I've seen a lot of bad info out there on Kit's family and thought I should pass along some info.
Most researchers now believe Kit was married 3 times: 1. Waa-nibe (Arapaho Indian) 2. Making-out-Road (Cheyenne Indian) and 3. Maria Josefa Jaramillo (1828-1868).
Waa-nibe had only one daughter before she died, Adeline (b 1837 CO) After her mother's death, Kit took Adeline to MO to be raised in a Catholic boarding school. At a young age she married Louis (Luther) Simmons and later perhaps Geo. Stilts. She died in 1861 near Mono Lake CA at age 24. She was described as "a noble looking woman of mixed complexion, with black eyesand long balck hair and could excel most men in the use of the rifle". Adeline had no known children.
Kit's 2nd wife Making-out-Road stayed with him only a short time before she left him. Most researchers beleive there were no children from this union but there were two indian women who claimed to their children.
Josefa Jaramilo married Kit in Taos when she was only 15 (he was 33). Many have confused their children:
1. Carlos Adolfo Carson according to church records Kit & Josefa's first child. Born 6 May 1850 and died Feb 1851.
2. William "Julian" Carson b 23 Oct 1852. After the death of his parents he was taken in by Gen. Wm. T. Sherman and sent to Notre Dame in IN. By 1880 William had returned to CO was living in Costilla County with his wife Maria Pascuala Tobin - Daughter of Kits friend and trapper Tom Tobin. Also living with William was his brother Charles Christopher, and sisters Estella and Rebecca. Tom Tobin is a very interesting figure in CO history. Reportedly the som of an Irishman and a Delaware Indian (some say a slave) He became famous for tracking down and killing two murderes Espisito Brothers, and bring back their heads for a bounty. Once William Carson and Tom Tobin were dinking heavily and Tom pulled a knife on Wm. after he struck Pascuala. William hit Tom with a hammer, and shot him. Tom lived and th two continued to be frineds until William died in 1889 (age 36). William and Pascuala's children were: Josephine, Attie, Christopher, Rebecca Ann, and Wm. Thomas.
3. Teresina Carson b 23 Jul 1855 married DeWitt Fulton Allen in Boggsville CO in 1871. Reportedly she died soon afterward.
4. Christopher Charles Carson (Charles or Kit II) b 30 Jun 1858. He is the source of much confusion because he used both names and was married twice. The Kansas U web site shows him as two separate individuals which is incorrect.
His first wife was Maria Guadalupe Richards and their children were: Josephine, Amanda, Charles, Allen, Julia Hilda, Nettie Guadalupe, and Christopher. Kit II and "Lupe" divorced in 1910 and he remarried Mary Alice Gallagher (she was 28 he 54). They had children: Jesse Charles, Ophelia Agnes, Margarite, Kit Edward, Alice Estelle, William Lindsey, and Anna Josephine. Kit II died in La Junta, CO in 1929.
5. Rebecca Carson b 15 Apr 1864 was married to a John Lewis and a short time later committed suicide by drinking morphine. No children.
6. Estella Carson b 23 Dec 1866. She married Spears Erasmus Wood (Tom). They had children but I haven't nailed them down yet. I think there was an Albert Spears Wood, and Leona May Wood.
7. Josephine Carson b 13 Apr 1868. Her mother died shortly after her birth. She married a James Howard and later a Wm. Squires. Unknown if she had children.
Any additional info or corrections are appreciated!
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|