|Posted By:||James P. LaLone|
|Subject:||Re: GODFROY -- Wea / Miami Indians|
|Post Date:||September 28, 2001 at 20:22:21|
|Forum:||Godfroy Family Genealogy Forum|
This is what I have on the family - additions/corrections appreciated, thanks, Jim.
1. Jacques/Jobiel GODFROY m. unknown. Aka Shocco. unknown: Piqua Miami, poss. d/o O-Sandiah.
2. i Francis b. Mar 1788.
3. ii Louis b. 1785.
iii _____ GODFROY m. Mac-Quaw-Ko-Naung-Gaw.
2. Francis GODFREY b. Mar 1788, Ft. Wayne (nr), IN, occupation Miami war chief, m. Hannah/Soc-A-Jag-Wa. Francis died 1 May 1840. Wife also given as Jane SLOCUM wife of Peter BONDY. Aka Palonzwa(h)/Polozwah. Hannah/Soc-A-Jag-Wa: Aka Angelique?
4. i James Razidan b. c. 1810.
5. ii William b. c. 1820/3.
6. iii Gabriel b. 1 Jan 1834.
7. iv Mary/Mah-Ohing-Go-Mi-Shia b. c. 1838.
v Frances GODFROY b. c. 1834/8. Aka Mazequah.
3. Louis GODFROY b. 1785, m. To-cin-quah. Louis died c. 1832. Aka Winso.
i Mama-see-cha b. 1808, GODFROY.
8. ii Louis(on).
iii Met-a-cin-eah GODFROY.
iv Wa-pe-ke-ke-quah GODFROY.
v Shoc-o-ta-quah GODFROY.
vi Pattice GODFROY.
9. vii Shocco.
viii Tel-la-ci GODFROY m. Mongosa.
ix Wa-pe-won-wuah GODFROY b. 1828.
4. James Razidan GODFREY b. c. 1810, m. 21 Oct 1841, in Allen Co. IN, Archangel OESEW/ENGALMAN, b. 1835, (daughter of Oesew and LaBlonde RICHARDVILLE) d. 5 Mar 1885. James died 21 Jul 1894. Archangel: Aka Mon-Go-Se-Quah/Mon-Go-Za-Qua.
i James GODFREY.
10. ii Mary Frances b. c. 1842.
11. iii Louise b. c. 1847.
12. iv John b. c. 1849.
v George GODFREY b. c. 1851. Aka Kau-gope-ah.
vi Annie GODFREY b. c. 1857, m. (1) William STUCK, m. (2) Frank AVELINE, (son of James AVELINE and Ko-a-aha-was).
5. William GODFROY b. c. 1820/3, m. (1) Wan-Pe-Nung-E-Qua, b. c. 1824, m. (2) Louisa _____, d. 23 Sept 1880. William died 19 Jul 1911, Allen Twp., Miami Co., IN. Aka She-Gua-Ah/She-Qua-Ah. Louisa: Aka Mum-go-za-quah (same as first wife?).
Children by Wan-Pe-Nung-E-Qua:
i William/Wan-Co-Pe-Ce-Ah GODFROY b. c. 1858.
ii Isabell GODFROY b. c. 1862, m. Judson Cary BONDY/BUNDY/BUNDET, b. 14 Feb 1856, Reserve, IN., (son of Peter/Pierre BONDY and Jane SLOCUM). Judson: Aka Re-Poc-E-Cap-Wah.
iii George GODFROY b. c. 1863. Aka She-pah-con-wah.
iv Rosann GODFROY b. c. 1869. Aka Max-on-ge-quah.
6. Gabriel GODFROY b. 1 Jan 1834, Blackford Co., IN, m. (1) Elizabeth SLOCUM, b. 25 Sept 1836, (daughter of Wopshing-Qua and Frances SLOCUM) d. 28 Oct 1879, m. (2) unknown, m. (3) Jennie LOGAN. Gabriel died 14 Aug 1910, Butler Twp./Peru, IN. Aka Coppeway/Wah-pah-nah-ki-kah (White Blossom). Elizabeth: Aka Kenozah-quah. She seems to also be perhaps identified as Elizabeth GODFROY d/o Wap-Shin-Gah & Julia SLOCUM??? Aka Ki-no-suck-qua/Ko-No-Doc-Quah (1859 list) Aka Young Panther.
Children by Elizabeth SLOCUM:
13. i Peter b. 1858.
ii Joseph GODFROY d. @17. Unsure of mother.
iii Judson GODFROY d. infancy. Unsure of mother.
iv Sara Joanna GODFROY b. c. 1872, d. 11 May 1881. Unsure of mother.
v _____ GODFROY. Unsure of mother.
Children by unknown:
14. vi Francis/Frank(lin) b. c. 1862.
Children by Jennie LOGAN:
vii James GODFROY b. 27 Jun 1881, Peru, Miami Co., IN, m. 23 Sept 1912, in Huntington, IN, Esther WEBBER, b. 31 May 1890, Huntington, IN, (daughter of Peter WEBBER and Esther _____). James died 22 Jun 1958.
viii Gabriel GODFROY Jr..
ix Goldie GODFROY m. Harry CLARK.
x Katherine GODFROY m. Walter WHITTED.
xi Lillian GODFROY d. @ 18.
xii Bessie GODFROY. Blind, single.
xiii Irene GODFROY.
xiv Swan GODFROY m. James HUNTER.
xv George Durand GODFROY d. @ 37. Single.
xvi Cora May GODFROY d. @ 3yrs.
7. Mary/Mah-Ohing-Go-Mi-Shia GODFROY b. c. 1838, m. _____ KISMAN. Aka Na-shing-go-me-sah.
15. i Louisa b. c. 1858.
ii George KISMAN b. c. 1860. Aka So-wel-en-ge-seh.
iii Lizzie KISMAN b. c. 1864. Aka Kin-no-zah.
8. Louis(on) GODFROY m. Jane SLOCUM, b. c. 1809/10, (daughter of Shepoconah and Frances SLOCUM) d. 25 Jan 1877, Wabash Co., IN. Is he actually the first husband Tah-Co-Nah? Aka Bo-qua/Po-qua Jane: Aka O-Zah-Shin-Quah"Yellow Leaf".
16. i Eliza/Ke-Pe-Pi-Ma-Mo-Quah b. c. 1830.
ii Frances GODFROY b. c. 1833, m. William Wilson PEKONGA/PECONGA. Aka Wa-pu-noc-she-no-qua/Blue Corn. William: Aka WILSON.
9. Shocco GODFROY m. Masongequa.
i Catherine GODFROY.
10. Mary Frances GODFREY b. c. 1842, m. Charles F. STUCK/STROCH. Aka Saw-Ka-Cha-Qua/Saw-ka-cho-quah.
i Mary Frances STRACK/STROCH b. c. 1861, m. _____ HOLZWORTH. Mary died 13 May 1909. Aka Dutchie/Wah-pe-mang/mung-quah.
ii George STRACK b. c. 1862. Aka Dick/Kel-e-com-e-ke-oh.
iii Irwin STRACK b. c. 1864, m. Maria COSST. Aka Pat/Lil/Kil-soh/son-zah.
iv Elizabeth STRACK b. c. 1866, m. Jesse McCLAREN. Elizabeth died 23 Jun 1906. Aka Mun-go-ze/zi-quoh.
v James L. STRACK b. c. 1868, m. Elizabeth SMITH. James died Nov 1942. Aka Waw-zaw/zam-pe-aw/am.
vi Charles R. STRACK b. c. 1870, m. Maude AMON. Charles died 29 Feb 1920. Aka Kik-kong-dau-gah/Keek-kong-dam-goh.
vii Florentina STRACK/STRACH b. c. 1876, m. Joseph HALL. Aka Chi-co/ca-zah.
11. Louise GODFREY b. c. 1847, m. divorced, William CASS, b. c. 1843. Aka Pin-ge-she-no-qua/Pung-ah-shin-e-quah. William: Aka William Cass RICHARDVILLE/Me-she-ke-no-quah. He may have 2m. to Angele REVARD. Aka She-ke-nac-woh.
i Louise CASS b. c. 1873. Aka Tah-cum-wah.
ii Mary Celeste CASS b. c. 1875. Single. Aka Cop-pash-e-na-quah.
iii Ella(n) CASS b. c. 1877. Single. Aka Chic-co-zah.
iv Jacob CASS b. c. 1879.
v Albert CASS b. c. 1881.
vi Willie CASS b. c. 1884.
12. John GODFREY b. c. 1849, m. Mary HARTMAN, (daughter of John HARTMAN and unknown). Aka San-kok-qua/Soh-ca-quoh/Saw-kok-qua.
i Esther GODFREY b. c. 1871, m. (1) _____ CALLAHAN, m. (2) Roy SMITH. Aka Kil-no-quit-tah. Roy: Res: Chicago, IL.
ii John GODFREY Jr. b. c. 1880. Aka Woh-pe-mun-woh/Wah-pe-mum-wah. Res: Ft. Wayne, IN.
iii Laura GODFREY b. c. 1882, m. William ROWE. William: Res: OH.
iv Mary/May GODFREY b. c. 1886, m. Benjamin RENSMAN. Benjamin: Res: Peru, IN.
v Frank GODFREY b. c. 1889.
13. Peter GODFROY b. 1858, m. 8 Dec 1879, in Miami Co., IN, Louisa AVALINE, b. 1860, (daughter of James AVELINE and Ko-a-aha-was) d. 1924. Peter died 1928. Aka Wap-Sing (Grass Fire). Louisa: Aka Shin-go-quah (Bright Shining Leaves).
i James Clarence GODFROY b. 1880, m. Mary CLARK. James died 1962. Aka Kapahpwah/Looking Out Over-Vision.
ii Gabriel GODFROY b. 1882, d. 1890.
17. iii Elizabeth b. 1883.
iv John GODFROY b. 1884, d. 1890.
v Ira Sylvester GODFROY b. 1885, d. 1961.
vi Viola GODFROY b. 1891, m. Ard WILLIAMS. Viola died 1922.
vii Eva Louise GODFROY b. 1893, m. Leo BOSSLEY.
viii Lawrence GODFROY b. 20 Oct 1895.
ix Oliver GODFROY b. 24 Dec 1897.
14. Francis/Frank(lin) GODFROY b. c. 1862, m. Mat. DAFFORD.
i Myrtle GODFROY.
ii Pauline GODFROY.
iii Joseph GODFROY.
iv Harold GODFROY.
15. Louisa KISMAN b. c. 1858, m. _____ PETTY. Aka Wap-e-mung-e-quah.
i Edith L. PETTY b. Apr 1880. Aka Chi-co-ze-quah.
ii Abby M. PETTY b. c. 1883.
iii Charles V. PETTY b. c. 1885.
16. Eliza/Ke-Pe-Pi-Ma-Mo-Quah GODFROY b. c. 1830, m. (1) Thomas CAINE, m. (2) John Baptiste BROUILLETTE, b. c. 1792/8, IN, (son of Michel BROUILLETTE and unknown) occupation Cpt., farmer, d. 17 Jun 1867. Aka Corn Tassel. John: Aka Te-Qua-Ke-Au/To-quoc-yah/Fall of the Year/Tahquakeah.
Tahquakeah lived in a nebulous place between cultures. Born 1796, his father was Michel Brouillette [brew-YEHT], a French trader from Vincennes. His mother was of the Miami nation. Tahquakea was born on the prairies north of Terre Haute. Tahquakeah was known by several names, a testimony to his place between cultures. His Miami name, Tahquakeah, means Autumn. His French name was Jean Baptiste Brouillette, or J.B. Brouillette. He was also known as Captain Brouillette. Captain was not an actual military title but a label applied by white people denoting respect. He was also known as Brewet and Bouriet, anglicizations of his French name. Tahquakeah was not alone in his place between cultures, there were numerous others. The children of inter-racial marriages and unions were called metis [meh-TEE] by the French. Their knowledge of disparate languages and familiarity with customs of Europeans, colonials and Native Americans allowed them to span a cultural bridge. Their skills and knowledge often thrust them into mediation between two worlds.
Tahquakeah married Kekenakushwa, or Cut Finger, the eldest daughter of Frances Slocum. Frances Slocum, known as Maconaquah to the Miami, was a well-known white captive of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. She had been captured at the age of five. After two marriages and having a family, Frances was discovered by her Quaker family in 1837. She was 64 years old, and had long forgotten her English tongue. She and her family lived in a double log cabin on the Mississinewa River.
Children by John Baptiste BROUILLETTE:
i On-Zan-Ze-Mon-Quah BROUILLETTE b. c. 1852.
18. ii Nancy b. 1856.
17. Elizabeth GODFROY b. 1883, m. Frank COINER. Elizabeth died 1960.
19. i Mary Catherine b. 1917.
ii Louise COINER b. 1919.
18. Nancy BROUILLETTE b. 1856, m. (1) 4 Apr 1872, in Wabash Co., IN, James MONGOSA, m. (2) 22 Nov 1878, in Wabash Co., IN, John BUNDY/BONDY. Nancy died 15 Jun 1913. Same as other child? Aka Wahpenochshenequa.
Children by James MONGOSA:
i Julius MONGOSA b. 1876, d. 1930.
Children by John BUNDY/BONDY:
ii John Ross BUNDY b. 1879, d. 1963.
iii Samuel BUNDY b. 1882, d. 1964.
iv Pearl BUNDY b. 1890, m. John PLOTNER. Pearl died 1954.
19. Mary Catherine COINER b. 1917, m. Paul HUSTON.
i Kay HUSTON b. 1939, m. William COLEMAN.
ii Patricia HUSTON b. 1942, m. _____ SWORNSON.
iii Mary Louise HUSTON b. 1943, m. _____ PLUM.
iv Carol Ann HUSTON b. 1946.
v Barbara HUSTON b. 1951.