|Posted By:||Katrina Cooper|
|Subject:||Fist Consolidated School - Raleigh School|
|Post Date:||February 20, 2003 at 20:48:14|
|Forum:||Rush County, IN Genealogy Forum|
Rushville Republican, Saturday, August 31, 1968: It is a picture of the Raleigh School Marker (a large boulder with a plaque). Present at the dedication of the marker denoting the first consolidated school at Raleigh were front row, left to right Mrs. Mollie Johnson Rea, unknown, Miss Fannie Frazee, Miss Maggie Prine, Shell Crawford, Mrs. Albert McIlvaine (Clara Belle Canady), Albert McIlvaine, Mrs. Charles Rich, Mrs. George Sweet, Mrs. Ab Canady (Fannie Shawl), Ab Canady. Second row - unknown, Ortis Werking, Phoebe Popoon Mattews, Button Matthews, unknown, James Prince, Carrie Prine, Mrs. Frank Martin, Mrs. W. T. Dobbins, Rober Hall, youngest son of William S. Hall, trustee of Washington Twp where the consolidation was established in 1876.
Article by Mrs. Frank Linday:
At one time there was in the Raleigh community, a club called the Tuesday Study Club. Through the leadership of Mrs. C. L. Smullen, president of the club, a boulder was gotten from the Glenn Abernathy farm. Upon a bronze tablet, which was placed on the stone, was an inscription to the memory of William S. Hall, as follows: This marks the site of the First Consolidated School in Indiana. Established 1876 by William S. Hall, Trustee of Washington Township. "Our school was the first, make it the best." Erected by Tuesday Study Club,1927. According to the 1908 Rush County Atlas, Mr. Hall, trustee of Washington Twp., was credited with being the first school official in the United States to consolidate the schools in the township. Five schools were abandoned and there was erected at Raleigh a red brick three-room grade school building which was opened in 1877.
As time went by a four year high school came into being. The old building ws outgrown, more room was needed.
In 1906 the present building was built. The stone and the tablet was placed in the yard of this school building.
On Sunday, July 8, 1928 the marker was dedicated. Invitations had been sent out and, according to an article by Wayne Guthrie, 21 out of 22 of the members of the first graduating class of the building were there for the "gala" occasion.
Rev. W. O. Fox, a former principal of the school was the speaker for the program. A. N. Taylor, the last principal in the first building, led the singing. The marker was unveiled by June and Jean Hopper, of Indianapolis, great, great, granddaughters of trustee Hall. Rev. Edward Cain, minister of the Raleigh Christian Church, gave the invocation and benediction. The flag bearers were Wayne Bills (Mrs. Wendell Leyton) and Florence Cole (Mrs. Edward Tellas).
Now the school is closed. The building has been dismantled, for bigger and better schools. That's as Mr. Hall would have had it we're sure.
There stands the stone. Will it be left uncared for? Those who were instrumental in putting it there are either gone or unable to care for it. Will the fact that it marks the place of the first consolidation be forgotten?
Katrina Cooper - firstname.lastname@example.org