|Posted By:||Katrina Cooper|
|Subject:||Amos H. Hill - History of Rush County, Indiana|
|Post Date:||November 26, 2003 at 15:56:53|
|Forum:||Rush County, IN Genealogy Forum|
From History of Rush County, Indiana, Brant & Fuller, 1888, pages 591-592:
Amos H. Hill, one of the prominent farmers of Ripley Township is a native of Wayne County, this State, born January 4, 1827, being the son of William and Charity (Hawkins) Hill, the former of whom was born in Randolph County, N. C., of English descent, and the latter was born near Bush Hill Church, S. C., of Welsh descent. His father was the son of Benjamin and Mary (Jessup) Hill, and his mother was the daughter of Amos and Anna (Comer) Hawkins. When he was a lad seven years old, his parents came to Rush County, and settled upon a farm in Ripley Township, near where he now resides. There his early life was spent assisting to clear and cultivate the farm. At the age of seventeen, he entered upon an apprenticeship with J. B. Hinshaw, of Knightstown, with whom he spent three years learning the blacksmith’s trade. On completing his trade, he entered the employ of Mr. Hinshaw, for whom he worked a few months, when he then set up a shop for himself in Carthage, this county. He continued to devote his entire attention to his trade in Carthage for a period of twenty-five years. In the meantime he was married to Peninnah Thornburg November 22, 1848. She was born in Randolph
County, N. C., October 24, 1826, being the daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Henley) Thornburg, both of whom were also natives of Randolph County, N. C., of English descent. Her father was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Winslow) Thornburg, and her mother was the daughter of Joseph and Peninnah (Morgan) Henley, all of whom were natives of North Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Hill continued to reside in Carthage until the spring of 1876. In the meantime he had retired from his trade in 1871, and became a partner in a drug and grocery store, to which his attention was directed about sixteen months. In 1874, he was elected by the directors President of the Carthage Turnpike Company, of which he had been a stockholder since the construction of the road before the war. In the spring of 1876, Mr. and Mrs. Hill removed to the farm they now occupy four and one-half miles northwest of Carthage, where the former has since given his whole attention to agricultural pursuits. In this connection he has already earned a rank among the prosperous farmers of his township. He owns 240 acres of land, about 185 of which is in cultivation. His farm contains an elegant brick residence, and is in other respects substantially improved. He and wife have had four children, as follows: Mary A., Leora A., William B., and Lucy S., all of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Hill and all of their children are members of the Friends Church. In politics, the former is now an ardent Prohibitionist. He is one of the industrious and substantial men of his township.