|Posted By:||Stuart Collidge|
|Subject:||Re: Seeking Joseph Collidge|
|Post Date:||July 01, 2011 at 23:05:17|
|Forum:||Tasmania, Australia Genealogy Forum|
Possibly it has, but not by me and not that a search for COllidge in this forum revealed.
I had seen the trove article before, it's the only link to parentage that I have for Mary at this point.
There's a few things that are confusing here.
* Joseph is born in 1807 (deduced from age of transportation and convict records), which means that he fathered George age 76, not bad for a pre-viagra age.
* The newspaper death for Alfred Collidge (child of Joseph and Mary) list him as the youngest Collidge, but he was born in 1879
* There's a formal request for marriage for Joseph and Mary Kemp, but no such request (or maybe just no record) for Joseph and Mary Kearney
* There are trove articles a-plenty for the other 5 children of Joseph and Mary Kearney, but no such info on George.
* I can't find any listing for a divorce between Joseph and Mary Kemp, nor a death for Mary.
I'm wondering whether maybe Mary is George's mother, but the real father was someone else . . .
By all accounts, Joseph liked to get around. He was married with a child at the time of conviction, which was for rape of a 17yr old, married Mary Kemp (with no record of children), and then Mary (when she was 23 and he was 60!) to which he seems to have had 7 children that I can find evidence of.