Richard - I just noticed your posting. I hope the following information is of some value to you. William and Lydia Carter were my husband's ggg-grandparents.
THE LINSDALE CARTERS
POLK COUNTY, TENNESSEE
(FIRST KNOWN ORIGIN OF THIS LINE: 1813 – KENTUCKY)
WILLIAM A.D. CARTER WAS THE FATHER OF DAVID FRANKLIN CARTER
DAVID FRANKLIN CARTER WAS THE FATHER OF SAMUEL MONROE CARTER
SAMUEL MONROE CARTER WAS THE FATHER OF ANDREW FRANKLIN CARTER
ANDREW FRANKLIN CARTER WAS THE FATHER OF OLA MAE CARTER GREEN
OLA MAE CARTER GREEN WAS THE MOTHER OF ROBERT KEITH GREEN
I. William A. D. Carter, born in 1813 in Kentucky. On July 8, 1841, in Monroe County, Tennessee, he married LYDIA (“Sally”) KINSER. Sally was born in 1823 in Tennessee. Sally’s father was JOHN W. KINSER, Sr., born February 24, 1793. Sally’s mother was SUSANNA MERCER MESSEMORE, born on December 10, 1793. Susanna’s father was Michael Messemore, her mother was MARY UNKNOWN.
A. David F. (Franklin?) Carter, born in 1843 in Polk County, Tennessee. He died in 1890 in Polk County, Tennessee. His wife was NANCY CALHOUN.
I believe David’s middle name to be Franklin – mainly because his grandson’s name was Andrew FRANKLIN Carter. This information from Andrew’s brother, Albert. According to Albert Carter, David F. Carter's grandson, his grandfather David died in an insane asylum in Polk County, Tennessee, believing that he was King David from the Bible. David and Nancy had the following children:
4. Samuel Monroe Carter, born in 1865, presumably in Polk County, Tennessee. He died in 1944 and is buried in Donelton Cemetery in Lone Oak, Texas. He was married to ADA UNKNOWN. Ada was born in 1874 and died in 1934. They were married in 1889. Sam and Ada had the following children:
a. John Luther (“Luther”) Carter, born May 11, 1895, died on March 23, 1960. He was married to ROSEY LYNCH, who was born on January 6, 1897. Rosey died on August 13, 1974. They are both buried in the Donelton Cemetery in Lone Oak, Texas. They had the following children:
(1) Beulah Mae Carter KEY, married BENNIE J. KEY (“Buddy”). Buddy was born on July 18, 1921, and died October 15, 1992. Buddy and Beulah Mae had the following children:
b. Andrew Franklin Carter, born in 1902, died on October 13, 1987 of liver cancer. He married LEONA WILLIAMS, daughter of UNKNOWN WILLIAMS and UNKNOWN JETTON, on June 26, 1926. Leona (“Lee”) was born in 1908 and died in 1984 of a heart attack. They are both buried in the Donelton Cemetery, Lone Oak, Texas. They had the following children:
(1) Mattie Faye Carter was born on September 27, 1927. She died on February 23, 1995, and is buried in the Donelton Cemetery in Lone Oak, Texas. Her first spouse was CARROLL HOLLAND. Faye and Carroll had the following child:
(a) Carroll Holland, “Butch”, married TAMMY UNKNOWN.
i) Joshua Holland
Faye’s 2nd Spouse was Sterling ALLEN. They had the following children:
(b) Debbie Sue Allen
(c) Joel Allen
(d) Phillip Allen
(2) Ola Mae Carter was born on August 25, 1929. She married ORVAL EARL GREEN. They had the following children:
(a) Kenneth Earl Green was born June 19, 1948. His first spouse was CAROLYN ANN MARTIN. They married on June 21, 1968 at Pleasant Valley Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas. They had the following child:
i) Kenneth Earl Green, Jr., born October 6, 1969. On October 16, 1991 he married LISA DOUTHITT. They had the following children:
a) Megan Arlene Green, born June 21, 1992
b) Corey Orval Green, born in November 1996
Kenneth’s 2nd Spouse: Margaret CROW; Kenneth’s 3rd Spouse: Ardys Vanderhoff
(b) Robert Keith Green was born January 8, 1952 in Terrell, Texas. On July 18, 1970 he married PATRICIA BEVERLY MARTIN at Pleasant Valley Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas. They had the following children:
i) Robert Keith Green, II was born October 13, 1972 in Dallas, Texas. On April 24, 1993, he married AMY NELL MYERS. They had the following child:
a) Joshua Conner Green, born on December 29, 1994 in Kaufman, Texas
ii) Kimberly Renee Green born in Dallas, Texas on November 8, 1974. On April 7, 1994 she married JOHN WESLEY VALENTINE in Kaufman, Texas. They had the following children:
a) John Robert VALENTINE, born December 15, 1996 in Dallas, Texas at Methodist Hospital
b) Trent Logan VALENTINE, born December 31, 2000 in Mesquite, Texas
c) Colton Hunter VALENTINE, born October 21, 2002 in Mesquite, Texas
(c) Norman Dale Green, born April 1954, married PAMELA McCORMICK on September 9, 1972. They had the following children:
i) Cynthia (Twin), born and died on October 20, 1972
ii) Delaney (Twin), born and died on October 20, 1972
iii) Stephanie Suzanne Green, born September 1, 1974, married SCOTT RABON in August 1993. They had the following children:
a) Cynthia Delaney Rabon
b) Alex Rabon
c) Jordan Rabon
iv) Melinda Gail Green, born June 9, 1978, married GARY DALE REAGAN on June 9, 1996. They had the following children:
a) Christian Reagan
b) Susan Nicole Reagan, 1999
(d) Michael Glenn Green, born January 15, 1954. Married HAZEL BAISDEN in June 1981.
i) Brandon Michael Green
(3) Kenneth Melvin CARTER, married SARAH PUTMAN. They had the following children:
(a) Rhonda Nell Carter married RICKY RICHARDSON
i) Angela Richardson
ii) Kelli Jo Richardson
(b) Vicki , born December 19, married RONNIE McKINNEY
(c) Melvin Kenneth Carter, Jr., born December 19, was first married to UNKNOWN and second married to UNKNOWN. He has no children
(4) Gerald Carter married LINDA UNKNOWN. They had the following children:
(5) Robert (“Bobby”) Carter married WYNELL BUSHNELL.
(a) Mary Ann who married RONNIE HUDNALL
i) Terri Lynn Hudnall
c. Albert Carter Carter was born October 7, 1911. He married PEARL WILLIAMS, sister to LEONA WILLIAMS, his brother Andrew’s wife, on June 12, 1933. Pearl was born on September 18, 1912. She died on February 24, 1991 of cancer. She is buried in the Donelton Cemetery in Lone Oak, Texas. They had one son:
(1) Gerald (“Jerry”) Carter. Jerry died on June 27, 2002 of cancer. He is buried in Greenville, Texas.
(a) Diana Carter
B. Eagleton Monroe Carter, “Monroe” was born May 4, 1845. He died November 6, 1890, and is buried in the Calhoun Cemetery in Delano, Polk County, Tennessee. The Calhoun Cemetery is out in the woods several miles from the Carter homeplace in Delano. Monroe is buried alongside his father-in-law, Jordon Calhoun. Monroe married RACHEL CALHOUN. Rachel was born May 21, 1847, and died May 8, 1923. At some point after Monroe’s death, Rachel traveled, along with nine of her children, to Texas. She is buried in the Donelton Cemetery in Lone Oak, Hunt County, Texas.
1. Jordon Carter was born in 1867, and died in 1938. He is buried in the Friendship Cemetery at Friendship Baptist Church, Delano, Polk County, Tennessee. He married MARY JOSEPHINE YATES, who died in 1940. She is buried beside Jordon at Friendship. They had the following children:
a. Thomas Carter, born in 1894
b. Lafayette Carter, born in 1895
c. Dewey Carter was born in 1898 and died in 1986. His first spouse was VESTA TREW, who died in 1940. His second spouse was NONA MAE KIRKLAND.
(1) Jordon Franklin, who was the only child Dewey had by Vesta Trew. He was raised by Nona Mae Kirkland
(2) Wanda Kay Carter
(3) Mary Gwendolyn Carter, who married a Mr. WILSON
(a) Douglas Alan Wilson
d. Mellie Carter was born in 1901
e. Mary Lou Carter was born in 1904
f. Infant Daughter, no dates available who was known as “Little Sister”
2. Lola Carter CALDWELL was born in 1883. She is buried in the Donelton Cemetery in Lone Oak, Texas
3. Sarah Jane was born in 1871. She married JACK GORDON
4. Donnie “Don” Carter
a. H.M. “Donnie” Carter was born on March 15, 1889. He died on December 9, 1967. He was married to LEAH MEACHAM. Leah was born on December 11, 1901 and died on May 20, 1959
5. James Robert Carter “Jim” was born in 1887
6. John Carter was born in 1873
a. Mildred Carter ENGLEHARDT, last known to be in Grand Junction, Colorado
7. Joseph E. Carter (“Joe”) was born May 4, 1877. He died on May 13, 1962
8. Barker Carter was born in 1880
9. Dave Carter
C. John Wesley Carter was born in September, 1846 in Tennessee. He married AMANDA UNKNOWN.
D. William Henry Carter was born on February 17, 1847 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. Died in 1934 in Hunt County, Texas. He first married UNKNOWN, and second married TILDA LINKENFELT. His third spouse was RACHEL LAWSON.
1. Lark Carter
2. Basco Carter
3. Mexico Carter
E. George Washington Carter, born July 22, 1849 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. He died at 4:00 p.m. on December 16, 1926 from burns and contributory diabetes in Collin County, Texas. He was buried in Hunt County, Texas on December 18, 1926. He was a farmer. He married MARY ANN CROCKER. She was born on September 28, 1852 in Tennessee. She died on November 10, 1908 and is buried in Shady Grove, Hunt County, Texas.
1. Addison Carter was born March 31, 1878 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. He died December 29, 1935 in Hunt County, Texas. He was married to BULAH SMITH.
2. Louisa Missouri (“Lula”) Carter LEWIS was born April 23, 1880 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. She died in Greenville, Hunt County, Texas
a. Lottie Mae Carter EASTUP
(1) Lera Mae Eastup JENKINS
(a) Sondra Seamster
3. George William Carter was born June 29, 1882 in Hunt County, Texas. He died October 12, 1953. He married SARAH RYNTER
4. Joseph Eagleton Carter was born February 26, 1885 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. He died June 30, 1902 in Hunt County, Texas, and is buried in the Webb Hill Cemetery in Hunt County, close to Wolfe City. At 16 he was injured when he jumped from the back of a wagon. He died of his injuries.
5. Rexie Carter was born April 20, 1887 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. She married HENRY GREEN on December 29, 1905 in Hunt County, Texas.
F. Marion Columbus Carter, “Lum” was born March 31, 1851 in Tennessee. He married NANCY ANN TAYLOR. Nancy was born November 29, 1850 in Tennessee. She died on April 18, 1893. Her parents were CALVIN BAXTER TAYLOR and MARY ELENDER COOK.
1. Julia Carolyn “Callie” Carter was born June 21, 1872 in Polk County, Tennessee. She died March 18, 1950 in Amherst, Lamb County, Texas. She was married to CHARLES MANLEY BOLTON.
2. Oliver Reynolds “Ollie” Carter was born June 4, 1875 in Benton, Polk County, Texas. He died March 6, 1956 in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. His first spouse was FRANCES ADELLA SIMMONS, born on March 14, 1878. She died on June 17, 1908. Both Ollie and Frances are buried in the Webb Hill Cemetery, Wolfe City, Texas. They had the following children:
a. Reese E. Carter
b. Riley Carter
c. Anna Mildred Carter born on May 6, 1900 in Quannah, Hardeman County, Texas. She died on May 13, 1889 in San Antonio, Texas. She married RAYMOND ALONZO PINNELL. They had the following children:
(1) Raymond Alonzo Pinnell, Jr., born on July 5, 1925
(2) Peggy Jane Pinnell, born on November 28, 1927 in Birmingham, Alabama. She died on October 17, 1947 in San Antonio, Texas. She was married to PAUL RENEE NAUSCHUTZ
(3) Barbara Joy Pinnell, born on February 26, 1932
d. Emma Carter, born on September 29, 1902 in Quannah, Texas
LUM’s second wife was EUNICE G. WALLACE. They had the following children:
e. Carolyn Ruth Carter
f. Marguerite Carter
g. Betty Carter
3. Lula E. Carter was born May 21, 1877 in Polk County, Tennessee
4. W. Frank Carter was born August 1879 in Tennessee
5. Marion Columbus Carter, Jr. was born April 15, 1881 in Tennessee
6. L. Jennie Carter was born November 15, 1883 in Tennessee. She died on July 29, 1934
7. C. Baxter Carter was born December 31, 1886 in Tennessee
8. Lillie May Carter was born December 1, 1889 in Tennessee. She married W. MOSER
9. James T. Carter was born August 20, 1892
“Lum” and his family moved to Hunt County, Texas. Believe that he was also the founder of the country singing group, “The ChuckWagon Gang”.
G. Phillip Franklin Carter was born in November 1853. He is buried in Hunt County, Texas. He married ELIZABETH O’NEAL
H. Emily Susan Carter was born in 1854 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. On August 15, 1872, she married WILLIAM CRABTREE in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. Emily died on January 2, 1894 in McMinn County, Tennessee, presumably while sitting in bed smoking a pipe, from a relapse of the measles. William was born June 16, 1843, and died on June 16, 1923 in Titus County, Texas. They had the following children:
1. John Thomas Crabtree, born on June 26, 1873, died on May 22, 1945 in Titus County, Texas. He was married to MARY ADA CALDWELL
2. William Henry Crabtree was born on July 30, 1874 in Riceville, McMinn County, Tennessee. He died on November 4, 1930 in Titus County, Texas
3. Mary Jane Crabtree was born on August 24, 1875 in Riceville, McMinn County, Tennessee. Her first spouse was HALL DANIELS. Her second spouse was JOSEPH BENJAMIN COCHRAN. She married one of them on November 5, 1889
I. James L. Carter was born in 1856
J. Narsisey Francis Jane Carter was born on June 29, 1857 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. She died on May 8, 1949 and is buried at Webb Hill Cemetery at Wolfe City, Hunt County, Texas
K. Mary Victoria Carter was born in 1859
L. Thomas Newton Carter was born in 1861. He married TID LAWSON. Thomas Newton moved several times from Polk to Bradley County and back. He died in Bradley County and is buried at Moore’s Chapel Cemetery. They had the following children:
4. Cora SMITH
5. Minnie SHIELDS
6. Jennie WILLIS
7. Gussie WILLIS
M. Joseph R. Carter was born on December 26, 1866. He died on February 23, 1945
N. Martin Canada Carter was born on January 3, 1868 in Benton, Polk County, Tennessee. He died on April 11, 1939 in Peniel, Hunt County, Texas
(Monroe and Rachel CALHOUN Carter)
RACHEL CALHOUN’S PARENTAGE:
Sir Humphry Colquhoun XII of Colquhoun was born in 1495. He married LADY CATHERINE GRAHAM.
Sir John Colquhoun XIII,KT & XV of Luss was born in 1515. He married LADY AGNES BOYD.
Sir Alexander Colquhoun XV & XVll of Luss was born in 1573. In 1595 he married MARGARET HELEN BUCHANAN
Adam Colquhoun was born in 1601. In 1621 he married LADY CHRISTIAN LINDSAY.
Robert Colquhoun was born in 1622. In 1641 he married CATHERINE McAUSELAN.
Descendants of Robert Colquhoun and Catherine McAuselan of Scotland:
I. William Campbell Colquhoun (CALHOUN) was born in 1643. In 1661 he married CATHERINE McCAUSLAND.
O. William COLHOUN (CALHOUN) married ALICE CUNNINGHAM.
1. David Calhoun was born in 1690 in Strabane, Tyrone County, Ireland. In 1724 he married KATHERINE COE FAIRCHILD. David died in 1769, and is buried in Washington Township, Litchfield, Connecticut.
All of William COLHOUN’s children emigrated to America.
P. Alexander Calhoun married JUDITH HAMILTON.
1. James Patrick Calhoun married CATHERINE MONTGOMERY. In the 1730's Patrick and his wife Catherine left Donegal, Ireland and traveled to the American colonies, settling in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Patrick Colquhoun died there, and his will was probated in 1741. Later, his widow Catherine and daughter Mary and husband John Noble and Catherine's sons, traveled on to the western portion of Virginia, into the newly formed county of Augusta west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. In 1755, Braddock's forces were defeated in the French and Indian War, and withdrew from western Virginia, leaving the area open to Indian attack, and the colony abandoned their homes and relocated to Granville County, South Carolina, in a location called Long Cane Creek, or Calhoun Settlement, but in 1760 the local Cherokee Indians began attacking the new settlers, and James Calhoun was killed. The settlement again packed up, prepared to move the women and children to Atlanta, Georgia to safety, but were attacked on the way and many of their number were killed, including Catherine Montgomery Calhoun. Her son Patrick (father of future Vice President John Caldwell Calhoun) later erected two monuments at the site of the massacre. They had the following children:
a. Mary Catherine, born in 1690. In 1713 she married JOHN NOBLE in North Ireland. Immigrated to Pennsylvania in the 1730's, and to Augusta County, Virginia in the 1740's. Mary Catherine and John Noble had the following children:
(1) Francis Jeanette
b. James, married SUZANNA LONG
c. Ezekiel, married JEAN or JANE EWING
(1) Ezekiel Calhoun was born in 1754. His spouse was MELLIE UNKNOWN.
(a) John B. Calhoun was born in Abbeville, South Carolina. He married REBECCA PAYNE.
i) Charles Morgan Calhoun married ELIZABETH McWHORTER
a) Charles Morgan Calhoun was born December 16, 1851 in South Carolina. He married SALLY M. CANNON, who was born in Louisiana.
(b) Elijah was born in Abbeville, South Carolina. He married MARY EATON.
(c) Andrew was born in Abbeville, South Carolina. His first wife was NANCY MORGAN. In 1828 he married ANN EATON. They had SIX children.
2. William Calhoun married AGNES “ANNIE” LONG, sister of SUZANNA LONG, his sister-in-law, on October 19, 1749. They had the following children:
a. Joseph was born on October 22, 1750.
b. Catherine was born on February 4, 1753. Said to have been killed in the Indian massacre on Long Cane, February 1, 1760
c. Anne was born on May 18, 1755. Taken by the Indians at the Long Cane massacre and held in captivity for 14 years. On October 12, 1784, she married ISAAC MATTHEWS. She died on December 19, 1830.
d. Mary was born on November 1, 1757. Taken by the Indians at the time of the Long Cane massacre, probably died in their hands
e. Patrick was born on February 18, 1760. Killed by the Indians on June 26, 1776 while serving as an ensign in Captain James McCall’s expedition into Cherokee Country
f. Esther was born on September 30, 1765. She married WILLIAM LOVE.
g. William was born on April 5, 1768.
h. Ezekiel was born on November 27, 1770. He married FRANCES HAMILTON, daughter of MAJOR ANDREW HAMILTON.
i. Agnas was born on August 29, 1773. She married GENERAL HUTTON.
j. Alexander was born on December 21, 1776.
3. Patrick, first spouse was Jane CRAIGHEAD. Jane died while giving birth to twins, who also died. Jane’s father was the Reverend Alexander CRAIGHEAD, and her mother was AGNES BROWN. Jane’s siblings were: Mary, who married SAMUEL DUNLAP; Margaret, who married JAMES CARRUTH; Agnes, who married JOHN ALEXANDER – whose family married into the Ramseys); Rachel, who married DAVID CALDWELL; Robert, who married HANNAH CLARK; Elizabeth, who married ALEXANDER CRAWFORD; and Thomas, who married ELIZABETH BROWN.
Rev. Thomas Craighead brought his family from Ulster in 1714 and settled in Boston. Son Alexander was seven at the time and he was ordained a Presbyterian minister in 1735. Rev. Alexander Craighead lived in Dealware for a time and was a minister in Lancaster Co., Pa. until 1753 when he came to Augusta Co., Va. to form a church on the Cowpasture River. Nicknamed the "Pugnacious Parson" for his views on freedom for America. He left the Shenandoah Valley of Va. by 1762 with many of his flock, and went to Anson Co., North Carolina. Jane’s father, the Reverend Alexander Craighead, pastored the Lebanon Presbyterian Church of Knox County, Tennessee, and apparently was quite famous. Rev. Alexander Craighead died in the home of his daughter Agnes and son-in-law John ALEXANDER. Jane’s sister, Agnes, was married to John ALEXANDER. John ALEXANDER’s sister, Naomi Alexander RAMSEY, was the sixth great-grandmother of Robert Keith GREEN’s wife, Patricia Beverly MARTIN Green. Jane CRAIGHEAD Calhoun’s husband, Patrick, was sixth great-GRANDFATHER to Robert Keith Green, husband of Patricia Beverly MARTIN Green.
Robert Keith Green and Patricia Beverly MARTIN were married on July 18, 1970.
2nd Spouse of Patrick Calhoun was Martha CALDWELL. Her father was WILLIAM CALDWELL, her mother was REBECCA UNKNOWN. Her sister was Margaret Caldwell, who married JOHN RITCHIE. Martha and Patrick had the following children:
a. Catherine, who married the Reverend Moses WADDELL
b. William, who married CATHERINE JENNER de GRAFFENREID. William and Catherine had LUCRETIA ANN CALHOUN.
c. Patrick, Jr., who was born circa 1784. He married Nancy Needham de Graffenreid, sister of his brother William’s wife. Both girls were fathered by Tscharner de Graffenreid. Their mother was LUCRETIA UNKNOWN. Patrick died in 1841; both he and Nancy are buried in Abbeville, South Carolina. They had four children, then had
(1) BENJAMIN ALFRED CALHOUN, who was born in Abbeville, South Carolina. He married MARY JEANETTE YARBROUGH.
(a) Benjamin Alllen Calhoun was born in 1852 in Scooba, Kemper, Mississippi. He married FRANCES WEBB, born on November 9, 1856, in Livingston, Alabama. They married in 1880 in Bryan, Texas.
i) Ben A. Calhoun was born in Bryan, Texas. He married KATHARINE SEYMOUR.
ii) Norma Calhoun was born in Bryan, Texas. She married DAVID BERWICK VINSON.
d. John Caldwell Calhoun was born in 1782. His first spouse was FLORIDA CALHOUN, a cousin. His second spouse was MARGARET PHILLIPS. John Caldwell Calhoun was Vice President under Andrew Jackson. John C. Calhoun is best remembered as an American statesman and political philosopher. From 1811 until his death, Calhoun served in the federal government -- as congressman, secretary of war, vice president, senator, secretary of state, and again as senator. Born on 18 March 1782 in the Abbeville district of South Carolina, Calhoun was largely self-educated before entering Yale as a junior in 1801. After graduating with honors in 1804, he attended law school in Litchfield, Connecticut, and was admitted to the South Carolina bar in 1807. His law practice led to service in the South Carolina legislature from 1809 to 1811. There, he helped establish a balance of power between the planters from the tidewater region and piedmont farmers. Calhoun entered the U.S. Congress in 1811. He was among those young nationalists known as the War Hawks urging war with Great Britain. His proposals for strengthening the armed forces and financing the war led to Calhoun's appointment as secretary of war in James Monroe's cabinet. In 1824, Calhoun was elected vice president under John Quincy Adams. By 1828, he had aligned himself with Andrew Jackson and was again elected to the vice presidency when Jackson won the presidency. Unfortunately, Jackson and Calhoun had become bitter enemies by 1832 and, Calhoun resigned as vice president to reenter the Senate. By this time, he had become preoccupied by sectional interests. As the antislavery campaign grew in the North, Calhoun, who had merely tolerated slavery, became its strongest defender. In 1844, as secretary of state in John Tyler's administration, he negotiated a treaty for the annexation of Texas. This effectively preserved sectional balance in the union by enlarging the area open to slavery. Calhoun's last appearance in Congress was on 7 March 1850, as he heard and approved Daniel Webster's appeal for sectional peace. Three days earlier, too ill to speak, Calhoun sat in the Senate as his speech was read for him. He died in Washington on 31 March 1850.
(1) William Caldwell Calhoun
e. James Calhoun was born circa 1783 in Fairfield County, South Carolina. He died in 1866. His spouse was SARAH CALDWELL MARTIN. Sarah’s father was Dr. JAMES MARTIN, surgeon of the Third Regiment of South Carolina Continental Establishment in the American Revolutionary War.
(1) James Martin Calhoun was born in 1805 in Abbeville, South Carolina. He died in 1877, and is buried in Richmond, Alabama. On May 26, 1830, he married SUSAN WILKINSON PICKENS.
(a) Rebecca was born in 1832
(b) Susannah was born in 1834
(c) Andrew was born in 1838. He married FRANCES (“DIDDIE”) Lee in Carlowville, Dallas County, Alabama
i) Susan Wilkinson married ALEXANDER NOBLE. Alexander Noble was the son of Governor Patrick Noble of South Carolina, who was a law partner of John C. Calhoun before John C. Calhoun was elected to Congress)
ii) Rebecca Lee
iii) Julia Fishburne
iv) James Martin
v) Harriet Eliza
vi) Sarah Louise Pickens remained in Alabama, died in Selma. She married WILLIAM T. WADE.
a) Andrew Pickens Wade
b) Harriet Eliza Wade
c) Susan Calhoun Wade
d) Georgia Wade
vii) Ellen Lee
(d) Sarah Louisa was born in 1842
(e) James Francis was born in 1846. His first spouse was FLORENCE OLIVIA LEE.
i) Mary Louise
ii) Martin Lee
iii) Marion Pickens
iv) Florence Olivia
James’ 2nd Spouse was Julia Emma LEE. They had the following children:
v) Martha Eleanor
vi) James Frances
vii) Andrew Pickens
viii) Julia Emma Pauline
ix) George Hurst
(f) John Caldwell Calhoun, born in 1850. Took his MA at Washington and Lee University in Virginia. He later attended college in Heidelberg, Germany, and Paris, France. He taught in Florida and at William and Mary College in Virginia until he retired, when he moved back to Selma, Alabama, where he died in 1917.
(2) William H. Calhoun
(3) Carolina Calhoun
(4) Sarah Calhoun
(5) Jordon Calhoun was born on April 11, 1807 and died on July 13, 1889. On March 1, 1842 he married JANE MADDOX.
(a) Joseph Calhoun
(b) William Calhoun
(c) Rachel Calhoun CARTER - Rachel was the granddaughter of John Caldwell Calhoun’s brother, James. Rachel married EAGLETON MONROE CARTER
(d) E.C. Calhoun TUNNELL (daughter)
THROUGH THE CARTERS, YOU ARE RELATED TO —
Governor Henry “Harry” LEE
“Light Horse Harry”
Father of Robert E. Lee
General Robert E. LEE
Head of the Confederate Army
Mary Randolph CUSTIS
Wife of General Robert E. Lee
Great-Niece of Martha WASHINGTON, wife of GEORGE WASHINGTON
Father-in-law to Charles Carter Lee, brother of Robert E. LEE
John Penn was a signer of the American Declaration of Independence
Descendant of the founders of the State of Pennsylvania
Signer of the American Declaration of Independence
William Henry HARRISON
9th President of the United States
23rd President of the United States
Signer of the American Declaration of Independence
John Caldwell CALHOUN
Congressman from South Carolina
Secretary of War under James MONROE
Vice President under John Quincy ADAMS
Vice President under Andrew Jackson
John Caldwell Calhoun was the great-uncle of
Rachel CALHOUN, wife of Eagleton Monroe CARTER
Rachel was the great-aunt of ANDREW FRANKLIN CARTER
State of Tennessee , Polk County
June 20th, 1889
I, Jordon Calhoun, of the county and state above named, being in bad health and knowing that life is uncertain, and I being in my proper mind as much so as at any time my past life, do this day make my last will and testimony. First: It is my desire and will that my son, Joseph Calhoun, have the farm on which I now live, except one piece of bottom land known as the lower bottom on the Easm on which I now live on, which is my will and desire that my son, William Calhoun, have. He William Calhoun, is to have full control of said piece of bottom land, from this day on as his own, and said William Calhoun is to have a free passsway into said bottom. The said piece of bottom land that I, Jordon Calhoun, now will to William Calhoun is bounded as follows: Said piece of bottom land lies below the big ditch running with the run of the old branch joining the Harvey Calhoun heirs. Third: It is my will and desire to state in this will that I have heretofore willed to my two daughters, Rachel Carter and her heirs, and E. C. Tunnell and her heirs all that I intend for them to have of my estate. Fourth: It is my will and desire that I, Jordon Cahoun, and wife Jane Calhoun, is to have our support off of said land that I have willed to my son Joseph Calhoun as long as we live and he Joseph Calhoun is to have said land at my death.
Signed in presence of this day and date above named witnesses:
W.G. Calhoun, P. L. Davis
Signed: Jordon Calhoun (his mark)
(First known birth: 1793
First known origin: 1810, Green County, Tennessee)
Lydia Kinser was the Mother of David Franklin Carter
David Franklin Carter was the father of Samuel Monroe Carter
Samuel Monroe Carter was the father of Andrew Franklin Carter
Andrew Franklin Carter was the father of Ola Mae Carter GREEN
Ola Mae Carter Green was the mother of Robert Keith Green
John W. Kinser, born February 24, 1793. He married SUSANNA MERCER MESSEMORE, who was born on December 10, 1793, in 1810 in Greene County, Tennessee. Susannah’s parents were MICHAEL MESSEMORE and MARY UNKNOWN. John and Susannah had the following children:
1 Francis Marion Kinser
2 Sarah Jane Kinser WAMPLER
3 Lydia (“Sally”) Kinser, born in 1823 in Tennessee (presumably Greene County). On July 8, 1841 Lydia married William A.D. Carter. See CARTER line.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|