|Subject:||Re: railway to Toowoomba|
|Post Date:||March 07, 2010 at 01:53:51|
|Forum:||Queensland, Australia Genealogy Forum|
Toowoomba was officially declared a municipality in 1860, became a town in 1887 and was declared a city in 1904.
In the 1860s the town expanded rapidly and quickly outstripped the smaller Drayton. It was during this period that the railway reached Toowoomba (1867 - it did not reach Drayton until 1915), a branch of the Bank of New South Wales was opened, the gaol and Court House were built, and the School of Arts and numerous churches were built.
It was during the latter part of the nineteenth century after the arrival of the railway in 1867 (the Railway Station was built in 1874) that the town blossomed with large numbers of elegant Victorian buildings being erected and the trees, which are such a distinctive part of the city's appearance, being planted.
Hope this helps