Several of you have tried to help me with this earlier. I am still stuck, stuck, stuck!
Looking for the parents of John BRITTAIN, b. abt. 1801, location unknown, although local family history books, i.e. J.H. Beers & J.H. Battle (both not always reliable) suggest England.
John died abt. Apr 1851 in Huntington Twp., Luzerne Co., PA.
He was married to Almira Unknown. Children in Orphan's Court Docs:
1) Nancy BRITTAIN, b. 7 Oct 1828, d. 22 Mar 1856, bur. Sr. Gabriel's Cemetery, Cole's Creek (R.R. Benton), Sugarloaf Twp., Columbia Co., PA; mar. 22 Feb 1848 Andrew J. LAUBACH [this is my line];
2) Mary Ann BRITTAIN, b. 25 Oct 1832; mar. Ira D. KLINE;
3) Adelaide BRITTAIN, b. abt. 1834; mar. Henry P. WHITEMAN;
4) Henrietta BRITTAIN, b. abt. 1836;
5) John Benton BRITTAIN, b. abt. 1839;
6) Asabel (? - uncertain of name - male according to Census).
Several people believe John is a son of Joseph BRITTAIN (b. 1771) & Ann WHITE. However, as far as I know, these are only guesses based on the fact that this Joseph had a son, John, born about the same time as "my" John. I suspect my John is either the son of this Joseph or the mysterious Charles BRITTAIN (see previous posting), but cannot find any definite proof or disproof.
Any info on this family other than my line from Nancy BRITTAIN (which I have well-documented) would be **very** helpful!
1) Orphan's Court Documents: BRITTAIN, John, Huntington Twp., Luzerne Co., PA, (Microfilmed records of Orphan's Court, Luzerne Co. Court House, Wilkes-Barre, PA, as found in Wyoming Co. Historical Society, Tunkhannock, PA; Oct 2000 mce & pale).
2) Beers, J.H., & Co., History of Columbia and Montour Counties, PA, (1915), p. 985, Knorr, Samuel M., article. Also, History of Columbia & Montour Counties: BATTLE, J.H., (Book), 1887, (also at htttp://www.rootsweb.com/~pacolumb/contents.htm), p. 541. Also, History of Luzerne County: BRADSBY, 1893, Biographical Section, "D. Chatfield BRITTAIN" article. MAY NOT BE ACCURATE!
3) Census, U.S.: 1850, Huntington Twp., Luzerne County, PA, (microfilm at Andruss Library, Bloomsburg University, Bloomsburg, PA), Roll No. 793; (Alt. No.) pp. 289/290145 - 290/291/146, Birth date CALCULATED to about 1801; aged 49 years in 1850.
4) Laubach, Robert Seely; Laubach, David Clair; Schmidt, Helen Laubach, Eds., LAUBACH '88 - The Reinhart Laubach Family in the New World: 1738-1988, (LFA -- Laubach Family Association; Copyright 1988 by Robert Seely Laubach, Sec-Treasurer, LFA, 226 Stratford St., Syracuse, NY), 59.
5) Laubach Family Association, Compiled by Helen Laubach Schmidt, Laubach Family Association Supplement -- 1997, (LFA), 28.
6) Yocum, Kenneth E., d. 1935, Orangeville, PA, "Pioneer Families of Our County (YOCUM)," Series of articles in local newspapers, such as the Benton Argus, circa 1934-35, Article 10: Harmon KLINE.
7) Will/Letters of Admin: BRITTON, Charles, 1847; Abington Twp., Luzerne Co., PA; Bk. B, p. 274, (Copy of Will from Luzerne Co., Courthouse, Wilkes-Barre, PA, located on microfilm at the Wyoming Co. Historical Society, Tunkhannock, PA; Oct. 2000 mce & pale).
8) Van Name, Elmer Garfield, J.D., LL.D., BRITTON Genealogy: Early Generations from Sometshire, England, to Staten Island, NY, (1970; copy in Wyoming County Historical Society? , Tunkhannock, PA, & NJ State Library, Trenton, NJ (page copied by PALE in 2000)), Title Pages 2 & 3 (generations overview with dates; no spouses this page).
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|