The Barnes Family of Barnesville, Ohio.
Two professional genealogists from the Maryland Historical Society in Baltimore did much research in Mary land records, and provided such important data as the birth and marriage dates of both David Barnes and James Barnes. Further data was found in a search of Quaker records. Having documented our lineage back to 1762, Paul Barnes discontinued his efforts.
About 1967, I became interested in furthering this project and since that time, an impressive amount of work has been accomplished. The emphasis has constantly been on documentation, and only as a last resort have we used family legends. When such legend is used, in lieu of fact, the text makes it clear that it is not documented.. Further information has come to us from previously unknown members of this family, with the result that the genealogy has become far more comprehensive than originally had been planned.
There is abundant material on this family in England, and it would be possible to further trace the lineage back to ancient times. This has not been done, for our emphasis has been on the American family. There are some disappointing blanks in the descendants of James Barnes, and it is entirely possible that further information will turn up from time to time. If this occurs, the facts will be recorded and filed with this manuscript.
Again I want to assure the reader that the assembled material is largely documented. As evidence of this there is an extensive bibliography of primary sources included in this work. It has been a satisfying experience, and I feel that the facts as presented can be accepted with a high degree of confidence.
MYRON BRUCE BARNES
The derivation of the surname, Barnes, seem to stem from one or two possible sources. The Institute of American Genealogy, Chicago, in their magazine of American Genealogy #20, cites 63 references which have been studied in research on this name, They find the Name BERNEIRS near Felaise, Normandy, and relate it to the Anglo Saxon, BEORN, meaning "warrior" or nobleman. This, in turn, is traced to the Old Norse personal name, BJORN, meaning "bear"....Major Raymond C. Barnes of San Antonio, Texas, has compiled an impressive work Titled BARNES & RELATED FAMILIES (1966) have exchanged information with him on several occasions during his research. He disposed of typescripts and source records to Harold Dalton Barnes of Pittsfield, Mass. H. D. Barnes has had the work microfilmed and distributed to 15 public libraries. The index contains over 3500 Barnes names, as well as some collateral Barnes names, (635 pages). Major Barnes attributes the derivation of the name to the Norse, BJORNE--warrior.....The American Genealogical Society notes that the first appearance of the name in England is in the rolls of The Battle of Hastings (1066) when William The Conqueror bestowed the surname on a ROBERT in recognition of his valor. The name appears in The Doomsday Book which was made at Wm's. direction in 1866 as BARNE, as well as BARN.....Dame Juliana Berners, the author of the well known Boke of St. Albans, (treatise on sporting & heraldry) signed herself as both BERNS & BAINES. She contends that the name is of pre-Doomesday times and notes its wide area of distribution. There were two principle "homes", one in the south of England in Dorset Hents & Wilts, and the other in the North in Cumberland Westmoreland & Lancashire)....The Encyclopedia Britannica says the name is associated with Robin Hood, and there are references to Barnesdale (between Doncaster & Nottingham), also an earlier reference is to Barnysdale in Yngil Node (Engilwood). It is of interest to our family with its Quaker ancestor that Geo. Fox (1624-1691) the founder of the sect, preached his first sermon to Nottingham Cathedral in 1649, for which he was thrown in jail for having interrupted the Devine services. Family records frequently mention that our ancestors were followers of Geo Fox....The other possible derivation suggested by Taylor Names & Places is that the name stems from here (barley) and cites the Anglo-Saxon "bere"-aern, berean etc., with a genitive (possessive) "bernes", literally the place for a crop . "Behold, ye foul is of the air, for the sown not, net repen, nether garderen (gather) into bernes". Wiclif (1380) quotes Math. VI, 26 "Beholde the foules of the ayer, for the sowe not, nether repee, nor yet can into the barnes"....There is another fact which could well reconcile these differences of opinion. The barn or bern was used as a sotrage place for weapons (spears) for several hundred years after The Conquest....Furthermore, our own family spelled the name BAIRNS. Perhaps until after the year 1758, when Richard, David & William arrived at the Port of New York from Liverpool.
At the present time, the name BARNES ranks 87th among 216 most popular surnames in America. In England, the name is even more common in usage. Of course, the popularity of the name has presented research problems, especially when there are also so many identical "given" or Christian names.
Great Sankey is 2.5 miles west of Warrington, Lancashire , and is the nucleus of numerous branches of the Barnes family. It is 1 mile from Penketh 3 miles from Farnsworth and Bold Heath, and 5 miles from Wednesall of which are largely inhabited by Barneses, This family stems from William The Conqueror in 1066, and the holdings in Lancashire were granted by William shortly after the Conquest. At that time, Lancashire was very sparsely settled and was in the North of England in the Anglo Saxon kingdom of Northumbria, The family was of Yeoman Class, and were free men and "gentlemen". This was the highest and most respected class of the commonality. The traces of their French origin are reflected in their signatures such as William Barnes de Sankey as late as the 17th Century. Incidentally, by the 16th Century the name had acquired its modern spelling.
Caldwell writes that the family possessed large landed estates and the various lucrative offices filled by them added much to their great wealth. There is perhaps some hyperbole in this statement, but we need to realize that wealth rested largely upon land and moveables or chattel as we now call them. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, the average wage for workers was 2.5 or 3 pence a week! (Pence is the equivalent of our penny). Even royal grants or annuities would be no more than 50 pounds sterling per year, and this was considered generous. We have copies of four last wills and testaments from the early 18th Century, from about the time of the birth of David Barnes. William Barnes in his will of October 24, 1726, bequeaths five farms, as well as shops in Manchester. He gives 200 pounds each to two daughters as well as 70 g in goods.. Two other daughters who had been given marriage dowries, he leaves 100 pounds a piece, and 20 pounds in goods. Under law of primogeniture he gives his eldest son William his ancient standing goods and heirlooms "which a long time have been in the house at Great Sankey". He also leaves this William his principal tenements and massauges, as well as several 99 year lease holds. He is to inherit his mothers legacy at the time of her death. After this William's death, the estate is to revert to his son, another William and then to his first born son of lawful issue. He provides for his funeral and probate expenses.
Peter Barnes of Great Sankey, leaves lands and cottages and tenements plus mares with their colts, corn, household goods, as well as 124 pounds 2 shillings and six pence .. He leaves 5 pounds, to the burying place at-Geston Heath. He leaves several friends 10 shillings each, and a tenant in Penketh40 shillings (a shilling was 12 pence).
In 1727 Samuel Barnes, Yeoman, leaves copy hold lands, premises, and appartenances to his eldest son, Samuel, his heirs and assigns forever. To his wife, Sarah, he provides for a yearly annuity of 20 pounds. Two daughters received 100 pounds each, and to the youngest son, Ralph, the messauge and tenement "I now inhabit". He also leaves 200 pounds of lawful British money unto John Burch of' Great Sankey.
Another estimate of the affluence is the chimney tax. Chimneys had mushroomed in the England of Elizabeth I, and two meals a day expanded into three (Katherine Anthony).. In the restoration period, a tax on chimneys became a major source of revenue.
In 1666, Great Sankey is taxed for nine chimneys. The next highest number was four, and the greatest number of entries are for one chimney. The lucrative offices to which Caldwell refers seem to have been the crown appointments.. The justices of the peace,was the most important local representative of his Royal Majesty, We can conclude that the family or families were prosperous. It is of interest to know that Lancastershire was always in the gift of the Crown, and usually had no resident Duke. It will be recalled that John of Gaunt was the Duke of Lancaster, and the founder of the Lancastrian kings beginning with Henry IV, and terminating at the end of the War of the Roses, when the lines of Lancaster and York were united under Henry VII. The absence of a resident duke resulted in the high esteem and prestige to which members of the Yeoman class could attain.
Caldwell remarks that the Barneses remained loyalist during the Commonwealth, and helped in the restoration of Charles II. This is not exceptional for Cromwell was never able to subdue Lancashire, or bring it under his influence. The north and the west remained staunchly loyal and royalist.
The most distinguished member of the family was Richard Barnes, l532-1587 (time of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I). He was born at Bold Heath or Bould in the ecclastical district and village at Farnsworth, four miles from Great Sankey, All of these lands are close to the river Mersy which flows into the harbor at Liverpool 30 miles west, across the Mersy in Cheshsire lived William Smith who became a wealthy philanthropist, and founded Brasenose College, Oxford, as well as endowing a local grammar school, This Richard Barnes was given a scholarship to this grammar school, and eventually, was also given a scholarship to Brasenose. He became a clergyman, and through gifts of Elizabeth I, became Bishop of Nottingham in 1567, Bishop of Carlisle in 1570, and finally, Bishop of Durham from 1577 to 1587, one of the most important dioceses in England. His son, Barnabye, was also educated at Oxford, where he became the close friend of Robert Bevereux, later Earl of Essex who became the Queen's favorite, when he was not yet 20, and Elizabeth was 53. He eventually fell from grace and was beheaded in the Tower. Barnabye had frequently accompanied him on missions to foreign courts, especially France.But Barnabye's chief fame is as a minor Elizabethan poet, He is written up in the Encyclopedia Brittanica.
It was from this enclave of Barnes families that the three brothers, William, David, an Richard migrated in 1758. They were younger sons, and they set out by boat on the near by Mersy, sailed the 30 miles to Liverpool, where they engaged passage to New York. William remained in New York State, Richard settled first in Pennsylvania, but in a few years followed David, who had bought a small plantation in Baltimore County, Maryland, about 30 miles NW of Baltimore City, near what is now Frederick, Maryland. Richard settled and married in Baltimore. where he took the oath of loyalty during the Revolution and is paying tax for the defense of the harbor.
James Barnes -The Founder of Barnesville, Ohio
James began his independent career by raising crops on shares In the summer. He , also , had been trained as a cordwainer, and made shoes in the winter , a very important trade in that day. He began to be successful , and after his marriage to "Aunt Nancy Elizabeth Harrison ) , he rented a farm end also a grist mill .This rental probably was located on "Chews Farm" In Frederick County . Samuel and Bennett Chew had divided their acreage into lots of about 100 acres each , and leased them on a yearly basis. We find ten other Barneses who had leased land at "Chews Farm". James apparently continued as a tenant termer until about 1798 , because he does not appear In the 1890 Census for Montgomery County ( site of Barnesville , Maryland) . He does appear in the 1800 Census . He is also listed as a voter for Frederick County in the Presidential election of 1798 . His name is in sequence with David Barnes , aid Elisha Barnes . They voted for Thomas Jefferson , who was defeated by John Adams.
On July 20 , 1799 , a deed Is registered for the sale of 2 acres of land , part of a resurvey on Jeremiah's Park in Montgomery Co. Vachel and Margaret Hall sold this acreage to James for a sum of nine pounds. Three years later , on Jan. 24, 1803 ; Vachel and Margaret Hall sell James "Jeremiah's Park" , adjacent to the new town of Barnesville . Jeremiah's Park was " over a mile long", and had been surveyed for Jeremiah Hayes on Dec. 12 , 1747 . At an earlier date , on June 4 , 1800 , Lydia Bolinger of Frederick County sold to James Barnes land called Meadow Land holdings in Montgomery County... Brumbaugh end Scharf both state that James Barnes built the first house on the site of Barnesville , Maryland ... The 1800 Census lists James as a licensed merchant or storekeeper in Montgomery County. Caldwell says that James' wife acted as clerk In this store, while James made shoes .
Each of these lots contained about 2 acres . There were eight to a block , four facing Main Street , and four facing the back street ..In 1809, he erected on lot #18 , a frame store-room and dwelling, and in 1810 opened a mercantile establishment under the supervision of William Philpot . Later , he built a large end commodious house for the family. In 1812 , he moved his family to Barnesville , and resided on lot # 2 near the S.W. corner of Lincoln and Main . On Oct. 23, 1813 , he is received at Concord Meeting and on March I , 1814 granted a certificate to Stillwater .
Earlier , in 1809, he paid John and Thomas Shannon fifty dollars for clearing ten acres of land from Chestnut and Church Streets (north) to where Lincoln avenue is now located ( east ) . This was the famous orchard which early Barnesville lore speaks of so nostalgically ... In 1814 , he began the series of business ventures which resulted in the first flour mill , the saw mill , and the famous woolen mills , which prospered until just prior to the panic of 1837 . But by 1823 , he is in the tobacco business "very extensively" , and had built "an immense packing house on the site of the old Presbyterian Church ( SW corner of Chestnut & Church ) . It was later purchased by David's son , Henry T., during this period he also bought and sold ginseng for which he advertised in the St.Clairsville , Gazette . He bought and sold as high as 3000 pounds of ginseng in a single year . ( A copy of this interesting ad follows . ) "Wanted . I will give 30c per pound for merchantable dried ginseng , and 30c for snakeroot , in store goods at my store in Barnesville , and will continue to purchase until the first of December next . The ginseng must be dried in the following manner : viz , washed clean and the curle taken off and dried in the sun or on a garrett loft , it must not be dried in ovens , the quantity of ginseng I wish to purchase is 20,000 weight , and 10,000 of snakeroot . I have on hand about eight thousand worth of goods , so that any person coming with those articles may be accommodated ... James Barnes ...Barnesville , 23 Aug. 1813 ".....This handbill is endorsed by five men : James Barnes , James Rounds (tanner-preacher ) James Barnes ( son of James ) .James Finley ( circuit rider ) and James-- (torn off ) undoubtedly James Vernon who later erected the great flour and woolen mills . James continued to trade in ginseng for ten or twelve years , until the great forests were cleared away ... He , thus , had become quite prosperous through these varied enterprises .It is of interest that he had sold the St. Clairsville properties in 1817 for $1800, a sizeable sum of money in that day.
Some details concerning facts in the above summary are worth comment . The woolen Mill and flour mill were built by a joint stock company in 1815 . The woolen mill was the largest , and did the greatest variety of any similar manufacturing establishment ever erected in Belmont County . Its machinery consisted of six carding machines, two spinning jennys, two pickers , one power loom , and six hand looms , falling stocks end press . They produced many kinds of cloth : Kentucky jeans , satinettes , and cassimers , besides all the county work for the surrounding region to a distance of 20 miles. However , competition of imported fabrics and the beginning of the 1837 panics forced the closing of the mill. ( which had a STEAM engine , the first in town and built by David) about 1835 , when the company failed , and James Barnes assumed the entire indebtedness of the company , which badly damaged his fortune . The saw mill eventually replaced the flouring mill (Caldwell ) .
John Bradfield , who purchased the bankrupt firm of James Barnes & Sons , was born in York County , England in 1813, and migrated to the United States with his parents , Joseph and Isabella , in 1827. In Baltimore , they were persuaded by James Barnes’ agent to settle in Barnesville , where they bought a farm on the road between Barnesville and Hendrysburg. This farm continued to be operated by the son , John , until 1838 , when he began his business enterprises in the town . It is further interesting that Tanneyhill says that he saw Vachel Barnes' home in 1832 , which was purchased by John Bradfield when he moved into town in 1838 . Elizabeth Bradfield , John's sister , married James' son , Isaac , and became the mother of eight children . She died on Jan.l4 , 1892 and is buried on the same plot in Southern Cemetery as James et al ... It is pertinent that we comment on the portrait of "James" , which now belongs to the Barnesville Museum. Published reports had always said that "no known likeness " existed , so it was a surprise to learn ** about 1956 ** that a portrait was hanging in the old surveyor's office at Campus Maritus in Marietta . In August of 1956 we visited that museum , and noted that a placard under the painting read “William Barnes - 1772 - 1843 ) Founder of Barnesville “ Mrs. Edith S. Reiter , the curator at that time , agreed that it should read "James" , and not "William" , as the founder of Barnesville . She had the notation changed accordingly. Further research revealed that the oil portrait had been presented ( indirectly) to Campus Maritus by Miss Cornelia Wood in 1905. Her grandfather was Judge Joseph Wood , who had moved to Marietta from Bellville , (West) Virginia in 1791, and an official of Campus Maritus . He was associated in the survey of a large portion of this part of Ohio . The William Barnes was a surveyor and a "Quaker gentleman of Judge Wood's household"... With this information , we were certain that the portrait was NOT of James . James' history is documented in too great detail after 1791, to have missed any activity as a surveyor in Marietta . The portrait is signed "Hanes , Print - 1825 “.In 1825, James is well accounted for in Barnesville . He was 57 years old at that time , and the PORTRAIT is of a much younger man . By that date , the four children of James were married , and had made James a grandfather . Contemporary accounts give a detailed description of James . "He was a very commanding person . He was over six feet in height , and of portly build . His complexion was slightly florid , with auburn hair , blue eyes , and very benevolent countenance . He always. dressed in drab colored clothes , cut to the precise pattern of a Quaker costume , and always wore a broad-brimmed hat . His voice was very strong and sonorous — . He walked slowly , with deliberate and measured step , and , once seen , would never be forgotten by the beholder ".(Caldwell) The gentleman in the portrait is quite fashionably dressed , and does not fit this description. We BELIEVE that the portrait IS a WILLAM BARNES , of whom there are several during the period , but who (?) has not been documented . It is unfortunate that we have been unable to piece together more detailed information about James' children... We have referred to the oldest son , Isaac ( 1800 - 1848) and his marriage to Elizabeth Bradfield . He became the first mayor of Barnesville . We know that Harriet married William A.Shankland , and had 13 children . We know little or nothing about Vachel or the younger James . The latter could have been the candidate for Congress , 10th District , on May 13 , 1826 (St.Clairsville Gazette)
I do want to comment on the problem with Vachel . This is an unusual name , which always intrigues Maryland genealogists . It was in frequent use in the Maryland Colonial of Denton , Warfield ( produced Wallis Warfield Simpson , Ducheas of Windsom) , Howards , and the famous Dorsey family into which Davids son , Henry T. married ( first wife , Ann Dorsey of Baltimore ) . There are Vachels in the descendants of an EARLIER James Barnes who had settled in Ann Arundel County , Maryland in April of 1676 . His son , Peter , had a Vachel ) and a Peter , Jr., also had a Vachel who married Charity McDougal at the frequently mentioned Evangelical Lutheran Church in Frederick , Maryland on May 25, 1788 . We have reasons to believe that the EARLIER are cousins ,which might account for David the first settling in the adjoining Baltimore, County ( later , Frederick Co.) The name must have come into the family by marriage . However , there is a Vachel , age 43 ( born 1807 ) and a Peter, age 47 in the 1850 Census of Monroe County , Ohio . They were both born in Maryland . I suspect that these are sons of the Anne Arundel Va.. Vachel , who married in Frederick in 1788 ... There is also the Vachel Hall , who is probably the brother of David's ( Jr. ) wife , Elizabeth Hall . It was Vachel Hall and his wife who sold the Jeremiah Park property to James when he laid out Barnesville , Maryland , and it may well be. that this is the man for whom our Vachel is named ... Vachel and James wore associated with their father in the James Barnes & Son store , which was sold in 1841 , and Vachel sold his house to John Bradfield in 1838 . There was a James who was mayor of Barnesville for one month only in May 1871 . In The Centennial Booklet ( 1908) Ross V., Charles W., James C., Harry W., and Frank Barnes are listed as great grandchildren , and these were sons of either Vachel or James , but we are unable to be certain who was which . James, the elder, was certainly the most important member of the family in his generation, and before the Panic of 1837, he was considered to be a wealthy man. All the records speak of his generosities , selling land on easy terms , and freely extending credit, in accordance with his Quaker principles. However, by the time of his death, his brother, David, was much more affluent, and in the following generation the prominent member of the family are descendants of David.
David was the first born child of David Barnes, the emigrant of 1758. He was born in Prince George Parish, Frederick County, Maryland in 1761. He died at Barnesville, Ohio at age 72 in 1833, and is buried at Stillwater. A new marker has recently been placed on his grave.
He was married on Aug. 30, 1787, to Elizabeth Hall, by license, in the Evangelical Luthern Church at Frederick, Maryland. Elizabeth was the daughter of another Elizabeth Hall, widow, who married William Harrison, both of Bush Creek, in this same Evangelical Luthern Church on March 19, 1775. Banns had been published on this marriage on Feb. 26, March 5 and March 10, 1775. This means that both of the people were members of this church. Their daughter , Nancy Harrison, married James Barnes on Dec. 24, 1795 in this same church. David's marriage to Elizabeth had been witnessed by William Turner, Elizabeth Barnes, James Bird, and John Ward. Three years later, this Elise(h) was married in the same church on July 11, 1790, to Charity Folckner.
Elizabeth Hall Barnes died at Barnesville, Ohio on May 10, 1841, just three days after her half-sister, Nancy Harrison Barnes, who had died on May 7. Elizabeth would have been buried in The Church Street Cemetery, as Nancy had been. At the time this cemetery was being abandoned, all of the graves were moved, and Nancy was re-interred in Southern. However, we are unable to locate Elizabeth's grave. The Barnesville Town Clerk says that in a number of graves, the remains had completely disintegrated, so this probably accounts for our not being able to locate her grave.
David seems to have inherited his father's "small plantation", probably through laws of primogeniture which the Barnes family adhered to. This farm is now near New Market, about 15 miles east of Frederick, and would have been in the original Baltimore County. In the 1790 Census for Frederick County, David is listed as head of family, with one male over 16 which would have been his brother, James, who was not married until 1795. There are two males under 10, his son, John, born June 3, 1788, and Israel, born 1790. A daughter, listed under 16, would have been Susan, born 1789. He was still living here in the Census of 1800, but James is no longer a member of the household. (He is found in the 1800 Census in Montgomery County.) However, Sheppard presents documentary evidence that David was already in Ohio in 1799, and we have deeds of property transactions for 1798, and 1799, proving that he was disposing of his land holdings in Frederick County. He probably returned to Maryland for his family early in 1801.
There is mention of David in The Pipe Creek Meeting extant records. Unfortunately, the earlier records of this Quaker meeting were destroyed by fire. This Monthly Meeting held its first session at Bush Creek Meeting House, Dec. 19, 1772. (Elizabeth Hall and William Harrison resided at Bush Creek.) The extant records date only from 1801. This entry shows that "Solomon Shepherd, David Barnes, and Daniel Ballinger (were) appointed to a committee to unite with women in the service and report to the next meeting, Feb. 14, 1801". The final entry on David is that he "requests a Certificate to Concord Meeting, State of Ohio, May 17, 1806, granted June 14, 1806." "David Barnes having removed sometime since within the ____ of your meeting requests our Certificate to be joined thereto. We hereby inform that whilst amonst us his life and conversation was in good degree orderly, frequently attended our meetings and settled his outward affairs as for as appears, as a member of our society. We recommend him to your care, and are your loving Friends". Signed on behalf of Pipe Creek Meeting held 12 day of 6 month 1806". The Concord Monthly Meeting was established in December, 1801, by which time there were more them 800 Quakers in the Ohio Country. In the Pipe Creek records there is no mention of James, or David's wife, Elizabeth Hall Barnes, nor of his children, John, Israel, or Susan. David had been married out of church, for Elizabeth Hall belonged to the Evangel Luthern Church, in which David & she were married. Nor are these individuals mentioned on the Certificate of Transfer to Concord Meeting. (Pipe Creek records always name husband, wife and children. For example, "Robert Plummer, wife Rachel, children Elizabeth, John, and Abraham".)
David is listed In the Frederick County Poll Book for the Presidential Election of 1796. Also, listed are James Barnes, his brother, and Elisha, probably a second brother. (See discussion under Abel Barnes.) They voted for Thomas Jefferson who was defeated by John Adams (Brombaugh on June 9, 1795, the following deed is recorded in the Frederick County, Maryland Land Records. (liber #WR 13, FO 332) Film (WK 356-57). 1794-6
At the request of David Barnes, the following Deed was recorded 9 June 1795.
To wit-This Indenture-17 March 1795 William Plummer of Frederick Co., Md.--and David Barnes of County & State (same)-Witnesseth--said Wm. Plummer for and in consideration of yearly rents and covenants hereafter mentioned and contained on the part of the said David Barnes his heirs, Execute Administrators and Assigns to be kept and obeyed--hath given , granted and let and by presents the said William Plummer deth for himself, his heirs and assigns give, grant let and confirm unto the said David Barnes his heirs--the following Lott of ground in Plummer Part of New Market being part of a Tract called Hunting Lott and part of a Tract called Dorsey's Partnership situated in Frederick Co. and State ofsd Wis Lot #25 together with all appurtenances thereto belonging to build on and cultivate said lot--hereby leased from this day of date hereof for and during the full term of 99 years--and Renewable forever unto the said David Barnes his heirs--forever--on this Consideration yeilding and paying for said Lott unto the said Wm. Plummer his heirs--the paying for said Lott unto the said Wm. Plummer his heirs--the sum of 5 shillings current money on the first day of May annually.
Which Deed was endorsed to wit On the 3? (5) day of March, 1795 same Wm. Plummer before us two Justices of the Peace for Frederick Co., and acknowledged--according to Law. Jacob Young, George Murdock
In 1798 David began to sell his landed holdings. Frederick County Land Records-WR #17, Foo 32-4, 1798, record this deed:
Frederick County, Maryland. Land Record WR#14, Fos. 32-4 At the request of William Wood, the following Deed was Recorded June 1, 1798. To wit, This Indenture made this 28th day of the 5th month 1798 Between William Plummer and David Barnes both of Frederick County,State of Maryland on the part of Wm. Wood of the County and State afsd, of the part Witnesseth that said William Plummer and David Barnes for and in consideration of L210S-money to them in hand paid by Wm. Wood the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, hath bargained...sold... confirmed--and by these presents doth bargain, sell, release alien (?) and confirm unto the said Wm. Wood, his heirs... a part Lott #25 in Plummer's part of New Market in the County & State afsd (as the Plot will show (sic) on Record)...(description of the boundaries)..To have --and To Hold the afsd Lott and improve ments of all sorts thereto profits and advantages thereto be longing with the said Wm. Wood his heirs...and for no other pur pose whatsoever. And the said Wm. Plummer & David Barnes for themselves and their heirs Doth Covenant with the said W. Wood his heirs..to warrant and defend the said part of a Lott and appurtenances unto the said Wm. Wood, his Heirs...against themselves. The said Wm. Plummer & David Barnes or their heirs--and against all persons claiming under them or either of them. In witness whereof the said Wm. Plummer and David Barnes hath thereunto set their hands and seals the day & year first above written.
Which was endorsed to wit On the 28th Day-May 1798 Came Wm. Plummer & David Barnes before us two Justices of The Peace-Frederick Co., and acknowledged the within instrument of writing to be their Act & Deed.....At the same time came Rachel Plummer... separate-out of the hearing of her said husband did acknowledge that she released all her rights of Dowery...of her own free will..according to Act of Assembly Acknowledged before B. Brashaer (J. Gist)
At the same time, in Liber WR #17, Fo 33-4 this deed is recorded for Lot #25 in New Market...Examined & Deld Grantee-January 23, 1799 ...At the request of Thomas Russell the following Deed was Recorded June 2, 1798.
To wit this indenture made 26th, May 1798 between William Plummer and David Barnes of Frederick Co.,State of Maryland of the pirdt pert and Thomas Russell of the county & state afsd of the other part Witnesseth that the said Wm. Plummer and David Barnes for and in consideration of L4 38 & 8d currency money to them in hand paid by the said Thomas Russell the receipt..is hereby acknowledged hath bargained, sold, released....and doth bargain, sell, release...unto Thomas Russell, his Heirs and Assigns Lot#25 in Plummer Pert of New Market, the County & State afsd (as the plot will show on record) except 22 feet on the street the E side & 49 & ½ on Sixth (?) Alley, To have & To Hold afsd Pert of a Lott and improvements of all sorts, rents, profits.... to said Thomas Russell, his heirs..and for no other purpose whatsoever. And the said Wm. Plummer and said David Barnes for themselves, their heirs...Doth Covenent...to warrant and de- fend the said part of Lott and paaurtenences...against them- selves..and all persons claiming....In witness...set their hands and seals the day and year above written. Signed sealed...
Delivered in the presence of Bell Brashear (J. Gist)....Which was they endorsed to wit: Frederick County-On the 26th of May, 1798 Then came William Plummer and David Barnes before us two Justices of The Peace and acknowledged the within Instrument of Writing to be their Act and Deed...according to the true intent and meaning thereof.
On the day of the date first within written came Rachel Plummer and being by us privately examined apart from and out of hear- ing of her said husband did voluntarily relinquish unto the within mentioned Thomas Russell, his heirs...all right and title and claim of Dower of and to the within mentioned part of a Lott of Land of her own free will and accord and not through fear of ill usage or the displeasure of her said husband. Acknowleged before B. Brashear (J. Gist).
This William Plummer is later in Barnesville, Ohio, as are Elizabeth and John.
David did not remove to Montgomery County, and Barnesville, Maryland, and there is valid evidence that he preceded James to Ohio. He was certainly in Ohio at the time that James was disposing of his holdings in and around Barnesville, Montgomery Co., Md. Again, as in Maryland, David is a landed proprietor and engaged in agriculture. His daughter, Dorces, had probably been born in Maryland, but his fifth child, Henry T. Barnes, was born in St. Clairsville, Ohio on Feb. 4, 1805. Ann was probably born the following year, and his youngest child, Allen, was born in St. Clairsville in 1807.
According to Sheppard, David remained in St. Clairsville until about 1815, when he removed to Barnesville at the urging of James. At this time, James had erected the first flour mill and the woolen mill, and David, being an experienced millwright came to set-up machinery in all the surrounding flour mills. The Centennial Book also comments on this occupation. He soon acquired considerable land holdings in Warren Township, and developed a very large farm adjacent West to what became the Stillwater Monthly Meeting. In the Census of 1820 "David Barnes, James' brother and collaborator is living with his family on their farms just east of Barnesville. By this time, John and Israel are adults and have acquired their own farms. John's oldest child Esther A. had been born in Barnsville in 1817. In the 1850 Census, John's farm is located in Richland Twp. " His wife, Ann, son George, b. Nov. 20, 1827, Sarah, b 1830 and Louisa b. 1835 are still living at home. John's estate is estimated at $6000 to $8000.
David had also invested in the "several business ventures" engaged in by James. He built a town house on East Main Street, which property was owned and occupied by the Eisenburg family in 1908. However, David had a typically English aversion to trade and restricted himself to the life of the landed gentry. His farm was divided between his younger sons, Henry T. and Allen at the time of his death.
David transferred from Concord Meeting on Jan. 24, 1822, at which time he was granted a Certificate of Transfer to Stillwater from Plainfield (Belmont Co.-Hinshaw) On March 23, 1822, David was received on Certificate at Stillwater. The only other member of his family who is on record at Stillwater is his daughter, Susan, who married William Gregg of that Meeting on Dec. 22, 1812. They soon moved to Iowa. William Gregg was a son of Stephen and Asenath Gregg (nee Mead). They were born and married in Loudon County, Virginia and had removed to near Belmont, Belmont County, Ohio in 1801. Stephen later married Hannah Hirst, who had migrated from Loudon Co., Va to Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson Co., Ohio, in 1816, and later moved to Flushing in Belmont County in 1817.
A sister of Wm. Gregg, Lucinda, married Jacob Lewis, who had settled in Smith Township, Belmont Co., in 1822, where he purchased the old Levi Pickering mills, later known as the Lewis Mills. All the Greggs were Staunch Quakers.
David's daughter, Dorces, married Brewly Alexander, and his daughter, Ann, married Henry Hilton of Baltimore.
Although he had suffered financial losses as a result of the failure of the woolen mill and other ventures of James', he was still prosperous, and had an estate to leave his children at his death in 1833. Stillwater records show "Sept. 30, 1833, David died and buried at Stillwater". David was an aloof and retiring person. He avoided public affairs and the world of trade, and preferred a retired life, as had his English ancestors. It seems that he was much the same disposition as had been his father, who also had avoided public affairs.
A number of pieces of furniture from the houses of David Barnes have come into the possession of Paul & Myron Barnes, some from inheritance, and several by purchases from interim owners. There is a pair of mahogany candle stands of 18th century workmanship, and a mahogany Queen Ann gate-leg table with four legs, two of which swing under drop leaves. There are six dining room chairs in mahogany of Sherato style, one, and arm chair. These pieces are probably from Philadelphia cabinet maker, working in the period of 1780-1800. Also, there are two mahogany Empire Console tables with base mirrors, and a matching Empire sewing table. Mrs. Ralph Harrison (Jean Hogue) has the Empire sofa, and Raymond Barnes has the Empire card table. These pieces are in Barnsville. The most interesting single piece is a mahogany tilt-top mounted on a bird's nest. The supporting column is carved with drapery, and the three legs terminate in claw & ball feet. Obviously, it is another piece from a Philadelphia cabinet maker.
Henry T. Barnes 1805-1873
Henry T Barnes was born near Stubenville, on Feb. 4, 1805, and was David Barnes's 5th child. He began his business career in partnership with his brother Allen, in the tobacco business. He later terminated this partnership when he purchased the tobacco packing house which his uncle James Barnes, had erected in 1826 on the present site of the Presbyterian Church. Later Henry T. removed his business to a site west of the church. He married Ann Mariah Dorsey on October 20, 1834. She was from Baltimore and a member of a family which had been in the Commonwealth of Maryland since the days of its founding. The Dorsey family produced many leaders in Maryland, and Ann's family had moved to Baltimore from their nearby estate in Ann Arundel County. Ann died February 26, 1853, and is buried in the Northern Cemetery.
After 8 years, Henry T. married Mrs. Hannah Price Watson of Norristown, in 1861. She was the widow of John T. Watson, a member of the family which came to Ohio in 1798. She survived Henry T. for many years, and continued to live in the house on West Main St. at the N.W. corner of Chestnut...This home had been built by Henry T during his first marriage, and is still standing. At that time, he owned most of the block bounded by West Main, Chestnut, Church & Broadway. A two story frame house was built between the original and Chestnut St.. This house, also is still standing, but both have been repeatedly altered, and converted to business rooms. My parents Allen & Grace, were living on an apartment on the second floor of this house (frame) at the time their first child, Roy Owen, was born in 1899. Henry T, prospered as tobacco broker until his death. The business later became Howard & Watson, the latter being a son of Hannah by her first marriage. Henry T. also owned farms south and east of town. He is remembered for his distinguished appearance and courtly manner. He died on January 18, 1873.
An only child, Annie Lee, was born to this second marriage. She was married to William Hoffman. An interesting episode is associated with Hannah Price Barnes. At the time the "new" High School on Church St. was being built, the high school classes met in the third floor above the Bradfield Bank. It was necessary to carry water from the well in the rear of Mrs. Barnes's house to use in the classroom. Both Henry T. and Hannah are buried at Northern cemetery.
Allen the youngest child of David & Elizabeth, was born near St. Clairsville, Ohio in 1807, and died in Barnesville in 1881. He was raised on his father’s farm near St. Clairsville. By his early teens, he was clerking in his uncle’s store - James Barnes & Sons in Barnesville. David had moved to Barnesville about 1814, and had established his family on the farm adjacent west of Stillwater.
At age 20, on Dec. 16, 1827, Allen married Elizabeth Ensminger, daughter of John and Phoebe Ensminger. John had been born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania on Jan. 5, 1780, and was baptized at the nearest German Church in Hegerstown, Maryland. Raymond M. Bell of Washington and Jefferson College, has compiled a genealogy of the Ensminger family, which is carried back to old Alsace in France. The marriage of Allen Barnes to Elizabeth is documented in the genealogy. Phoebe had been born in New York State. There were a number of other Ensmingers active in Belmont County. In 1820 Census for Warren Township, we find John Warren Ensminger, his son John Jr.. In the 1850 Census John is age 71, his wife Phoebe, age 61. Wm. Ensminger is an engineer b. in Pennsylvania. His household includes Sarah, age 35, Emma 16, and John 13. There is a reference to Wm. McKendree, Baggage master for B. & O. R.R.. A Polly Ensminger was a witness to a marriage of Susan Barnes to Wm. Gregg on Dec. 22, 1812. Susan was Allen Barnes’ sister, and this Polly was probably a sister of Allen’s wife, Elizabeth Ensminger. Mrs. A.C. Damsel of the ICE CREAM family was a Zelle Ensminger...The Ensminger became Methodists, and after his marriage, Allen probably joined the church. The only one of David’s children who is documented a Quaker is Susan (Allen’s sister), who married William Gregg at Stillwater on Dec. 22, 1812, and later migrated to Iowa. We have an interesting memoir written by Kate Barnes Hibbard. She recalls a visit to her grandparents farm house (Allen’s) about 1878 to meet his sister, Susan Gregg of Iowa. Kate and her brothers, James and Allen were in the parlor “trying-on Susan’s Quaker bonnet and shawl”. She adds that this is her “ earliest recollection of a Quaker outfit”. She concludes that the children had to eat at the “second table”.
Allen prospered, and at one time owned all the land between W. Thormberry’s (1908) and the first crossing of the B. & O. R.R.. He, also, had a farm adjoining his brother, Henry T’s, south of town. He lived in the house which had been built his father, David. In the 1850 Census, Allen is living East of town, as his sons on there farms. He and his brother, Henry T. were also in the tobacco business, owning several warehouses. Under the floor of one of the barns on Allen’s farm was an excavation which served as an underground railroad station, for he was an ardent abolitionist. My father remembered the farm house as a large, square brick, with rooms on each side of the center hall. Later Allen and his son, George engaged in the manufacture of brick on this farm. Sheppard recounts that they “baked many kilms”. The excavation for the clay are still in evidence, and the bricks for the present Stillwater Meeting House were made there.
Sometime between 1850-1860, Allen built the large house on East Main Street and moved his family to town. This house is still standing just east of the new library at Main & S. Lincoln. Blanche Barnes Conner recalls this house. The entrance had a pair of curving stone steps with iron railings going up on each side to a stone landing. There were a doorway with white pilasters. The interior was “very fine, with beautiful woodwork and many large rooms”. The 1860 Census showed that Allen had an estate of $7000 (real estate) and $4000 in personal assets, a considerable sum for those days...Soon after moving into town, Allen established a drygoods business in a building then standing where P.B. Worthington’s store was later located. At this time, Allen and his brother, Henry T., were very active in politics. The family had been Whigs for generations. In the election of 1799, David and James had voted for Thomas Jefferson, who was defeated by John Adams. William Henry Harrison, and Henry Clay were both leaders of the Whig party were acquaintances and Henry T’s & Allen’s warehouse was the place of a rally addressed by Henry Clay. In 1856, Allen identified himself with the Republican party in Southeastern Ohio. It is interesting to note that Allen named three of his sons after prominent Whigs- William Henry Harrison Barnes, (Zachary) Taylor Barnes, and his twin brother, (Winfield) Scott Barnes...For some years prior to his death in 1881, Allen was practically an invalid, and was unable to continue his affairs. However, he had sufficient means to bequeath legacies to his widow and his living children at the time of his death. Three sons had preceded him in death. He was probably the most important member of his family in his generation, and is included in The Compendium of American Genealogy, F.A. Virkus, Vol. VLL, Chicago, 1942.
In the 1880 Census, Elizabeth is still living on East Main Street at age 73. In her household are the twins, Scott & Taylor, both age 30, the only daughter, Euphemia, age 28, and Daisy - Euphemia’s daughter, age 7...Allen had been one of the first citizens to buy lots on Southern Cemetery in 1858. He and Elizabeth are buried here, with other members of the family.
Paul & Myron Barnes (great grandsons of Allen) have several pieces of furniture from the East Main Street house. Of special interest is a large portrait of Allen, painted in Philadelphia about 1850. This and articles of furniture were gifts to our mother from Euphemia Barnes Piper. There is also a very beautiful pair of small oil portraits of Henry T. Barnes and his first wife, Ann Dorsey of Baltimore, attributed to John Neagle (Philadelphia about 1834). These were given to our mother by Hannah Price Watson, the second wife of Henry T.. They were in very dilapidated condition, but were carefully restored at the Cleveland Institute of Art in 1954 by Peter Paul Dubeniewicz, and are considered museum celibre...There is complete eight piece parlor set in walnut and bottle green velvet, two cherry gate-leg tables, one of which is quite rare with eight legs. A four poster rope bed, and a cherry chest, as well as four piece authentic Jenny Lind Mahogany bedroom set are from the period prior to 1850. There is a walnut dresser, wash stand, end bed, only 4 feet high of the 1850 period...Much of this came into the possession through Nancy DeNoon Barnes, who lived in Allen’s household as a widow of his son, Wm. H., with three children. She had removed to Tiffin, Ohio, and died there in 1909. Also there are a number of occasional chairs, small tables, as well as pieces of glass and chime, candlesticks, and oil lamps. All of this comprise the basic furnishing of the Barnes house in Tiffin, Ohio, which has been restored to its 1840 Federal Style.
John Barnes was born April 15, 1833. He was a farmer and married Laura B. Dallas. Another son, David, born in 1835, died before adulthood. He is in the census of 1850. Hinshaw says that David died in 1852...James, born 1837, was killed in the Civil War in 1864. William Henry Harrison, born 1840, is written-up separately...Scott and Taylor were twins, born in 1850. Scott married Martha Burgeee (Note: not sure on spelling), June 17, 1891. Their sons, Winfield Scott, Jr., born May 5, 1884 and died April 18, 1949. He had two children, Mildred and William - who died of a heart attack. The other twin, Taylor married Jennie Morgan April 21, 1895. Their son, Clyde (Chimey) had a son, Freddie. Taylor’s daughter, Alice (Allie) married Wilbur Nace. Euphemia, Allen’s only daughter married James Peeper. Eupemia’s natural daughter Daisy, married Albert Shaffer on Oct. 3, 1900. They had a son, Allen, born 1901 who was talented musically (violin).
DeNoon ( Denune ) Family
The son of this marriage was Mareen “the younger” - 1680 - 1741. He lived at “Great Marsh”, Prince George’s Co., Maryland, and married Elizabeth Jacob in 1701. Elizabeth was the daughter of Captain John Jacob, who had come from England in 1665, and was a tobacco planter in Anne Arundel County, he had married Ann Cheyney, daughter of Richard. Captain John had distinguished service in the Revolution, 1775- 1781. Mareen “the younger” and Elizabeth Jacob had a daughter, Elizabeth, born in 1706.
This Elizabeth became the wife of William Denune (1700 -1756) who had come from France in 1721. He was Huguenot, and had been graduated from the Medical School of Paris in 1721. William became a prominent physician in Queen Anne County, Md. In Prince George’s County, their son William Jr., was born. His first marriage was to Elizabeth Forrest in 1762, and after her death, he married his cousin, Lucy D. Duvall. Their son, Elias, born in 1797, and later moved to Ohio. He died in 1855. They had two children, Emanuel, and Elias, Jr. Emanuel married Rachel Melatt, and they lived in Salesville. He died in 1861.
They had four daughters, Mary J., became Mrs. Kyle and lived in Athens, Ohio, Mame married Wm. McKnight of Barnesvilee, and Kate became Mrs. Reimer, also of Barnesville. Our Grandmother Nancy, born in 1846, married William Henry Harrison Barnes on March, 17, 1863. All the DeNoon children were born in Salesville...Emanuel’s brother, Elias, lived in Barnesville and is buried in Southern Cemetery. He was born in 1828 and died in 1906. His wife, Mary, 1830 - 1900 is also buried there, as is their child, Margaret, who died May 27, 1897. There is also an Orpha Denoon 1820 - 1904, and a Samuel DeNoon 1820 - 1904, both in Greenmount. There was a Clyde W. DeNoon graduated from Barnesville H.S. in 1903.
Our Grandmother Nancy was educated at the Old Quaker Academy, which had opened in 1840 in a new brick building on East Main St., at Knob Hill. It was during this time that she met William Henry Harrison Barnes. The Academy had been Erected on Barnes property and was documented by ______? property and surrounded by Barnes farms.
This lineage is documented in Vol. 7 “Compendium of American Genealogy” edited by Fred Virkus.
Children of William Henry Harrison Barnes
Francis Charles (Hamilton) Hibbard-7-18-1892, became an accountant and tax consultant, as well as a professional genealogist. He lived most of his life in Barnesville. He is currently living with his two sisters in Pittsburgh, Pa., and has contributed numerous articles to historical and genealogical publications, as well as having compiled a definitive genealogy of the descendants of John Ogle. He was instrumental in having the remains of James Barnes returned to Barnesville.
Julie Katherine, 5-28-1896-married Groved Cleveland McKelvey in Wheeling . Her husband (11-8-1892--5-27-1957) owned and operated a dairy farm near Lamira, Belmont Co. She currently resides in Pittsburgh. No issue....John Edmund (11-22-1897--10-4-1969) married Ellen Lucille Lynch. He was employed as a manager for Remington Rand Co., in various cities. He died in Florida, and was buried in Penn. No issue...Sarah(1-5-1902). After graduation from high school became a dental technician. She was married on 10-27-1921 to Williard Brown Trenner. Sarah is also residing in Pittsburgh. She has a daughter, Julia (8-21-1922) in Cambridge), who married Walter Patterson Foust Jr. Her children are Walter Patterson Foust, III, (5-10-1946, Pittsburgh), John Brooks, (9-1-1951, Pittsburgh) and Nancy Hibbard (8-28-1958, Pittsburgh). Walter Foust has a daughter (4-2-1948, Pittsburgh) who married Joseph J. Wright, Pittsburgh...James Barnes (1865-1943). James was married to Margaret (Meg) Hardesty (1870-1952) of a pioneer Ohio family. During most of his life, James was a farmer. He owned and operated a farm about a mile south on Lincoln Avenue (Water Works Road), where he specialized in raising melons and vegetables, which he sold from house to house from his wagon. They had ten children, all born, raised, and educated in Barnesville. Addie (6-7-1888) was a school teacher in the Barnesville schools. She married Raymond Morris, who was a photographer and lived in Woodsfield, and later in Mt. Vernon. She became a house mother at Bethany College after Raymond’s death. They are both buried in Mt. Vernon. There were three children, , who married a Cline, Nina, who married a Baldwin, and Hugh. Blanche Anna was born 9-7-1890, and taught school in Barnesville before her marriage to K. R. (Jack) Conner. They resided in Coshocton for many years, where Jack was co-owner with his brother, Paul, of a diary products business. They had no children. Blanche continues to reside in Coshocton (1972). Lillian was born 11-2-1892 and died at Barnesville on 10-13-1960. Her first marriage was to Mellow w. Hogue, and there are two children of this marriage, James who lives in Michigan, and Jean who is married to Ralph Harrison and lives in Barnesville. After a divorce, Lillian married Evard Wisler in Detroit. After his retirement they moved to Barnesville where they both died. William was born 4-1-1894. He married Rose Rouble, and they have lived in Canton for many years. He was a machinist. They had two daughters, Edith and Eleanor and one son, James, who lives in Louisville, Ohio. James has a son, James, and two daughters, Linda and Bessie. Martha 2-14-1897 and was married to Glen Read. They have always lived in Woodsfield. They had twin daughters born 11-6-1921, Martha Jean and Mary Eleanor. Martha Jean Read married Jerry Tipton. Their only child, Jill, who lives in Ann Arbor, Michigan, is married to James Wilke. The other twin, Mary Eleanor, married Jack Albert Moore, and currently lives in Memphis. They have twins, James Reed Moore and John Donald Moore, Nancy Jean, Thomas Raymond, Julie Ann, and David William. Martha and Glen Reed also have a son Glen Wm. Reed II, born 12-2-1928. He is married to Barbara Carson, and they live in Newark, Ohio where he owns three drug stores. Their children are Jeffrey William, Kevin William, and Shanna Louise. Allen Barnes was born 8-20-1898, and died in Barnesville in 1961. He married Nellie Hatcher. They had two daughters, Nancy and Ellen. Allen lived in Canton and was employed in the personnel department of the Hoover Co. Charles Barnes was born 5-16-1901 and died in 1941. He married Gladys Neisz and their children are Kenneth, Vernon, Lillian, and Virginia. Charles was a carpenter in Barnesville until his death. Kenneth is a ranch owner in Washington. Vernon lives in Cincinnati. The widow of Charles lives on the old James Barnes farm south of town, which Charles had owned. Raymond was born 12-14-1904 and was a highly successful career man and eventually a ship engineer in the Merchant Marine and the U. S. Navy. He retired to Barnesville, where he married Katherine Livingston. They have no children. Margaret Nancy was born 10-23-1908. After her graduation from high school, she worked in The First National Bank, before her marriage to John Llewellyn Jones of Tennessee. She continued to work in banking in Cleveland, Tennessee where they reside. No children. Robert was born 5- -1911. He has had several marriages. His oldest son is Reed, who was later adopted by his step-father, Chauves. There is a second son, David, who lives in Amherst, Ohio. Robert has been associated in Industrial Cafeterias. His present location is not known.
The Tucker family had moved to Barnesville in 1885. The father, Henry Owen, was descended from the Tucker family who were farmers near Hopedale and Tippecanoe in Harrison County. After the death of his father, she eventually remarried a Wilson from the same county. Henry Owen, with his brother, James, went to the Montana gold fields, where James remained, and established himself as a rancher. Another brother, Francis (Frank), served in The Civil War, and his descendants still live at Tippecanoe.
Owen married Nancy Howell, whose parents were Joseph and Polly Perry Howell. The Howells were well known in Harrison County, and had farms near Cadiz, New Athens, and Hopedale. Polly Perry was from a pioneer family in Harrison County, and was an aunt of Judge Perry of Cadiz. Owen and Nancy Tucker lived in Uhrichsville and Cadiz before moving to Barnesville in 1885 where he opened a grocery store and later operated a livery as well as buying and selling horses.
Allen and Grace Barnes moved to Tiffin, Ohio in 1894, where Allen had accepted employment with the Bf. Cockaine Cigar Manufacturing Co. Later, he became associated with the William H. Kildow Company, a much larger firm. The Kildows were from Bethesda (near Barnesville) and had been business acquaintances of Allen’s Grandfather Allen. Except for a brief period of operating his own but not prosperous business, he was associated with the Kildow firm until his retirement.
Allen and Grace became the parents of four sons. Roy, the oldest, will be discussed separately, for the lineage moves to his children. Paul Allen, the second son, was born in Tiffin on July 2, 1895. He attended Heidelberg College for one year (1914) and then transferred to The Cincinnati College of Music, from which he received a B . Later, 1932, he received a M.A. Degree from Western College, and at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. From 1925 to 1960, he taught in The Cleveland Public Schools-Choral Music and English. Later, he was on the English Faculty at John Carroll University until 1967. During W.W.I, he served with the 26th (Yankee Division) in France, and saw active service in The Mouse-Argonne offensive at St. Mihiel. He was gassed near Verdun and hospitalized at Limoges, France at the time of The Armistice.
Myron Bruce was born in Tiffin on October 23, 1906. He received a B.A. degree from Heidelberg College in 1928, and a B. Mas . Degree from Heidelberg in 1931. In 1938, he received a M.A. degree from Western Reserve University. He taught English, Latin, and French in private schools in Louisville, Ky., Charlotte Hall, Maryland, and Park School in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. He taught on the English Faculty at Cleveland College, and for twenty years at Fenn College, Cleveland. From 1947 to his retirement in 1966, he was a counseling psychologist in the rehabilitation program of The Veterans Administration. He served in The U. S. Army for 48 months during W.W.II. He was commissioned a lieutenant in the Adjutant General’s Department at Fort Washington, Maryland in May 1943. The greater part of his service was in Headquarters, Third Service Commend, Baltimore, and The Pentagon.
Robert Earl, was born in Tiffin on May 9, 1912. He attended Heidelberg College for one year, at which time he was married to Hilda Walk of Tiffin, Ohio. They had one daughter, Nancy, born March 20, 1932. He died in October, 1947. Nancy was raised and educated in Toledo, and completed a course at Davis Business College before her marriage to Robert Kowalski of Toledo. He is employed by The New York Central R. R. They have six children, Robert, Jr., Donald, David, Karen Lynn, Mark Alan, and Rich Patrick. Robert Earl was never occupationally classified because of chronic illness.
The Barnes Family-Allen 2d & Grace Tucker-Roy Owen Barnes-Florine King
The King family had been pioneers in Seneca County, Ohio. Lawrence and Bridget (Conners) King were natives of County Kerry, Ireland of the parish of Duagh. In 1841, they migrated with an infant son, Timothy, to Ohio. They had ten children born in Tiffin, the youngest being David, who with his brother Lawrence went to Republic, Missouri where they established a general merchandise business. David (Dave) married Genevieve Cook, a daughter of William and Susan Cook. They had 5 children Margaret, Florine, David, Everett, William, and Gerald.
PARAGRAGH CUT OUT--HAD LIVING DESCENDANTS IN IT..
In a little over two hundred years, the Barnes family (scions of David 1st) has moved from England to Maryland, to Ohio, and on to Texas. Several sons of the sixth generation are still in Ohio, but those who are married have no male issue, so one can expect this Pioneer Ohio Family to become extinct in Ohio (1972) by the next generation.
The Howells stem from John Howell, who died in 1842. He was from an old family of Virginia, which had migrated from England several generations before The Revolution. While still in Virginia, John Howell married Eleanor Mercer of the state. She died in 1876. John Howell registered land patents from the Federal Government, and settled in Belmont County, Ohio, in Flushing Township. He developed this farm into one of the largest and best in the county, and a number of Howells still live and own farms in the vicinity of Flushing. Cadis, in Harrison County, was laid out in 1804, and we find that Abel Howell of Belmont County registered land there on Dec. 4, 1809, and again on Oct. 10, 1831. John Howell, also from Flushing, registered land in Cadis on Jan. 20, 1812, and Seth Howell of Pittsburgh, registered land in Cadis on Dec. 9, 1819. Thus, the members of the Flushing family were moving to Cadis (in & near) which was the principal town of the county. This John Howell of Cadis was a son of the John in Flushing. There were nine other children of John & Eleanor-Benjamin, Isaac, ,Herman, Melinda, Emily, Ingabe, Rhoda, and Lydia Ann. The original John was a Whig, and his family belonged to the Society of Friends. He and Eleanor are buried in the cemetery at Flushing. Hiram Howell, the fourth born to John & Eleanor arrived in Flushing on April, 1820. He lived in the home of his birth until his death. In 1844, he married Elisa Kerk, daughter of Robert Kerk of Belmont County. There were three children-Joshua, (who died of wounds received at Spotssylvania in 1864), J. G., (will be discussed later), and Elisa, (named for Hirem’s wife, who died in 1852. In 1855, Hirem married a second time to a Martha. Their children were, , J.A., Laura, Addis, Emily, & Stella. Hiram was active in politics, and held various elective offices. He was a prosperous farmer. J. G. Howell, a son of the first marriage, was born in 1847 and educated in local schools as well as at the Hopedale Academy. He taught school for several years in Belmont County, but in 1875, he entered the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati, from which he was graduated as a M. D. In 1877. In 1879, he married Mary Knox, daughter of W.W. Knox of Freeport, Ohio. Their children were Nellie, Bertha, Ada L., and Marion G. Dr. Howell was a highly successful practitioner, and became a member of the Board of Examiners for pension claimants. He was a staunch and prominent Republican, and belonged to The Methodist Episcopal Church.
Another grandson of the original settler, John Howell, was Joseph, who married Polly Perry in Cadis on April 12, 1838. He and Mary (Polly) eventually purchased a farm at Hopedale, where they lived until his death. They will be discussed in detail in connection with their daughter, Nancy Maria Howell, who married Henry Owen Tucker.
William & Elizabeth were the parents of six children-John H. (a Civil War veteran died 1911), James A. (died 1908), Albert K. (died 1912), Samuel K. (died in infancy), Joseph d. , William T. William T. completed the local schools and by studying at home and reciting on Saturdays at Hopedale Academy, completed a college course. From 1875 to 1887, he taught school. He organized the Jewett High School. He was the first resident of Harrison County to receive a state certificate in Education. He studied law at home, and under the tutorage of John C. Givin and John N. Garvin in Cadiz, and on March 7, 1887, he was admitted to the bar in The Supreme Court of Ohio, receiving the second highest honor in his class. In 1890, he opened his own law office in Cadiz. In 1893, he was elected prosecuting attorney, in which office he served until Jan. 1900. In 1912, he was elected Probate Judge, in which capacity he continued until 1925. He was an active Republican, and was frequently a campaign speaker. He was a member of The Masonic Lodge, The Knights Templar, and The Shrine. He also belonged to The Odd Fellows, The K of P’s, and The Sons of Veterans. Judge Perry married Mary J. Blackburn in 1878. Her parents were John H. and Addie Granville Blackburn of Tappen. The Judge & Mary had four children-William Clyde (became a public accountant in Akron), and Charles B., who became an attorney in Newton Falls. John Linton moved to Oklahoma, Mary E. married E.R. Hoagland of Uhrbehville. There were four grandchildren.
Judge Perry’s Aunt Polly (Mary)-6/24/1814 d. 5/9/1884, married Joseph Howell (6/24/1811-9/21/1884). They were married by Sam Morehead, Justice of the Peace on April 12, 1838. Joseph’s brother, William, had been married by John Cardwell, J.P. on Jan. 18 of the same year. Both of these marriages were performed in Cadiz. Joseph & Polly settled on a farm near Hopedale, where they lived throughout their lives. Mother (Grace Tucker Barnes) always referred to this farm in extravagant terms. Besides their crops, cattle & sheep, they raised turkeys, and Polly always had several peacocks. It was on this place that Polly wove the very beautiful coverlet in the Boston Town pattern which was eventually inherited by mother, and which we still have. The Howells had other property, including a frame cottage in Urichsville, which Polly gave to her daughter, Nancy Tucker. The Howells had five children - Emily died in 1850 at the age of 19 months, and is buried at ?ckerson. Another daughter, Jane, married Dodd Morris and bore one daughter, Emma, who married William Pfeiffer, and eventually moved to Akron, where Pfeiffer taught school. Dodd Morris was in Montana with Henry Owen Tucker and James Tucker in the 60's. Dodd died en route back to Ohio and is buried in St. Louis. His widow, Emma, married a John Brown and moved to Denver where they owned a hotel (not the Brown Palace)...A second daughter, Elizabeth, married a Mckee and lived in Commerstown. Polly’s son, Joseph Howell, lived just north of Cadiz and was still living in 1914, he had a son, Albert, who moved to Wheeling.
The youngest child was Nancy Maria (1844-1913) who married Henry Owen Tucker (1840-1912) and will be discussed later. Joseph & Polly both died near Hopedale in 1844. Polly died on May 9, and Joseph on Sept. 21. They are buried in Greenwood, 2 miles S.E. of Hopedale. The early histories of S.E. Ohio comment on the rich dark soil, and the abundant water which made for very prosperous farms in and near Hopedale, Green Township. Unfortunately, this land has been ruined by strip mining, and is desolate nowadays. It has not been possible to definitely locate the old farm holdings.
By her marriage to Wilson, Mary Gardner had three sons and a daughter, Elizabeth-Aunt Lib, who married a McCue. The oldest son was Thomas. There, also, were twins, Dave & John. Dave became a professional photographer, and “took pictures at fairs”. John had a grocery in West Chester, and walked via the Stillwater Trail to New Athens to buy supplies. Later, he moved to Akron where he owned another grocery. The youngest son, Phillip, became a farmer on the Forty Acres, and in her old age, Mary Gardner Tucker Wilson lived with Phillip. It is assumed that she died there, and was buried in the “family “ cemetery. She had a sister, who was blind...Mary Gardner married Francis Tucker, probably between 1834 & 40. They lived at Freeport, where they had three sons James, who went to Montana to prospect for gold about 1865, as did his brother, Henry Owen. James remained in Montana, and became a rancher in the vicinity of Billings. Here, my oldest brother, Roy, spent some months before his marriage. Later, a son of Frank Tucker went there in 1908, where he remained and “inherited” the “ranch”. It was Uncle Jim who sent the oil tinted photograph of Nancy Howell Tucker (his sister-in-law) to her daughter, Grace Tucker Barnes, about 1916...Francis A. (third son of Gardner-Tucker) remained in Freeport and married a Margaret. He served in The Civil War and is buried in the Freeport Cemetery in a grave marked by the government The Tucker family, like the Barnes Family comprises one of the 216 of America’s largest family groups. Barnes ranks 87, and Tucker 71. This family, of English origin, was early established in both Bermuda and Virginia. There is a Tucker Town in Bermuda, and the name is very common in The Tidewater & Piedmont areas of Virginia. The Tuckers were in America long prior to The Revolution...The Ohio family derives from Francis Tucker who settled near Freeport, Harrison County about the time that the township was settled in 1824. The early settlers included a member from Virginia of “the horse racing & gambling class” which formed much of the aristocrats and middle class population of Virginia”. Although, we do not have documentary evidence as to the Ohio arrival of Francis, Grace Tucker Barnes always said he was from “Old Virginia”, a term which she used to distinguish to from West Virginia. A great grandson of Francis, who was still living at Tippecanoe in 1970 also related that the family was from Virginia. Apparently this Francis was the only Tucker who settled near Freeport, where the name is well known, Is Oscar Tucker in the only one still living in that township. His family is buried in the Freeport cemetery, where there are several Tucker markers. There is also a Tucker grave in the old Presbyterian cemetery at Freeport...Francis married Mary Gardner by whom he had three sons who will be discussed later. He died sometime after 1840, perhaps as late as 1850. He may be buried in the Gardner cemetery in Tuscapawas County on the road leading to Devils Den. This first Francis had four daughters, Maggie 1878-1906, Jane, Ada, and Nora, born on Oct. 10, 1871, the day before my mother’s birth. The oldest son of Francis, John, went to Montana. The second son, Charles Francis-1870-1931 married Jessie M. 1866-1928. They are buried next to Francis the Freeport cemetery. They had five sons, twins, Francis & Johnathon, Dick, Harry and Oscar (1829) who is still living at Tippicanoe (1970)...
The third son of Francis and Mary Gardner Tucker was my grandfather, Henry Owen Tucker born in Freeport on Feb. 2, 1840 (died in Newark, on 10/11/1912. He married Nancy Howell in 1844-1913. It seems probable that the middle name “Owen” was given to him because of the 1788 marriage between the Gardner & Owen Families. In fact, it may be fanciful, but it is possible that the “Marietta Mary Gardner Owen could have been an aunt of Grandmother Mary Gardner. There is a family story of how “H. O.” had to WALK to the next county to ask his mother’s permission for his marriage. He was not quite 21, but alas, the point of the story of the “long walk” has been lost, as the distance was no more than five or ten miles. Shortly after the marriage in 1864, H.O. went to Montana with his brother James and Dodd Morris (the husband of Nancy’s older sister) Jane Howell Morris) en route back to Ohio, Dodd died and is buried in St. Louis. H.O. brought gold nuggets & jewelry back made from gold that he had prospected. Grace Tucker Barnes was buried in 1965 wearing the thin gold band that her father had “mined”. Apparently, he had accumulated enough “gold” to have capitol for the several business ventures which engaged in during his lifetime...Henry Owen was not a farmer, but was active through his life in the buying and selling of horses. (Remember the Tuckers were from horse racing, gambling Virginia stock). At one time he owned several livery services, and again a grocery. His first children were born in Freeport, but at various times the family lived in the larger towns of Tuscarawas and Harrison Counties, such as Dover, New Philadelphia, Dennison, Uhricheville, and Cadiz. For a short period they lived in Centon (1844) before moving to Barnesville. Eventually, they moved to Newark, for the convenience of their sons, Bruce & Ed, who were brakemen on the railroad...Henry and Nancy had ten children, only four of which lived to maturity. The oldest, Mary Jane, was buried in a country cemetery near Cadiz, five others are buried in Uriehaville. In order of their births there were Mary Jane (9/6/1862 d. 12/25/1876), Joseph Owen (9/26/1864 d. 11/12/64), Cora Emma(8/26/1869 d.11/21/78), Grace Arvey (10/31/1871 d. 10/7/1966), James Henry (12/2/1873 d. 12/3/78), Jason Everett (1/20/1876 d.4/12/1877), and Clarence Floyd (5/25/1883 d. 9/20/84. Joseph Owen had been born and died while his father was in Montana...Arvey Grace was the oldest of the surviving children. Wm. Thompson 1/31/1878 d. 4/24/1960 became a carpenter & located in Wheeling. His wife was Helen and bore four children, Grace, Virginia, Alber, and William, Jr. Albert Bruce 5/17/1880 d.8/26/1956 (
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|