|Posted By:||Michael DeLorenzo|
|Subject:||J. D. Vurpillat b.1843 son of Joseph & Magdalene Vurpillat|
|Post Date:||February 08, 2004 at 14:11:34|
|Forum:||Cass County, IN Genealogy Forum|
Not my family line, just sharing.
The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883.
page 669, City of Winamac, Pulaski County, Indiana.
"J. D. VURPILLAT is a native of Upper Canada, born April 23, 1843. His parents, JOSEPH and MAGDALENE VURPILLAT, were natives of France, and had born to them a family of nine children, only seven of whom are now living. The family emigrated from Canada to the United States in 1850, and settled in Tippecanoe Township, Pulaski County, Indiana, where the father began working at his trade (carpentering) and farming. In 1860, they removed to Logansport, where the mother died in March, 1862, and the spring of 1864, MR. VURPILLAT and family returned to Pulaski County. The fall of that year, he went south to work at his trade for the Government, and the succeeding winter, died at Johnsonville, Tennessee. J. D. VURPILLAT received a good seminary education, and the greater part of his life has been passed in Pulaski County. When quite a young man, he became a merchant of Winamac, first in partnership with L. HOFFMAN, in the hardware and grocery trade, but since January, 1872, he has conducted this business entirely alone. With commendable energy and enterprise he erected his fine brick business block on the corner of Main and Monticello streets in 1882, and is one of the finest buildings in the county. It is a three story structure, 46 X 90 feet, in the upper story of which is VURPILLAT HALL, while the second floor is devoted to offices. On the first floor in the corner front is situated the Citizens' Bank of Winamac, while MR. VURPILLAT's large stock of hardware and groceries extends clear around the bank and fronts on both streets. The owner is a Democrat and a member of the Roman Catholic Church. In August, 1866, he was united in marriage with MISS MARY CALEY, and to them have been born five children - FRANCIS J., AARON P., CHARLEY A., ANNIE E. and MAGDALENE."