1. Abraham Reiff, b. 1696 in Ibersheim, Germany, (son of Joseph Reiff and Unknown) occupation Farmer. He married Barbara Bergey Moyer, married 1735 in Montgomery Co., PA, b. 1705, (daughter of Christian Moyer and Barbara) d. 1773. Abraham died Dec-1763 in N. Coventry Twp., Chester Co. Pa. *One of three Mennonite brothers who arrived in Philadelphia in 1717. *Abraham bought land in Franconia Twp, present Montgomery Co., PA. Barbara *Moyer/Meyer was daughter of neighbor Christian Meyer. Abraham was one of *the founders of the Salford Mennonite Church near Harleysville, Montgomery *Co, PA. In early 1740's is said to have moved to Earl Twp, Lancaster Co., PA *where son Abraham Jr. was located. Later he moved to Coventry Twp, Chester *Co., where he died. Will filed in Philadephia, Registrar of Wills, City Hall Will N-34 (dated 20 Jul
1763), Philadelphia City Archives, Philadelphia, Pa. Immigrant in 1717. Purchased 212 acres from
James Steele on 14 Sept 1729; sold this farm to Jacob Detweiler on 16 Apr 1746; the spacious
log house on this farm was occasionally used as a meetinghouse by the Franconia Mennonite
congregation before the Franconia meetinghouse was built.* ; in 1746 located in Upper Leacock
Twp., Lancaster Co., Pa.**
*Joyce Clemmer Munro, "Early and Successive Land Owners in Franconia Township,
Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, 1981, p. 35.
**According to Deed 0-1-545, Lancaster, on 23 Apr 1746, Abraham Reiff purchased the
297-acre tract which had been patented to Samuel Evans: Patent A-7-562 (2 Jan 1735),
2. i Anna Reiff b. 07-Nov-1723.
3. ii Christian Reiff b. 1725.
4. iii Abraham Reiff b. 1730.
5. iv Fronica Reiff b. 1730.
6. v Isaac Reiff b. 1733.
7. vi Barbara Reiff b. 1735.
vii Jacob Reiff, b. 1737, d. 1814. Lived in Leacock Twp, PA, where was taxed as single man. Moved away by 1770. Probably the Jacob "Ruff" who on May 17, 1784 bought land in Shenandoah Co. VA from Abraham and Barbara Rife of Lancaster Co., PA. Taxed there as Jacob "Roof" in 1787
born about 1737.(340) He died in 1814. (340) Resided in
Leacock Twp., Lancaster Co., Pa., where he was taxed as a single man in 1758*, and from where
he moved away by 1770.
*Deed O-1-545, Lancaster; on June 30, 1760, Abram Reiff the elder and wife Barbara of
Leacock Twp. granted 148 acres to their son Abraham Reiff the younger, bounded by Isaac Reiff,
John Bender, Martin Shaffer, Christian Musselman, and Peter Bicker. They granted this land to
Abram "out of love and affection for their son Jacob." Apparently Jacob beinb young and single
was unable to pay for this land or else his father did not trust his son Jacob enough to deed the land
directly to him.
viii Elizabeth Reiff, b. 1740. She married Ulrich Hunsberger.
2. Anna Reiff, b. 07-Nov-1723 in Montgomery County, PA. She married Johannes/John Detweiler, married 1-Nov-1744, b. 24-Aug-1721, (son of Hans Detweiler and Susannah) d. 09-Dec-1806 in Skippack Reg., Mont. Co. PA, buried: in Lower Skippack Menn. Cem. Anna died 09-Jan-1798 in Skippack Reg., Mont. Co. PA, buried: in Lower Skippack Mennonite Cemetery. Johannes/John: Lived in Skippack, Montgomery Co., PA. Owned 200 acres.
i Susanna Reiff Detweiler, b. 2-Nov-1745. She married Henry Kolb, b. 1736, d. 6-Oct-1811, buried: in Skippack Cem. No children. Henry: No Children.
ii Barbara R. Detweiler, b. 27-Feb-1747. She married Isaac Cassel, married 20-Oct-1768, b. 21-Aug-1746, (son of Yelles Cassel and Mary) d. 2-Sep-1823, buried: in Lower Skippack Cem. Barbara died 7-Jan-1801. Isaac: Lived in Skippack Twp. Montgomery Co., PA. Mennonite minister at Skippack.
iii Mary R. Detweiler, b. 22-Apr-1748. She married John C. Landes, b. 4-Apr-1746, (son of Jacob Landes II and Mary Cassel) occupation Saw mill operater, d. 4-Mar-1823, buried: in Delp Cem. Mary died 24-Mar-1823. John: Lived in Franconia Twp., Montgomery Co. PA
iv Elizabeth R. Detweiler, b. 2-Jan-1750. She married Nicholas Haldeman, b. 13-Mar-1751, d. 28-Aug-1819. Three children.
v Esther R. Detweiler, b. 13-Mar-1751. She married Henry Hunsicker, married 6-Dec-1772, b. 07-Mar-1752, occupation Menn. minister, bishop, d. 08-Jul-1836. Esther died 18-Aug-1829. Henry: Lived in Skippack Twp. Montgomery Co. PA Ten children.
vi Abraham R. Detweiler, b. 13-Sep-1752. He married Elizabeth Zeigler, d. 1836. Abraham died 1814. Lived in Worcester, Montgomery Co., PA on 179 acres he received from his father-in-law. Four children.
vii Sarah R. Detweiler, b. 6-May-1754. She married John Moyer, b. 1752.
8. viii Jacob R. Detweiler b. 9-Dec-1755.
9. ix Catharine R. Detweiler b. 15-Mar-1758.
x Hannah R. Detweiler, b. 16-Aug-1760. She married Jacob Benner, b. 1752, (son of Bastion Benner) d. 23-Feb-1838. Hannah died 9-Jan-1798.
xi John R. Detweiler, b. 7-Jan-1762, occupation Farmer, d. 99-May-1813, buried: in Worcester/Methacton Cem. Mennonite. Lived in Lower Providence Twp., Montgomery Co., PA.
10. xii Magdalena Detweiler b. 3-Feb-1764.
11. xiii Salome Detweiler b. 10-Oct-1766.
3. Christian Reiff, b. 1725. He married (1) Veronica ?, b. 20-Apr-1732, d. 10-Aug-1800. He married (2) Elizabeth ?. Christian died 1809. born in 1725.(340) He died before 15 Feb 1809. (340) Will
11-256 (dated 6 Oct 1804; probated 15 Feb 1809), Chester Co. Archives, West Chester, Pa.;all
his land (2 tracts containing 160 acres) was granted to his son Joseph, retaining 650(pounds) to be
used for the support of Joseph's brother Isaac. Resided in Earl Twp., Lancaster Co., Pa.*; later
resided in N. Coventry Twp., Chester Co., Pa., where his name appeared on the tax list in 1774.
*Warrant No. 332 (30 Mar 1753), Harrisburg, for 60 acres in Earl Twp.
Children by Veronica ?:
12. i Joseph Reiff b. 12-Sep-1777.
ii Isaac Reiff. Feeble minded.
13. iii Barbara Reiff b. 1753.
iv Abraham Reiff. He married Barbara ?.
v Frances Reiff. She married Daniel Brower. Veronica ?
14. vi Eve (Eva) Reiff.
vii Mary Reiff. She married Unknown Kohl.
4. Abraham Reiff, b. 1730 in Montgomery County, PA, occupation Farmer;Mennonite minister. He married Barbara Groff, married 1754, b. 1736, (daughter of Samuel Groff and Christina Huber) d. 1787. Abraham died 19-Aug-1788, buried: in Groffdale Menn. Cem. *Mennonite minister of Groffdale Church, Groffdale, Lancaster Co., PA. Will processed 19-Aug-1788. Executors were Christian Hurst and sons David and Abraham Reiff. Witnesses Joseph Horst and Michael Wenger. Taxed in Earl Tnshp from 1756 to death. Called "the old man" and "the preacher." On May 26, 1777 bought land in Shenandoah Co, VA. Was still in Lancaster Co. when sold it to Jacob Roff May 27, 1784. (Pennsylvania Mennonite Heritage, Oct., 1983)
15. i Anna Reiff b. 16 May 1770.
ii Christina Reiff, b. 28 Aug 1757. She married Casper Gittinger.
16. iii Abraham Reiff b. 7-Sep-1760.
17. iv David Reiff b. 10 Dec 1755.
v Barbara Reiff, b. 1761, d. 5 Jul 1836.
vi Feronica (Fanny) Reif, b. 17 Apr 1763, d. 25 Jun 1842, buried: in Eby Family Cem., Elizabeth Twp. Lancaster Co. PA.
vii Mary (Maria) Reiff, b. 25 Nov 1765, d. 16 Feb 1845.
18. viii Joseph Reiff b. 19-Jul-1772.
19. ix Samuel (Rife) Reiff b. 20-Jan-1775.
x Catherine Reiff, b. 00-00-1777.
xi Susanna Reiff, b. 6 Jul 1780, d. 2 Jan 1866, buried: in Strasburg Menn. Church Cem.
5. Fronica Reiff, b. 1730. She married (1) Michael Sensenig, d. 1774 in Warwick Twp., Pa. She married (2) Christian Eby, b. 1734 in Earl Twp. Pa., d. 1793 in Warwick Twp. Fronica died 1788. *Had seven children with Michael. Second husband, Christian Eby, was widower *with six children.
Children by Michael Sensenig:
20. i Barbara Sensenig.
6. Isaac Reiff, b. 1733. He married (1) Barbara Holl, d. wp. 1773. He married (2) Rebecca Bear. Isaac died wp. 06-Mar-1801 in Leacock Twp; Pa.
Children by Rebecca Bear:
i Isaac Reiff, b. 1801.
7. Barbara Reiff, b. 1735 in Lower Salford Twnp. Montgomery Co. PA. She married Peter Zetty, (son of Johanns Jacob Zetty). Barbara died in Pennsylvania.
21. i Christian Zetty b. 1764.
8. Jacob R. Detweiler, b. 9-Dec-1755. He married Mary Margaret Harley, b. 13-Sep-1761, (daughter of Rudolph Harley II and Mary Becker) d. 27-Jul-1842, buried: in Lower Skippack Mennonite Cem. Jacob died 7-Mar-1815, buried: in Lower Skippack Mennonite Cem. Lived in Perkiomen Twp. Montgomry Co. PA. Had 11 children.
i Jacob Detweiler. Moved to Canada.
ii Elizabeth Detweiler. She married Benjamin Hallman. Benjamin: He and family moved to Canada.
9. Catharine R. Detweiler, b. 15-Mar-1758. She married Jacob Longacre, b. 19-Mar-1759, occupation Farmer, d. 28-Jul-1807, buried: in Methacton Menn. Cem. Catharine died 10-Mar-1816, buried: in Methacton Mennonite Cem. Lived at Parker Fort, Chester Co, PA. Later lived on farm on Schuylkill River near Pawling's Bridge. Jacob: Lived at Parker's Ford, Chester Co. PA until 1797 when family moved to farm on the Schuylkill near Pawling's Bridge. Family usually spoke German
i John Detweiler Longaker.
ii Jacob Detweiler Longaker.
iii Susanna Detweiler Longaker, b. 28-Jan-1781, d. 29-Apr-1862.
iv Peter Detweiler Longaker, b. 14-Mar-1786, d. 1-Nov-1866.
v Hannah Detweiler Longaker, b. 17-May-1787, d. 5-Feb-1816.
vi Abraham Detweiler Longaker.
vii Isaac Detweiler Longaker, b. 4-Feb-1792, d. 29-Jun-1818.
viii Henry Detweiler Longaker, b. 4-Feb-1792, d. 2-Nov-1872.
ix Joseph Detweiler Longaker.
x Samuel Detweiler Longaker.
xi Catharine Detweiler Longaker, b. 1794, d. 1800.
10. Magdalena Detweiler, b. 3-Feb-1764. She married Abraham S. Gotwals, b. 14-Jan-1764, (son of John Adam Gotwals and Fronica Snyder) occupation Farmer, d. 20-Oct-1854, buried: in Lower Skippack Mennonite Cem. Magdalena died 29-Oct-1830. Abraham: Farmed near Skippack Creek in Montgomery Co, PA
i Maria Gotwals, b. 1795 in 1816. She married ? Detweiler.
11. Salome Detweiler, b. 10-Oct-1766. She married John Conner, b. 1765, occupation Potter, d. 1835 in Lower Skippack Mennonite Cem. Came to Columbiana Co. PA about 1830, around Knox Twnship. John: Lived in Frederick Twp, Montgomery Co., PA, later in Upper Providence Twp. His property sold byk sheriff; family tradition is he lost all his property because he signed loans for friend.
i Elizabeth Conner, b. 1797. She married John Greenawalt. Elizabeth died 1889. John: Came to Columbiana Co. PA in 1835
ii Sarah Conner, b. 1799. She married George Greenawalt. Sarah died 1898.
12. Joseph Reiff, b. 12-Sep-1777. He married Sarah Harley, b. 05-Feb-1784, d. 05-Jul-1828. Joseph died 08-Dec-1838.
i Christian Harley Reiff, b. 01-Jul-1804. He married Elizabeth Titlow, b. 19-Jan-1803, d. 22-Apr-1871. Christian died 10-Jun-1893. This couple lived in Union Co., PA, and then in Burnettsville, IN
CHRISTIAN REIFF is the inventor of a clover huller, which for years has held a
leading position, and he is also the patentee of a combined grain thresher and clover huller. For many
years he was at the head of the C. H. REIFF Manufacturing Company, Union County, Pennsylvania,
which closed operations in 1878. "J. T. REIFF was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, September 18, 1832, and is the third of the
ten children born to CHRISTIAN and ELIZABETH (TITELOW) REIFF, both natives of
Pennsylvania. CHRISTIAN REIFF is the inventor of a clover huller, which for years has held a
leading position, and he is also the patentee of a combined grain thresher and clover huller. For many years he was at the head of the C. H. REIFF Manufacturing Company, Union County, Pennsylvania, which closed operations in 1878. J. T. REIFF assisted his father at farming and manufacturing until 1861; then ran a tannery at McVeytown, Pennsylvania, for eighteen months; then returned to his father's factory near Hartleton, Pennsylvania, and kept the accounts until 1868; then ran a tannery at Hartleton until 1870, when he sold and accompanied his father to Tennessee, and two years later came to this county, and the following spring bought his present farm of 200 acres, on which he has erected new buildings and a wind engine, and a bank barn 40 X 80 feet, containing fifty windows, being the second largest in the county. His real estate is worth about $12,000 and his personal property about $2,000. He was married, May 3, 1859, to MISS ELIZABETH, daughter of DAVID and ESTHER KLECKNER, and born in Pennsylvania October 18, 1834, and by this union became the father of six children, of whom three are still living - MILTON K., LILLIE J. (Wife of FRANK FISHER), and MARY EMMA (wife of PHILIP AMICK). MR. REIFF is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Conservative Branch of the German Baptist Church, of which he was chosen Deacon in 1874."
ii Rudolph Harley Reiff. He married (1) Magdalena East. He married (2) Catherine Landis (Latshaw?).
iii Abraham Harley Reiff. He married Catherine Rutter.
iv Jacob Harley Reiff. He married Elizabeth Geist.
v Mary Harley Reiff. She married Jonathan Urner.
vi Samuel HarleyReiff.
vii Barbara Harley Reiff. She married Abraham Rinehart, Jr..
13. Barbara Reiff, b. 1753 in 1820. She married Isaac Schantz, b. 14 Jan 1748, (son of Jacob Schanz and Magdalene) d. 11 Oct 1802. Moved to Canada in 1808 after death of Isaac.
i Isaac Schantz, b. 23-Apr-1783 in Mongomery Co. PA, d. in Berlin, Waterloo, Ontario.
ii Veronica Schantz. She married Abraham Biehn, b. 1781 in 1858, (son of John Biehn/Bean and Barbara Freed).
14. Eve (Eva) Reiff. She married John Herstine. She was John Herstine's second wife.
i Sarah Herstine.
15. Anna Reiff, b. 16 May 1770. She married Daniel Witwer, b. 1767, d. 1819. Anna died 27 Jan 1818, buried: in Witwer-Hollinger Cem., Earl Twp., Lancaster, PA.
i Benjamin Witwer, b. 1806. He married Catharine Schnader, b. 1806, d. 1865. Benjamin died 1877.
16. Abraham Reiff, b. 7-Sep-1760 in Earl Township, Lancaster Co, PA. He married Barbara Weber/Weaver, married 1783 in Lancaster, PA, b. 29-Jul-1764 in Lancaster Co, PA, (daughter of Henry (Hine) Kendig Weber/Weaver and Eva Graybill Wenger) d. 26-Feb-1838 in Earl Twnshp. Lancaster Co, PA, buried: in Groffdale Cemetery, Lancaster Co. PA. Abraham died 14-Feb-1820 in Earl Township, Lancaster Co. PA, buried: in Groffdale Menn. Brick Ch Cem., PA. Lived in Earl Twp., Lancaster, PA.
i Anna Reiff, b. 1786. She married Christian Hurst, (son of Christian Groff Horst and Susanna Kauffman). Anna died 1806 in Lancaster, PA, buried: in Groffdale Menn Brick Ch Cem, PA.
17. David Reiff, b. 10 Dec 1755 in Earl Twnshp, Lancaster Co. PA, occupation Men. Minister, farmer. He married Mary (Maria?), buried: in Flohr Menn. Cem. Adams Co. PA. David died 22 Sep 1823, buried: in Flohr Men. Cem. Adams County PA. Lived in Earl Township, Lancaster Co.. April 26, 1790 moved to Marsh Creek Settlement in Franklin Township, Adams Co. Four or five years later was ordained a minister. On 26 Apr 1790, bought 400 acres in the Marsh Creek settlement in Franklin Twp., Adams Co., Pa.*; ordained minister in Mennonite Church at Flohr, a congregation which gave rise to the Mummasburg Mennonite Church.
*Howard Y. Musselman, "The Marsh Creek Settlement of Adams County, 1769-1823,"
Pennsylvania Mennonite Heritage (Oct, 1979):9-11.
i David Reiff, occupation Farmer. Lived in Franklin Twp, Lancaster Co. PA.
ii Abraham Reiff. He married Nancy Muselman, buried: in On private farm in Conewango Twp. PA. Abraham buried: in Private cem. on his farm in Conewango Tp. In 1811 moved from Franklin Twp. to Menn. community of the Hanover area.
iii Samuel Reiff, occupation Farmer; tavern owner. He married Elizabeth Hoke. With opening of Gettysburg-Chambersburg pike, became a gate keeper and opened a tavern. Few years later moved to Ontario, where his descendants became part of the Mennonite community there.
iv Maria Reiff. She married John Mussleman, buried: in Flohr Menn. Cem., Adams Co, PA. Maria buried: in Flohr Menn. Cem, Adams Co, PA.
v John Reiff. He married Eve Hershey (?), buried: in Menn. Cem. Mummasburg, PA. John buried: in Menn. Cem., Mummasburg, PA. Became a deacon in Mummasburg Menn. congregation, 5mi northwest of Gettysburg. Prior to that served as a trustee.
vi George Reiff. Died unmarried at age 25.
vii Joseph Reiff. He married Catherine (?), buried: in Flohr Menn. Cem., Adams Co., PA. Joseph buried: in Flohr Menn. Cem., Adams Co, PA. Three children; all died young. Catherine: Three children; all died young
viii Isaac Reiff. He married Elizabeth, buried: in Flohr Men. Cem., Adams Co., PA. Isaac buried: in Flohr Menn. Cem, Adams Co. PA.
18. Joseph Reiff, b. 19-Jul-1772. He married Barbara Nolt, b. 1773, (daughter of Phillip Nolt) d. 1871. Joseph died 31-Jan-1854, buried: in Groffdale Menn. Cem. Lived in West Earl Twp., Lancaster Co. PA
i Maria Reiff, b. 26-Sep-1797 in West Earl Twnp,Lancaster Co, PA. She married Peter Eshleman, married 1816 in Lancaster Co., PA, b. 8-Nov-1798, (son of Abraham Eshleman and Susanna Graybill) d. 12-May-1876 in Hagerstown, MD, buried: in Miller's Cemetery, Hagerstown, MD. Maria died 7-Sep-1885 in Leitersburg Dist., MD (Hagerstown), buried: in Miller's Menn. Cemetery, Hagerstown, MD.
ii David Reiff, b. 1 Dec 1798. He married Anna (Nancy) Horst, b. 1 Feb 1799, d. 2 Jan 1883. David died 12 Dec 1839, buried: in Reiff Menn. Ch. Cemetery Cearfoss Wash. Co. MD. Lived at Farmersville, Lancaster Co., PA until 1839, when he located on a farm near Cearfoss in Washington Co, MD. Member of the Reiff Mennonite Church (formerly called Witmers) which recei ved its name from his family.
iii Magdalena Reiff, b. 23 May 1800, d. 18 Mar 1884.
iv Benjamin Reiff, b. 30 Aug 1801, d. 2 Aug 1888, buried: in Groffdale Menn. Church Cem. Lived in West Earl Twp. Lancaster Co. PA
v Abraham Reiff. He married Veronica Hershey, b. 31 Aug 1808, d. 19 Mar 1881.
vi Joseph N. Reiff, Jr., b. 1 Oct 1807, d. 11 Jan 1853, buried: in Groffdale Menn. Cem.,.
vii Susanna Reiff, b. 27 Jun 1804. Died young.
viii Jonas N. Reiff, b. 27 Dec 1810. He married Anna M. Horst, b. 8 Jan 1813, d. 3 May 1896. Jonas died 17 Oct 1878. Lived in E. Earl Twp., Lancaster Co. PA
ix Elizabeth Reiff, b. 19 Sep 1813. Died young.
x Anna Reiff, b. 27 Jun 1816. Died young.
19. Samuel (Rife) Reiff, b. 20-Jan-1775 in West Earl Twp Lancaster Co, PA. He married Christianna Burkholder, married 1795, b. 1778 in 1856, (daughter of Christian Burkholder and Anna Groff). Samuel died 29-Sep-1858, buried: in Buried in Groffdale (Brick)Cem. Residence West Earl Twp, Lancaster, PA
i Abraham Rife/Reiff. He married Fronica Weber, married 1824.
ii Daniel Rife/Reiff.
iii Jacob Rife/Reiff.
iv Samuel Reiff.
v Elizabeth Rife/Reiff.
vi Anna Rife/Reiff.
vii Leah Rife/Reiff.
viii Anna Burkholder, b. 17 Mar 1782.
20. Barbara Sensenig. She married George Eby.
i David Eby. He married Anna.
21. Christian Zetty, b. 1764. He married Barbara Miller. Christian died 1841.
i Hannah (Citty?) Zetty, b. 1790 in Rockingham Co.,Virginia. She married Jacob Wattenbarger, married 11-Aug-1815 in Washington Co., TN, b. 1790 in Rockingham Co.,Virginia, (son of John Adam Wuertenberger, Sr. and Maria Elizabeth Ferntzeler) occupation Farmer, d. 5-Apr-1852 in Greene Co. TN. Jacob: In 1850 census was listed as 60 years old and owning real property valued at $1350.
Following recordation of deed and property transfers probably refers to him:
August 29,1853 Greene County Deeds book 27, page 21
Jacob Wattenbarger's estate to Elias Carter, Abram Weems Administrator, $935.00 paid for 186
acres of land in the State of Tennessee, Greene County, District # 11, on the waters of Lick Creek.
Adjoining the lands of Adam Wattenbarger and others, mentions a Mulberry at Grassy Creek , a
Pine on Tarrant's line and Tarrant's corner. Witnessed: James Kenney and Alphus Carter.
Registered the 6th day of Jan. 1855.
April 24,1854 Greene County Deeds book 27, page 130
Elias Carter to Emberson Carter, $1000.00 paid for 186 acres, being same tract Elias Carter
purchased of Jacob Wattenbarger's estate, in book 27,page 21, mentions on the South Side of the
Snapps Ferry Road. Witnessed: Henry Brubaker and John Brubaker. Registered the 9th day of
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|