|Posted By:||James Reidford|
|Post Date:||December 23, 2011 at 10:45:24|
|Forum:||Generations Software Forum|
Ive noticed that there are a few posts on here regarding problems with the Index. I only found them because I had a similar problem. After about a months work I managed to recreate my family file. It only took a couple days and probably about 50 attempts to get the data out of the corrupt file and then another 3 weeks to sort out my Access database which I use to hold all the BMD and census data. The database uses the Person ID in Generations as a reference and after the rescue operation on Generations I ended up with most of the people in the Generations file having new person IDs
The major point of this post however is to warn people to examine their backup strategy. If you have a corrupt file you won't notice that it is corrupt until you either try to work in that particular area or try to rebuild the index.
My backup strategy was to backup the file automatically when I closed the Access database as I tend to have them both open at the same time, the result was that at some stage I overwrote the good file with the corrupt file
I now use an automated script which backs up the file before I open it and then backs it up again when I close it
Before I close the file I validate the index and then I know I'm backing up a good file. If the index doesn't validate all I have lost is the work done since I opened the file as I have a known good backup to go back to.
Now you may not need all the bells and whistles, maybe you only backup once a week, but before you do a backup, save a copy of the file or even do an export to GEDCOM rebuild the index it could save you a lot of grief.
I have to say that I've been using Generations for over 10 years and I've only really started hitting problems since moving first to XP (Disappearing data, etc and the solution on the TWR site does work although it takes a bit of time to work through it) and then to Windows 7. I realised before I moved to Win7 that I might have problems ( a few programs have had to be left on the old XP machine) but I can't say for sure that it is Win 7 that caused the corruption. I suspect that it may be down to what most of us do and that is to ignore the simple maintenance task of rebuilding the index. I did notice when I managed to open the corrupt file that there seemed to be a lot of 'holes' in the index and in some cases these holes will crash the program or will not allow themselves to be deleted
If any one is having serious problems with a file e-mail me and I'll see if I can help. No promises but after the last month I'd hate to see someone going through that.
A final word of warning, if you do get a corrupt file before attempting to open a backup make a copy of the backup file, the backup file may be corrupt!!
If you want to bypass the Index rebuild when opening a file
right-click on the file then hold down the CTRL key and select 'Open'
I hope this if some help to people