|Posted By:||Michael DeLorenzo|
|Subject:||Re: MRS. Rachel Washburn 2nd husband Vincent Calvins|
|Post Date:||May 21, 2005 at 07:28:53|
|Forum:||Cass County, IN Genealogy Forum|
Not my family line, just sharing.
The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883.
page 721, Indian Creek Township, Pulaski County, Indiana.
"MOSES L. WASHBURN, one of the earliest pioneers of this township, was born in Brown County, Ohio, April 2, 1815, and is one of the eleven children of ISAAC and RACHEL (LAYCOCK) WASHBURN, natives respectively of Kentucky and Virginia, and of German descent. While yet a young man, ISAAC WASHBURN settled in the wilderness of Brown County, Ohio, where he bought and improved 117 acres of land, on which he resided until his death in 1828. He had served his country, in its war with England, from 1813 until peace was declared, and his father, GEORGE WASHBURN, served all through the Revolutionary struggle. The latter was also a comrade of DANIEL BOONE in the settlement of Kentucky. ISAAC WASHBURN, at the time of his death, was a member of the Baptist Church; his widow a member of the same church, is a resident of Star City, this county (VanBuren Township, Pulaski County, Indiana), and is in her ninety-seventh year. MOSES L. WASHBURN was educated in the pioneer schools of Ohio, and in July, 1833, moved with his mother and step-father to Cass County, Indiana. After his majority, he worked out by the month for two years, and then purchased 160 acres of wild land in Cass County, which he improved somewhat and then sold. On the 27th of June, 1838, he arrived in what is now Indian Creek Township, Pulaski County, Indiana, bought 160 acres at the land sale at La Porte the following December, and with the help of his friends and neighbors, some of whom came from as far as Logansport, put up a rude log cabin, and here he has since resided, with the exception of twelve years, from 1851 to 1864, passed in Cass County, this state. He now owns 420 acres of well-improved land. He was first married, March 23, 1837, to SUSANNA BROWN, a native of Preble County, Ohio, who bore him four children, three yet living, and died September 5, 1859, a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. His second marriage, September 11, 1860, was to MARILLA A. McGOVNEY, a native of West Union, Ohio. Four boys and three girls have blessed this union, and all are living. MR. W. once served as Justie of the Peace of Beaver Township, which then included Indian Creek; he was afterward County Commissioner for three years, and for six years Township Trustee. In politics, he is a Democrat, and both he and wife are members of the Baptist Church."