|Posted By:||Lisa Garrett|
|Subject:||Re: Kentucky & Callaway Co MO|
|Post Date:||August 26, 2013 at 14:10:10|
|Forum:||George Family Genealogy Forum|
This is an old post, but thought I would respond in case anyone else is researching these two George families. Pleasant George is not a son of James George and Elizabeth Robertson referred to in earlier posts on this thread; he is a son of James George and Nancy Rutherford (both born in Virginia). Both James George families were in the Lincoln County/Garrard County areas at the same time and were contemporaries. These two James Georges were probably related to each other, but I do not know how as the age difference is not enough to be father and son – possibly uncle/nephew or cousins.
James and Nancy married in Garrard County, Kentucky 29Jul1811. James wrote a will in 1857 that named 13 children. They are:
1. William H. George (1812-1875) m. Mary Anderson 26Sep1837 in Garrard County. Moved to Pendleton County, KY by 1860.
2. James H. George (1813-?) m. Jane Hinkle 31May1835 in Lincoln County, Kentucky. Living in Lincoln County near brother Robert in 1840. I have not found them after this, but he was certainly alive when his father wrote his will in 1857.
3. Robert W. George (1815-1898) m. Elizabeth Anderson 14Jan1837 in Lincoln County, Kentucky. Moved to Christian County, Illinois by 1860.
4. Charlotte George (1817-1885) never married. Lived with her mother and also younger brother Ansel.
5. Amanda A. George (1820-1878) m. Anthony Hinkle 25Jun1841 in Garrard County, Kentucky. Moved to Conway County, Arkansas by 1850 then Faulkner County, Arkansas. James H. George served as bondsman for their marriage.
6. Fleming George (1822 - ?) Not found after 1860 census of Pulaski County, Kentucky. Possibly died in the Civil War. No record of a marriage.
7. Nancy George (1824-bef. 1870) m. Rodden G. Ferrell 02Feb1853 in Pulaski County, KY. By 1870, Rodden/Rodney is living in Rockcastle County, KY and is remarried.
8. Elizabeth George (1829-?) m. Joseph Ferrell 19Sep1850 in Garrard County, KY. Moved to Pulaski County by 1860. Probably died between 1870-1880.
9. Pleasant George (1828-1911) m. Nancy Rogers Lived in Pulaski County, KY.
10. Martha Ann George (1832-aft. 1880) Appears to have never married, unless after 1880 by which time she had moved to McLean County, Illinois.
11. Ansel George (1833-1914) m. Mary Ramsey 08Sep1858 in Garrard County, KY. Remained in Garrard County most of his life, until 1910 when he can be found living with his daughter-in-law Eliza George who is living with her mother in Sullivan County, Tennessee. All three are widowed.
12. Sarah Jane George (1836-1912) m. Charles W. Dawes 18Mar1862 in Garrard County, KY. Moved to McLean County, Illinois by 1880 and then to Sangamon County, Illinois.
13. Mary George (1842-1925/8) m. William M. Ferrell 10Dec1863 in Pulaski County, KY, where she remained her entire life.
Based on the amount of repetition of names between the two families, including those that aren’t as common (Fleming and Charlotte), I think it is highly likely that these two families are related in some way. I find it interesting that your information has the middle initial H for Pleasant, as two of his brothers also have the same middle initial. Could this mean something or just be coincidence? I am primarily interested in the George siblings who married Hinkle siblings. Happy to share information with anyone who is interested.