I'm a family historian from Mission, British Columbia, Canada. My main family line is from ROBERT DEMPSTER of Willingdon and Broadwater, Sussex (b c.1796-1837), with connections to BUNDUCK, DAVIES, DAWSON, DENMAN, DUKE, ELLMAN, FENNING, GAITSKELLS, HEATHERLY, NORRIS, OSBORN, ROUNSEFELL, and WAFFORD. Localities of interest are Erith and Lewisham in Kent; Guildford, Croydon, and Mitcham in Surrey; Glynde, Brighton, Willingdon, Broadwater, and Offington in Sussex; Madras, India; Australia; Canada; and the USA (Seattle, Wash.).
The following summary will illustrate how the family lines are connected.
James DEMPSTER (the second) of Mitcham, Sry, m. (1) Sarah OSBORN of Croydon, Sry, in Kensington, Mdsx, 1786. Sarah was the daughter of Robert OSBORN of Croydon, Surrey. She died in Mitcham, Surrey, in 1800. James married secondly Ann BUNDUCK (widow), in Erith, Kent, in 1803; they had no children. Ann brought a daughter, Augusta Frances BUNDUCK, into the marriage. James was Master of Baron House Academy in Mitcham; he died there in 1821. Ann died in Brighton, Ssx, in 1858.
James and Sarah Osborn had the following children:
1. James, born and died Mitcham, Sry, 1787
2. James, born Mitcham 1788; died Crawley, Ssx, 1857; married (1) Augusta Frances BUNDUCK, (2) Sarah; Master of Baron House, and later Eagle House Academy in Mitcham
3. Sarah Elizabeth, born Mitcham 1790; married Thomas Heaton NORRIS
4. Mary Ann, born Mitcham 1791
5. Richard, born c.1794; died 1873, Eccleshall, Staff.; married Ann WAFFORD; lawyer
6. John Smith, born c.1795; died 1868, Sandgate, Kent; fathered a child by Jane DUKE; married Catherine WAFFORD; schoolmaster
7. Robert (see Note 1 below), born c.1796; died 1837, Offington, Ssx; married Mary Ann DENMAN
Note 1: Robert DEMPSTER and Mary Ann DENMAN married in Willingdon, Ssx, 1825. Mary Ann was the daughter of John and Ann (HEATHERLY) DENMAN, born Willingdon, 1804.
Robert MAY BE the youngest son of James Dempster and Sarah Osborn. There is persuasive circumstantial evidence linking him to this family, but his birth record has not been found after seventeen years of searching. He was a joint tenant farmer with Arnold DENMAN in Willingdon, later relocating to Offington in Broadwater, Ssx. He died in 1837 at Offington; Mary Ann died at Guildford, Sry, in 1891.
Robert and Mary Ann had the following children:
1. Robert (see Note 2 below), born Willingdon, Ssx, 1827; died Guildford, Sry, 1893; married Catherine ELLMAN 1855; surgeon, India Medical Service
2. Ann, born and died Willingdon, Ssx, 1828
3. William, born Willingdon, Ssx, 1829; died Toorak, Australia, 1898; married Margaret Herbert DAVIES; banker
4. George, born Willingdon, Ssx, 1831; died at sea 1861
5. Fanny, born Broadwater, Ssx, c.1836; died Willingdon, Ssx, 1866; spinster
Note 2: Robert DEMPSTER married Catherine ELLMAN in Hove, 1855. Catherine's father was George ELLMAN, son of John ELLMAN, renowned sheep breeder in the Glynde area.
Robert and Catherine departed for India shortly after their marriage, where Robert served as Assistant Surgeon for the East India Co., assigned to Madras. He was later a surgeon in the 39th Native Infantry, and was based at St. Thomas Mount, Madras, when he retired in 1883.
Robert and Catherine had the following children:
1. Catherine (Kate) Emma, born India; died England; spinster
2. Robert William George, born India; died Adelaide, South Australia, 1931; attended Eliot Bank School, Lewisham, Kent, 1881; Anglican minister
3. William Arnold, born India; died Seattle, Wash., USA, 1942; attended Eliot Bank School, Lewisham, Kent, 1881; married Mary Chipman ROUNSEFELL in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 1890; landscaper
4. Anne, born India; died before 1927; married GAITSKELLS
5. Mary, born India; married Col. Francis William DAWSON. Their child, Mary Frances GLADYS Maude Dawson, married Lt. Col. William Maxwell FENNING
I'd be very happy to hear from anyone who has like connections, and I'd be most grateful for primary evidence of Robert Dempster's birth c.1796.
With respect, and best wishes for successful researching,
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|