Surnames involved = Manzoian, Aslanian, Surabian, Najarian, Ahronian, Harootonian, Manoogian, Mamigoian, Tashjian
I just received a letter from my mother's cousin with information regarding the Manzoians and the Surabians from an oral history by Andrew Surabian to his daughters Andrea and Margaret.
The Surabian clan all still resides in and around Worcester Massachusetts.
Ohannas Manzoian's parents were Boghos Manzoian and Anna Najarian.
Boghos had a sister, Altoon Manzoian, who married Stephen Surabian and they had 7 children: Mary, Solomon, Mitchell, Hapet, Madiros (died in genocide), Anna, and Margaret (was missing after genocide, later found with her name changed to Nebile Erdogen and married to a Turkish General).
These families were all from the village of Kesserig in Harput.
Stephen immigrated to Worcester Massachusetts around 1908 and five of his children followed after the genocide. Ohannas Manzoian stayed with Stephen after immigrating in 1909. Altoon and Madiros Surabian, and Boghos and Anna Manzoian all perished.
- Mary Surabian married Charles Ahronian and they had 2 children
- Solomon Surabian married Mary Harootonian and they had 8 children: Margaret, Martin, Andrew, Infant Harry, Harry/Butch, Surapi/Sue, Julia/Juliette, and Stephen
- Mitchell Surabian married Araxie Manoogian and they had 4 children: Alice, Albert, Nora, and Oscar
- Hapet Surabian married Ruth Mamigoian and they had 4 children: Hapet Jr, Ann, Helen, and Harold
- Anna Surabian married Egishie Tasjian and they had 3 children: Armen, Haig, and Nancy
Aghavni (Aslanian) Manzoian went by "Ida" in the US and she died in 1936.
We also strongly believe that Ohannas was NOT an only child but did in fact have siblings - we're not sure if they perished or unbeknownst to him immigrated. He never spoke of any siblings. We also believe that Boghos likely had other siblings besides Altoon.
We would also like to know who the "relative who went out to California", was that was who Ohannas was visiting when he died in Fresno in October 1972.
If any of this sounds familiar, please contact me!!
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|