Matthias (Brunburg) Brimberry, son of Christern Brunburg, (the first Brimberry who came to America in 1714) and Maria Peterson. Matthias was born 22 Mar 1735/36 in New Castle Co., DE. He married Mary Anderson 11 Mar 1766 at the Old Swedes Church in present day Wilmington, DE. Matthias changed the spelling of Brunburg to Brimberry as it sounded in Swedish. Matthias was the only son of Christiern and Maria to have surviving sons. So, if your name is BRIMBERRY, it is reasonable to assume that you descend from one of the seven sons of Matthias Brimberry and Mary Anderson.
1. Jacob Brimberry, born abt. 1766, Colony of DE. He was a frontiersman and indian fighter, he signed a petition in Boonesboro, KY in 1785, married Jane Cunningham in Indiana Territory (Mauckport, IN area) in 1808. Soon after he and Jane moved to Illinois Territory and lived in present day Washington Co., IL, while there he served in the War of 1812. About 1818 he moved his family to present day Crawford County, IL. In 1820 he left to take a raft of supplies to his brother, John in Ouachita Parish, LA going down the Wabash, Ohio and Mississippi rivers and disappeared. He was probably killed by river pirates for his cargo. His wife Jane was expecting their sixth child when he left. She divorced him in 1825. Their children all stayed in and around southeastern Illinois.
2. Peter Brimberry, born abt. 1767, Colony of DE. He married Dicey Walker in 1791 in Washington County, VA, they moved to SC soon after. Peter and Dicey had ten children and for the most part they stayed in and around the South Carolina and Georgia area.
3. John Brimberry, born abt. 1768 in NC. Married Agness Beethe on 19 Jun 1779 in Bourbon Co., KY. John served in the War of 1812 in a company from Crawford County, IL. They lived in present day Monroe Co., IL. in 1818. Six of their children were born in IL. John and Agness moved to Ouachita Parish, LA before 1820. Their children mostly stayed in the Louisiana area.
4. Isaac Brimberry, born abt. 1772 in NC. He married Mary Beethe, sister of Agness Beethe, wife of John above, 25 Oct 1798 in Bourbon Co., KY. They moved to Warren Co., KY in about 1807 with Isaacs parents and brother, Samuel. Isaac and Samuel moved to Illinois Territory, present day Crawford Co., IL and bought land in 1811 or 1812. They helped build Ft. LaMotte. Isaac and Mary later moved to Edgar Co., IL and in the 1830's the emigrated to Walker Co., TX. They had seven children and most of them stayed in Texas.
5. Joseph Brimberry, born abt. 1774 in NC. Joseph moved around quite a bit from SC to KY, IL and LA. He had at least seven law suits filed against him in KY. Last record of Joseph was in Ouachita Parish, LA. It is unknown if he ever married and had a family.
6. William Brimberry, born bef. 1779 in NC. He moved to SC and then to TN. He married Catherine Duggins in Wilkinson Co., MS in 1807 and it is said they had five sons. He was last found in Catahoula Parish, LA in 1836.
7. Samuel Brimberry, born abt. 1785 in NC. He went from NC with his parents to Bourbon Co., KY. In 1811 or 1812 Samuel went with his brother Isaac and family to Illlinois Territory and bought land in present day Crawford Co., IL, Fort LaMotte was built on his land in 1812. Samuel served as a second Lieutenant with Indiana Volunteers during the War of 1812. He married Mary Jones in Crawford Co., IL 18 Jun 1816. They later sold their land and moved to Edgar Co., IL and about 1832 they moved to Texas. The seven children of Samuel and Mary stayed around Nacagdoches and Smith Counties, TX.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|