Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: General Topics: American Revolution Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Re: John Willcox from Dutchess co, NY in the Revolution
Posted by: J (ID *****8954) Date: July 09, 2010 at 14:27:04
In Reply to: John Willcox from Dutchess co, NY in the Revolution by Colleen Benedickt of 18096

You do not say what Regiment he was in.

In his application of 1818 (at least) he would at least have said who his Captain was, and possible who commanded the Regiment.

When you post a query about service record you should say at least the basics of what the document you looked at said.

Since he applied in 1818, it is likely that he had at least 3 years' service in a Continental Regiment.

You can look up what officers he mentioned in F. B. Heitman's Register of Officers of the Continental Army, to get the Regiment number (such as "3rd New York Regiment, Continental"):

Once you have a proper Regiment designation you can:

1) Look for a Compiled Service Record on or

2) Look for service record in Revolutionary War Rolls, National Archives Micropublication #246. The Microfilm Roll Numbers' contents are listed on this dandy web site:

--these rosters listed in #2 are what the Compiled Service Records in #1 were extracted from.

Once you have the microfilm number, you can browse through images of the rosters on the appropriate microfilm roll on, or ask your library to borrow the microfilm roll(s), for you to look at (at the library) through inter-library loan, from the National Archives. Libraries generally charge a few dollars per microfilm roll for this service.

Your local library may also subscribe to or for patron use at the library. Each of these database-source sites has free trial periods as well.

Your genealogical questions are best posted on surname message board or message boards for Counties of residence, since they are not about the Revolutionary War.

You can, however, look on the DAR's web site to see if anyone has joined DAR under your man's service. If so, the listing gives names and usually spouse name for at least some of the descendants of the Patriot. The web site also has instructions and a form to download for ordering a Record Copy of a DAR applicant from the DAR Library:

--do read the introductory material, there are a couple of layers of pages before you actually get to the search form. Be sure to try spelling variants; there is no provision for using "wild card" characters to search.

Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network