|Posted By:||Robert D. Calkins|
|Subject:||Re: Senator John Chafee|
|Post Date:||July 08, 2002 at 06:55:51|
|Forum:||Chaffee Family Genealogy Forum|
I know that I'm responding to a years-old posting, but I can't help myself. My first cousin grew up with Lincoln D. Chafee back when his father, Sen. John Chafee, was Gov. of RI. (Lincoln is now a Senator in his father's seat) The following is the result of my research into Sen. John Chafee's family from back then, back before I was very good at this genealogy stuff. (This is from a chart I put together - the details and sources are buried somewhere, I haven't looked at it in a quite a while.) Sen. Chafee has two descents from Thomas Chaffee, through sons Nathaniel & Joseph.
1. Thomas Chaffee
2. Nathaniel Chaffee, marr. Experience Bliss
3. Thomas Chaffee, marr. Margaret Carpenter
4. Thomas Chaffee (Jr.), marr. Rebecca Hunt
5. Amos Chafee, marr. Sarah Munro
6. Zechariah Chafee, marr. Mary Eddy
7. Zechariah Chafee (Jr.), marr. Mary Frances Buffington
8. Zechariah Chafee (III), marr. Mary Dexter Sharpe
9. John Sharpe Chafee, marr. Janet Malise Hunter
10. John L. Hubbard Chafee, marr. Virginia Coates
1. Thomas Chaffee
2. Joseph Chaffee, marr. Annis Martin
3. John Chaffee, marr. Sarah Hills
4. Ebenezer Chaffee, marr. Sarah Adams
5. Samuel Chaffee, marr. Azubah Sanger
6. Sally Adams Chaffee, marr. Wilkes Sharpe
7. Lucian Sharpe, marr. Louisa Dexter
8. Mary Dexter Sharpe, marr. Zechariah Chafee (III)
[My cousin and I are related to the Senator, since we're both descended from a brother of Experience (Bliss) Chaffee]
I believe that the Chaffee genealogy I looked at gives the main line down to Sen. Chafee's father. The index of the Providence, RI, vital records (at the RI Historical Society) gives the line from his father to him.
I believe Sen. Chafee's great grandfather (his mother's maternal grandfather), Henry Frederick Lippitt, was also Gov. of RI. Another great grandfather, Lucian Sharpe, I believe was one of the founders of Brown & Sharpe, in Providence, RI, where my father worked as a toolmaker when I was young. According to my chart, Sen. Chafee was a descendant in various lines of the Arnold, Eddy, Greene, Knowles, Lippitt, Perry, Rhodes, Sabin, Spink, Sweet, Waterman, Whipple, Wickes and Williams families of RI. In fact he was a direct descendant of Roger Williams, the founder of RI.
I met him many times as a kid, and he was indeed a good, kind man.