This was in the Killarney History Book. Hope it helps some!
"TURTLE MOUNTAIN MUNICIPALITY AND KILLARNEY 1882- 1982"
William Crawford followed his brother George to Manitoba in 1881. His sister was one of the Greenway Settlers at Crystal City. He filed on SW 12-2-15 and spent the winter getting out logs for a house. George, whose house was finished, went back to Ontario and returned in March 1882 with both families. They were snowbound for three days in Emerson while the men built sleighs to take them along the Boundary Commission Trail. Two nights were spent at Mennonite settlements enroute to relatives in Crystal City. They reached George's, homestead on April 1 and crossed Jack Fish Creek on the 11th. They harvested a good crop of flat potatoes that had been sown on back setting, furrows broken the year before then turned back. They also had five acres of oats. When the ploughshares could no longer be sharpened by hammering on a stone, someone carried them in a sack to Crystal City. Williams wife Lydia traded her gold watch for a cow at Clearwater.
William and Lydia had three daughters: Edith, Annie and Lillie. Two small boys had died as infants in Ontario so they were glad to welcome Allan Crawford into their home when Mrs. George Crawford died in 1886. William Crawford drowned April 7, 1894 when a bridge over Jack Fish Creek collapsed. Lydia Crawford carried on with her daughters and hired help until Allan could take over. This farm is now farmed by Allan's son Jim, the third generation of Crawfords on this 100 year old farm. Lydia died in 1926.
Edith Crawford married Thomas Clark, also of Highview District. They had three children: Vincent, Ruth and Nina. After Edith's death in 1905, they lived with their grandparents and Vincent and Ruth attended Highview school until their father married again and took them to Almeda Saskatchewan to live.
Annie Crawford married George Barnard in 1909. (See Barnard). (I have typed it out and posted it below)
Lillie Crawford never married. She lived at home until 1920, spent some years in Saskatchewan and her later years around Killarney and Lena. She died in 1949.
Dan Barnard (1866-1948) came from Sussex England and homesteaded NE 16-1-17 in 1870. A brother Tom, went west. Dan's wife, Annie Tricky died in childbirth and infant daughter only lived a few months. A sister of Dan's, Bessie Bacon and daughter (Mrs. EP Stockwell) came to keep house for him until her death in 1932. Dan was interested in community affairs and was a trustee for Plum Hollow School.
George Barnard (1873 - 1947) came to Canada in 1895. He bought NW 27-1-17 and N 21-1-17. He married Annie Crawford and there were two daughters Lillie (Mrs. D. Wilkins) and Mary (Mrs. Fred Palmer) of Baldur. There are six grandchildren. Mrs. Barnard died in 1947. Mr and Mrs. George Barnard were very active in church and school work. The Barnards were shorthorn cattle breeders.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|