|Posted By:||Nathan Knight|
|Subject:||KEATHLEY in Louisiana; WHITFIELD connect|
|Post Date:||April 25, 2001 at 06:12:31|
|Forum:||Keathley Family Genealogy Forum|
In Jan. 1929, my g-g grand aunt Nannie Watkins Collier (1867-1948) wrote the following: "Vines Lucas Collier Sr. [1786-1872] married Sarah Keithly [1799-1855], daughter of Bryant Keithly and Susan Whitfield Keithly. Their other children were Susan, Elizabeth, Bryant and John. The Keithly family came from Scotland to Virginia and their descendants are scattered in North Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, and Tennessee. The Whitfield family came from London, England to Virginia. Susan Whitfield who married Bryant Keithly was one of twenty eight children. Her father was married four times and his descendants are scattered all over the country, the Whitfield, Collier, Killebrew, Fort, Johnson, Radford, Metcalfe, Yancey, and Wimberly families."
While there are a few mistakes in the above, the general history is correct. After contacting other researchers and doing some research of my own, I have come to the conclusion that the above Bryant Keithly should be John Keithley and the above Susan Whitfield should be Elizabeth Whitfield. Their was a Bryan Keithley who was the son of John and Elizabeth Keithley.
John Keithley (Keatley, Keathley, etc.) married Elizabeth Whitfield. They had the following children:
1. Hester Keithley
2. Nancy Ann Keithley
3. John Keithley
4. Sarah Keithley 1799-1855 married Vines Lucas Collier Sr. 1786-1872
5. William Whitfield Keithley 1801-
6. Susannah Keithley 1803-
7. James E. Keithley
8. Bryan Keithley 1808- married Sarah J. Butler.
9. Mary Elizabeth Keithley 1811-
The fact that my g-g grand aunt wrote that the WHITFIELD household had 28 children, the father having been married four times matches William Whitfield 1743-1817 who was the son of William Whitfield 1715-1795 and Rachel Bryan 1723-1780.
William Whitfield 1743-1817 married 1st in 1763 to Hester Williams. They had the following children:
1. William Whitfield
2. Mary Whitfield
3. Bryan Whitfield
4. Joseph Whitfield
5. Needham Whitfield
6. Lewis Whitfield
7. Elizabeth (Betsy) Whitfield married John Keathly
8. Rachel Whitfield married James (John) House and 2nd married Joseph Neville.
9. Sarah Whitfield married Thomas Collier and 2nd married Edward St. George.
10. _____ Whitfield died in infancy
11. _____ Whitfield died in infancy
12. _____ Whitfield died in infancy
William Whitfield 1743-1817 2nd married Mrs. Sarah (Oliver) Hurst. They had the following children:
13. _____ Whitfield died in infancy.
14. _____ Whitfield died in infancy.
15. _____ Whitfield died in infancy.
William Whitfield 1743-1817 3rd married in 1792 to Hephzibah Hatch. They had the following children:
16. Hatch Whitfield
17. Charles Whitfield married Hester Whitfield.
18. _____ Whitfield died in infancy
William Whitfield 1743-1817 4th married in 1795 to Sarah (Bryan) Hatch. They had the following children:
19. Lemuel Hatch Whitfield
20. Benjamin Whitfield
21. Edmund Hatch Whitfield
22. Lucy H. Whitfield 1803-1835
23. Harriet Howard Whitfield
24. Narcissa Dansey Whitfield 1807-1823
25. John Oliver Whitfield
26. Lewis Burdette Whitfield 1811-died young
27. Francis Edwin Whitfield
28. George Washington Whitfield
29. William Alexander Whitfield
So, my aunt Nannie Collier just missed it by one when she wrote that William Whitfield had 28 children.