Posted By:Cathy
Subject:Re: Family of Josirus Reese
Post Date:June 03, 2006 at 21:00:22
Message URL:
Forum:Marshall County, IN Genealogy Forum
Forum URL:

Hi Linda,

I saw your post on the Marshall Co, IN board at genforum. I'm not related to your REESE family but did find the following on Perhaps you already have this but thought I'd send it anyway. Hope this helps.


Might this be your Josirus Reese in the 1860 Census?
1860 CENSUS, Putnam Co, OH, Riley Twp, Pendleton post office, enumerated 13 Aug 1860, HH#778/778
CLOSE, JAS, age 28, male, laborer, value personal estate 273, born OH
CLOSE, MARY E, age 21, female, born OH
CLOSE, DAVID T, age 2, male, born OH
REESE, JOSIAH, age 25, male, laborer, born OH

The following information was from a tree submitted by Steve Reese, to

Name: Josirus REESE
Sex: M
The following articles were copied from The Plymouth Democrat, dated
July 12, 1882.

(From our own correspondent)
Our quies little village is in a rage over the death of Josirus
Reese, a quiet, peaceable, good citizen who died of heart disease
while fighting one Mike Foley, and it was supposed that he was
murdered by Foley......Our people are still quarrelling over the Baker
ditch - the same that caused the fight between Reese and Foley,
which resulted in the death of Reese.....


Wm. Wilt and Josirus Reese, of North township, while on their way home
from Plymouth, met Robert Schroeder on the Michigan road, four miles
north of town last Saturday, about seven o'clock in the evening, when
they commenced to talk about a ditch, known as the Baker ditch. The
conversation had not continued long until Obmer Martin and Nichael
Foley of the same township, on their way home, and who are contractors
for the digging of said ditch, drove up beside them with Mr. Schroeder
standing between the buggies. Foley listened to the conversation a
short time, then commenced to use very abusive language toward Mr.
Schroeder, calling him many hard names until Mr.Reese told Foley he
should be ashamed of abusing an old man. Foley then turned his
attention toward Mr. Reese, using all the abusive language that a vile
tongue could utter, which so much offended Mr. Reese that he got out
of his buggy, went to Foley's buggy and struck him a time or two. At
this, Foley got out of his buggy, when a few blows were passed and
they clinched, and in falling, Foley fell beneath. The bystanders
seperated the men at once by pulling Reese off and Foley a little to
one side. On turning to Mr. Reese they noticed him remaining in the
same position they had left him, and on raising him up they found his
eyes staring, that respiration had ceased and the man was dead.
Foley, on being told that Reese was dead, began to lament and said,
"My God, what shall I do?" Mr. Schroeder told Foley that he was under
arrest, when he pulled himself away, ran north on Michigan road and
when a little west of the old Higby stand he was caught by Mr. Martin,
and on returning he jumped out of the buggy and threatened to shoot
Martin if he attempted to arrest him. Martin became alarmed and
returned without him. Dr. C. A. Hotzendorff, coroner, was sent for
and arriving detailed three men to take charge of the remains, to take
the deceased to his home when an inquest and post mortem would be held
on Sunday morning at nine o'clock. In accordance with previous
arrangements, the coroner, assisted by Drs. J. J. Hamilton and J. H.
Wilson, commenced the inquest and autopsy on Sunday morning.
Witnesses testified that the deceased could not have been injured in
the conflict, as the blows were light. The body showed no marks of
injury externally, but, owing to venus congestion the body was covered
with black spots. On opening the body, the lungs were found congested
to their utmost capacity, the liver larger than normal and the heart
seriously diseased, with simple dilation of the right side of the
organ, the auricle especially being three times as large as it should
be, with its walls very thin. The right side of the heart was found
filled with blood, which, on being opened showed that the muscular
fiber was pale, softened and flacid. A verdict was rendered that the
man came to his death from heart disease, the extreme anger and
violent exercise at the time of death being the immediate cause. Mr.
Reese was aged forty-seven and leaves a wife and six children.
Birth: 1835 in Ohio
Death: 10 Jul 1882

Father: Joseph REESE b: in Pennsylvania
Mother: Mary YOUNG b: in Ohio

Abbrev: "The Reese Family, 1835-1986"
Title: "All information documented by public records, newspaper articles or
family members. Information compiled by Elmer Peters and Evelyn
Marks Peters, great-great grand-daughter of Joseph and Mary Young
Author: Elmer & Evelyn Peters