Utah 84125. “Ream, Elizabeth, Spouse “Shively, Frederick, Marriages date: 3 Sept. 1828.”
2. Personal Researcher: Susan McMahan.
3. 1830 Census Report in Nimishillen, Stark Co., Ohio for Frederick Shively and Household 1 male 20-30; 1 female Under 5, 1 woman 20-30
Barbara Shively married Isaac Crowl on June 2, 1836 in Stark Co., Ohio (1, 2)
1. Marriage Index: IL, IN, KY, OH, TN, 1720-1926, Novato, CA: Broderbund, 1995, Sec. V, Ch. 33, Stark Co., OH (1809-1849). Compiled By Dorothy Ledbetter Murray and Nicholas Russell Murray, Hunting For Bears, Inc., P.O. BOX 25593, Salt Lake City, Utah 84125. “Crowl,Isaac, Spouse “Shively, Barbara, Marriages date: 2 Jun. 1836.
Conrad Shively married Mary Magdelena Grice on June 8, 1830 in Stark Co., Ohio (1). Conrad is buried at Conners Cemetery in Sigourney, Keokuk, Iowa (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
i. Elizabeth Shively
ii. Jonathan Shively
iii. Peter Shively
iv. Samuel Shively
v. Mary Shively
vi. David Shively
vii. Leah Shively
viii. Catherine Shively
ix. Daniel Shively
x. Abram Shively
xi. Sarah E. Shively
1. Personal Researcher: Susan K. McMahan.
2. Personal Researcher: Larry Wayne Shively: Editor of the Shively Newsletter, P.O. BOX 10863, Chicago, Illinois 60610-0863.
3. Original Name Place: West Buffalo, Pennsylvania. “West Buffalo is an original township, formed from Buffalo in Jan. 1792, while a part of Northumberland County. Union was formed on March 22, 1813.
4. Ancestry.com, Iowa Cemetery Records (Provoto, UT: Ancestry.com 2000), Gravestone Records of Keokuk, Iowa, pg. 190. Original data: Works Project Administration. Graves Registration Project. Washington D.C.: n.p. “Name: Conrad Shively; deaths date: 29 Mar 1878; age 72; Cemetery: Conner; Town: Sigourney; Relative: Wife: Mary M.”
5.1850 Census Report of Conrad Shively and Family of Sigourney, Keokuk, Iowa
Conrad Shively 44 PA
Mary 39 MD
Elizabeth 18 OH
Jonathan 15 OH
Peter 13 OH
Samuel 11 OH
Mary A. 9 OH
David 7 OH
Leah 5 OH
Catherine 3 IA
6. 1860 Census Report of Conrad Shively and Family of Sigourney, Keokuk, Iowa
Conrad 54 PA
Mary 49 MD
Samuel 21 OH
Mary 19 OH
David 17 OH
Leah 15 OH
Catherine 13 IA
Daniel 10 IA
Abram 8 IA
Sarah E. 5 IA
Samuel Shively born December 13, 1813 died March 31, 1880 in Louisville, Stark Co., Ohio (2) married Anna Jane Vaulthier on Sep. 12, 1844 in Stark Co., Ohio (1)
I. Mary Shively (1)
ii. Eugenia Shively (1)
iii. Francis Shively (1)
iv. Dora Shively (1)
v. Hannah/Anna Shively
vi. Jane/Jennie Shively
vii. Serephene Shively
1. Personal Researchers: Susan K. McMahan
2. Ohio Genealogical Society, Ohio Death Records, 1991, pp. 442, 443.
3. 1860 Census Report of Samuel Shively and Family in Louisville, Stark Co., Ohio
Samuel Shively 46 M Day Laborer Pennsylvania 250/150
Jane Shively 30 France
Mary E. Shively 14 Ohio
Frances Shively 8 Ohio
Hannah Shively 5 Ohio
Jane Shively 3 Ohio
Serephene Shively 1/12 Ohio
Mary Shively 80 Pennsylvania
4. 1880 Census Report of Samuel Shively and Family in Louisville, Stark Co., Ohio
Samuel Shively Self M W Male 65 OH Day Laborer Father’s Birthplace: PA Mother’s Birthplace: PA
Jennie Shively Wife M W Female 56 France Keeping House Parents were born in France
Mary Shively Dau S W Female 32 OH Dress Maker Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: France
Francis Shively Dau S W Female 27 OH Dress Maker Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: France
Anna Shively Dau S W Female 25 OH Dress Maker Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: France
Jennie Shively Dau S W Female 23 OH Dress Maker Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: France
Dora Shively Dau S W Female 16 OH Dress Maker Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: France
Catherine Shively born Feb. 14, 1814 died June 19, 1879 in Saint Croix, Wisconsin married Isaac Burgert on April 29, 1832 in Stark Co., Ohio (1, 2)
I. Sarah Burgert b. about 1834 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio (3)
ii. Elnora Burgert b. about 1837 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio (3)
iii. David S. Burgert b. about 1847 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio (5) m. Carrie and lived in St. Croix, Wisconsin (5)
iv. Adam Shively Burgert b. October 14, 1835 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio m. Charlotte F. Hall on March 1, 1863 (9)
v. Obediah Burgert b. about 1841 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio (3) m. Mary Shively (d. of Conrad Shively Jr. of Sigourney, Keokuk, Iowa) in 1862 and lived in St. Croix, Wisconsin (3)
vi. Mary Burgert b. about 1843 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio
vii. Catherine Burgert b. about 1842 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio
viii. Eliza Burgert b. around 1844 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio
ix. Abraham S. Burgert b. December 30, 1846 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio m. Mary Jane Hall in 14 Dec 1865 in Menomonie, Dunn Co, Wisconsin (10)
x. Samuel Burgert b. about 1851 in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio
xi. Isaac S. Burgert b. around 1854 in Ohio or Indiana m. Polly (4) and lived in St. Croix, Wisconsin (3)
1. Marriage Index: IL, IN, KY, OH, TN, 1720-1926, Novato, CA: Broderbund, 1995, Sec. V, Ch. 33, Stark Co., OH (1809-1849). Compiled By Dorothy Ledbetter Murray and Nicholas Russell Murray, Hunting For Bears, Inc., P.O. BOX 25593, Salt Lake City, Utah 84125. “Shively, Catherine Spouse: Burgert, Isaac, Marriages date: 29 April 1832.”
2. Personal Researchers: Susan K. McMahan
3. 1850 Census in Paris, Stark Co., Ohio 364/368 for Isaac Burget and Family
Isaac Burget 39 M Carpenter 600 PA
Catherine 36 F PA
Sarah 16 F Ohio
Elnora 14 F Ohio
Adam 13 M Ohio
David 11 M Ohio
Obediah 9 M Ohio
Mary 8 F Ohio
Catherine 5 F Ohio
Eliza 3 F Ohio
Abraham 1 M Ohio
4. 1860 Census in Etna Green, Kosciusko Co., Indiana 1223/1229 for Isaac Burget and Family
Isaac Burget 49 M Master Carpenter 1000/200 PA
Catherine 47 F Ohio
Adam 25 M Carpenter Ohio
David 22 M Ohio
Catherine 18 F Ohio
Eliza 16 F Ohio
Abraham 14 M Ohio
Samuel 11 M Ohio
Isaac 5 M Ohio
5. 1880 Census Report for Obediah Burgert and Family in Hershey, St. Croix, Wisconsin, Page No. 21
Obediah Burgert Self M W 39 OH Engineer Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: OH
Mary Burgert Wife F W 38 OH Keeping House Father’s Birthplace: PA Mother’s Birthplace: MD
Nellie Burgert Dau F W 18 IA Doing House Work Father’s Birthplace:--- Mother’s Birthplace: OH
Isaac Burgert Son M W 13 WI Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: OH
Florence Burgert Son F W 7 WI Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: OH
Delta Burgert Dau F W 5 WI Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: OH
Obediah Burgert Other M W 11M WI Father’s Birthplace: OH Mother’s Birthplace: OH
6. 1880 Census Report for Isaac Burgert and Household in Wilson, St. Croix Co., Wisconsin 17/19
Isaac Burgert W M 69 Widower Cabinet Maker PA FBP: PA MBP: PA
Cassie Herb W F 16 Granddaughter Keeping House Indiana FBP: Ohio MBP: Ohio
NEXT DOOR ARE 17/26
Isaac Burgert Jr W M 26 Self Fireman on Locomotive Indiana FBP: Penn MBP: Penn
Polly W F 21 Wife Keeping House Illinois FBP: Penn MBP: Penn
Lavern W M 2 Son Wisconsin FBP: Indiana MBP: Illinois
Vadie L. W F 8M Dau Wisconsin FBP: Indiana MBP: Illinois
7. 1880 Census Report of David S. Burgert and Family in Wilson, St, Croix Co., Wisconsin, Page No. 257B
David S. Burgert Self M Male W 33 IN Carpenter FBP: PA MBP: OH
Carrie Wife M Female W 21 WI Keeps House FBP: NY MBP: NY
Cora Dau S Female W 14 WI FBP: OH MBP: WI
Dora Dau S Female W 10 WI FBP: OH MBP: WI
Minnie Dau S Female W 8 WI FBP: OH MBP: WI
Cassie Dau S Female W 3 WI FBP: OH MBP: WI
Lotty Dau S Female W 1 WI FBP: OH MBP: WI
Abba Swartz Other S Female W 15 WI Does House Work FBP: OH MBP: OH
8. 1870 Census Report for Abraham Burgert and Family in Menomonie, Dunn Co., Wisconsin 131/136
Abraham Burgert 24 M Carpenter Ohio
Martha Burgert 23 F Keeps H. Ohio
Mary Burgert 3 F Wisonsin
Henry Hall 16 M Works in Saw Mill Indiana
Albert Hall 13 M Indiana
9. CHARLOTTE F. HALL was born 18 Oct 1844 in Rovenna, Portage Co, Ohio, and died 08 Nov 1915 in Webster, Wis. She married ADAM SHIVELY BURGERT 01 Mar 1863 in Ohio. He was born 14 Oct 1835 in Paris, Stark Co, Ohio, and died 03 Jun 1917 in Webster, Burnett Co, Wis. Her death certificate reads that she died of Diabetes at age 71. It also has her last name spelled BURGETT. Somewhere along the line the spelling was changed. The info was given by daughter, Ella Burgert Cornwall.
Ella also spelled her last name Cornwell, and her marriage certificate spelled her name Burgett. Burial: Webster, Wis, Orange Cemetery ADAM SHIVELY BURGERT: Death certificate reads that he died of a cerebral hemorrhage. Adam was a Carpenter. Is buried in Orange Cemetery, named changed abt 1992/3 t o Lakeside Cemetery, in Webster, Wisconsin. There is only a BURGERT family headstone, and no personal headstones for Adam or his wife, Charlotte. The Burgert family lived in Etna Green, Kosciusko Co, Wayne Twp, Indiana before the children, and perhaps only the sons, moved to Menomonie, Wis. Burial: Webster, Lakeside Coimbatore, Wis
His brother, Obediah Burgert (changed spelling of his name to Burgett at Some point) married Mary SHIVELY in 1862, in Indiana. Mary was a niece to Catherine Shively Burgert. Mary's father, Conrad Shively, was a brother To Catherine. The Shively family must have moved to Indiana also. Or see notes on Catherine. It seems that the Hall, Shively, Baker and Burgert families all knew each other and lived in the same areas together beginning possibly in Penn., Ohio , Indiana and then Wis. and intermarried.
Children of CHARLOTTE HALL and ADAM BURGERT are:
i. WILLIAM SERAPHINE 7 BURGERT, b. 21 Dec 1863, Etna Green, Kosciusko Co, Ind; d. 03 Jan 1946, Webster, Burnett Co, Wis; m. CLARA ISABEL GUNTER, 04 Jun 1886, Menomonie, Dunn Co, Wis; b. Dunn Co, Wis. Was called "Uncle Seraphine". Married Clara Gunter, who was part Native American Indian, on 4 Jun 1886 in Menomonie, Dunn Co, Wis. Those present at marriage, Florence Burgert and Henry Hall.
ii. FLORENCE EFFIE BURGERT, b. 18 Oct 1866, Menomonie, Dunn Co, Wis; m. WILLIAM CONWAY, 31 Oct 1888, Menomonie, Dunn Co, Wis.
iii. HENRY MILTON BURGERT, b. 18 Sep 1869, Ind; d. 05 Oct 1869, Ind. Named after Charlotte's brother, Henry Milton Hall.
iv. ADAM DANIEL BURGERT, b. 18 May 1872, Dunn Co, Wis; d. 01 Sep 1938, Mpls, Henn Co, MN; m. (1) LAURA CORDELIA WHEELER, 12 Nov 1898, Knapp, Dunn Co, Wis; b. 25 Mar 1872, Dunn Co, Wis; d. 11 Jan 1917, Mpls, Henn Co, MN; m. (2) EDITH LARSON, 01 Aug 1923; b. 21 May 1899; d. 27 May 1965. He was a streetcar conductor. Laura was a schoolteacher. Burial: Mpls, MN, Crystal Lake Cemetery Laura's death certificate shows they had been in Minnesota for 18 years.
10. MARTHA JANE HALL was born 29 Jan 1847 in Ravenna, Portage Co, Ohio, and died 04 Nov 1927 in Menomonie, Dunn Co, Wis. She married ABRAHAM S. BURGERT 14 Dec 1865 in Menomonie, Dunn Co, Wis. He was born 30 Apr 1846 in Paris, Stark Co, Ohio, and died 07 Jun 1910 in Menomonie, Dunn Co, Wis. Martha, sister of Charlotte, married the brother of Charlotte's husband, Adam Burgert. Burial: 08 Nov 1927, Evergreen Cemetery, Menomonie, WI. Abraham married Martha Hall, the sister of his brother Adam's wife, on 14 Dec, 1865, in Menomonie, Wis. Some info taken from the 1880 Dunn Co., Menomonie, Wis. Census. There is a wealth of information on Abraham's Volunteer Enlistment papers for service in the army during the Civil War, which also included his request for pension for deafness in one ear caused during the siege of Atlanta, Georgia in July and August of 1864. He states that he returned to his father's home in July 1865, after his discharge, and in Sept 1865 moved to Menomonie, Wis. to his brother Adam's home. His brother, Adam, taught him the trade of Carpentry, which became his profession. Abraham must have know Martha Hall before he moved to Wis. because they where married only 3 months after he arrived there. The Hall family had lived in Indiana before moving to Menomonie, and their last 2 children where born there. It is very likely that it was the same county as the Burgert's. Abraham died of a Cerebral Hemorrhage. Martha died of Bronchial pneumonia after being bedridden and helpless from a stroke in 1922.
1.) 1905 Dunn Co Census. 2.) Dunn Co News, (10-31-1907). 3.) Stout University, info gathered on 28 Jul 1993, Genealogy Research Department; Dunn County records found on microfilm.
John Shively b. January 29, 1800 in West Buffalo, Northumberland Co., PA d. Sept. 17, 1873 in Miami Co., Indiana married Margaret (Risinger?) (1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
i. James Shively b. 1833 m. Catherine J. Glaze on May 2, 1853 in Miami Co., IN (9)
ii. Mary J. Shively b. December 8, 1836 in Clear Creek, Ashland Co., Ohio d. March 18, 1865 in Miami Co., Indiana
iii. Adeline Shively b. Feb. 25, 1838 in Clear Creek, OH d. March 28, 1896 in Rose Lake, Osceola Co., MI m. Orville Collins/Myers (9)
iv. Eliza Shively b. 1840 m. Hezekiah Crull on February 2, 1857 in Miami Co., Indiana (9)
v. Catherine Shively b. 1842
vi. Obediah Shively b. 1845 m. Emma A. Hart on December 24, 1863 in Miami Co., Indiana (9)
John was probably married before because he had two kids before James
I. Israel Shively b. about 1821 in Ohio m. Cynthia Ann Brooks on Sept. 9, 1841 in Miami Co., IN (9)
ii. Margaret Shively b. May 12, 1824 in Ashland Co., Ohio d. Dec. 9, 1888 in Galveston, Cass Co., IN m. Daniel Kling in June 1842 in Ashland Co., Ohio (9)
1. 1830 Census Report for John Shively and Family for Clear Creek, Richland Co., Ohio, p. 109 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1
2. 1840 Census Report for John Shively and Family for Clear Creek, Richland Co., Ohio, p. 105 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 3 1 0 1 0 0 1
3. 1850 Census Report for John Shively and Family in Clear Creek, Ashland Co., Ohio 29/29 17 Sept.
John Shiveley 51 PA Farmer
Margaret 48 PA
James 17 OH Farmer
Mary J. 14 OH
Adeline 12 OH
Eliza 10 OH
Catherine 8 OH
Obediah 5 OH
Daniel Bisinger 24 PA Farmer
NEXT DOOR 30/30
Israel Shiveley 30 M Thresher PA
Cynthia 26 F OH
Philip 8 M OH
Alfred 6 M OH
Margaret 3 F OH
John 2 M OH
4. 1860 Census Report for John Shively and Family in Clay, Miami Co., Indiana for John Shively and Family 27 June 633/608
John Shively 62 PA
Margaret 61 PA
Mary J. 24 OH
Catherine 17 OH
Obediah 15 OH
John Moorehead 38 OH (Doctor)
5. 1870 Census Report for John Shively and Margaret for Clay, Miami Co., Indiana 137/130
John Shively 74 PA Cannot Read or Write 4000/600
Margaret 72 PA Cannot Read or Write
6. Personal Researchers: Susan K. McMahan
7. Shively, Larry, editor, Shively Newsletter, Issue #38, Feb. 1999, pp. 1-2.
8. www.rootsweb.com/~inmiami/chittick.html (Chittick Cemetery Website) Chittick Cemetery is located in Deer Creek, Miami Co., IN
Shiveley Emma A. 1848-1893
Shiveley Margaret E. 27 December 1887 age 85 y 10m 27d; wife of John
Shiveley Obediah A. 1845-no death date cut
Shiveley Etty Mae 1867-1875
Shiveley Florence 1874-1875
Shiveley Mary J. 8 December 1836 - 18 March 1865; age 28y 3m 10d; daughter of J & M.E.
Shiveley Philip 1865-sunken marker
Shiveley Synthia A. 11 January 1824 - 11 May 1890
Shiveley John 17 September 1873 age 73y 7m 20d
9. Family Files of Jan (She researched the Family of John and Margaret Shively).
The Shively Newsletter Issue No. 38, February 1999, Are Your Ancestors John Shively and Margaret?
When doing Shively family research it seems that every line has a John Shively. Usually if researching John Shively’s in a localized area the wives do not have the same first name. The researcher then can differentiate the John Shively and wife by deed records, marriage records, or other paper trails. In researching a couple of the John Shively’s who moved from Ohio to Indiana it is complicated because each John Shively chose a wife by the first name of Margaret. The purpose of this article is to present some of the facts to assist those who may be working on a Shively line which descends from a union between John Shively and Margaret.
On the 1850 Ashland County, OH
Clear Creek Township
John Shiveley 51 PA
Margaret 48 PA
James 17 OH
Mary J. 14 OH
Adeline 12 OH
Eliza 10 OH
Catherine 8 OH
Obediah 5 OH
Daniel Bisinger 24 PA
1860 Miami County, IN
John Shively 62 PA
Margaret 61 PA
Mary J. 24 OH
Catherine 17 OH
Obediah 15 OH
John Moorehead 38 OH (Doctor)
1870 Miami County, IN
John Shively 74 PA
Margaret 72 PA
A marriage record has not been found to confirm the maiden name of this Margaret who married John Shively. From research by other Shively researchers it is believed that this John Shively is a son of Conrad Shively who married Mary Moyer. Two children of John and Margaret who were already married by 1850 include Israel Shively who married Cynthia Brooks on 9-Sep-1841 (Richland Co., OH Marriage Book 4, Page 55) and Margaret Shively who married Daniel Kling in June-1842. Remember that Ashland County, Ohio was formed in 1846 from Richland, Huron, Lorain, and Wayne Counties. From Richland County were formed the townships of Clear Creek, Mifflin, and Milton.
On the 1850 Stark County census in Osnaburg Township is listed a John Shively born ca. 1794, and his wife Margaret born ca. 1801. This John and Margaret are found in St. Joseph County, IND, Union Township, on the 1860 Census.
1850 Stark County, OH
John Shively 56 PA
Margaret 49 MD
Susanna 19 OH
John 17 OH
Jesse 15 OH
Maria 14 OH
Samuel 11 OH
? Henry or Hannah
Reuben 7 OH
William 1 OH
1860 St. Joseph County, IND
John Shively 65 PA
Margaret 69 MD
? Henry or Hannah
William 11 OH
Following this article are marriage records from Stark Co., Ohio. From these records we find a John Shively who married Margaret Myers on 24-May-1825. Also following is a biography on Dr. Samuel S. Shively who claims he is a son of John Shively and Margaret Myers. Note that from this information it states “that John Shively, the father of our subject, followed agricultural pursuits all his life, and died in 1866. The mother had died the year previous”. This information is consistent with the census information. On Page 5 of the February 1991 issue of the Shively Newsletter is a family group sheet which lists John Shively, who married Margaret Myers, as a son of Jacob Shively and Barbara Thomas. This family group sheet has been reproduced for this article.
Another John Shively and Margaret are found in 1860 Stark County, Ohio. This John and Margaret are age 38 and 27 and John is listed as born in Swabia and Margaret in “Hess”. By 1860 the first two John and Margaret Shively’s discussed in this article have moved from Ohio to Indiana.
Shively Website: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9517/Genealogy.html (Prepared by Marilyn Georgeson)
8972-C Winter Gardens Blvd.
Lakeside, CA 92040-4944
Note: John Shively (Father of Conrad Shively) was a Revolutionary Soldier on the roll of the 3rd Vacant Company as a private in the German Regiment of the Continental Forces commanded by Lt. Col. Lewis Weltner 1 May 1778. In 1781, John Shively was carried off by Native Americans during a raid and never returned (Linn’s Annals of Buffalo Valley, pg. 199).